Hello Guest

tracker/sidekick twin sticks install.. with pictures

• 37 Replies

Offline Jluck

tracker/sidekick twin sticks install.. with pictures
« on: August 24, 2010, 09:26:36 PM »
well couldn't find any install pictorials on line so here one is, probably not the best but it should help.

first step is to get the case out and on the bench.

remove the shifter cover

remove roll pin (careful to not drop it in to t/case) (I used a magnet to catch it)

remove large nut on side below shift tower, (remove and discard spring,detent ball and machined t shaped "thingy" you cas see it in middle pic)(its in the cast shift rail hub just back of the roll pin)

remove nut, spring and detent ball from top of case directly above the range rail, there are two identical detent bolts (remove passenger side)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 02:21:50 PM by Jluck »
life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do about it!

Offline Jluck

Re: tracker/sidekick twin sticks install.. with pictures
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 09:51:25 PM »
NEXT>>>>>

turn t/case around, now looking at the front.

remove locking tab on lower gear cluster

remove all bolts

simply pull apart (careful not to loose little steel balls on shaft) ;D

remove lower gear cluster in one piece (there is another steel ball on rear)

gently pull out range rail with fork and engaging ring.

Offline Jluck

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 10:01:03 PM »
ALL THAT JUST TO GET WHAT.........

put a magnet down the range shifter hole, about 1" down you will find the pesky "center detent ball" (or "pill) yep that's what your after! ;)

assemble in reverse order.

Offline Jluck

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 10:17:05 PM »
next...

remove the shifter sheet (little plastic ring found under stock shifter)

fit the shifters in to there new home. ;D ;D ;D

I used rock4x's shifters and am very happy with the product and tech support the owner Scott is a good guy.

I had to take the shifters apart and put the boot and rings on from the bottom because of the way I bent my levers. FYI

GENTLY tap the lubed base in to shifter tower (making sure the shift sheet is removed)

put on boot and set screws as per rock4x's instructions.

in a nut shell your done!!! ;) 
I will finish the interior when I do the interior resto I have planned.

Offline Jluck

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 10:25:16 PM »
a couple other useless things....

on my shifters I used heat shrink tubing to add another element of sound/vibration proofing.
the boot is a aftermarket Dana 300 unit.

and here's a pic of the discarded parts from the t/case internals. detent balls (1 from between the rails and 1 from the large nut just below the shifter tower) detent spring and pill both also from large nut below tower. and the shifter sheet.

I do want to say these shifters are sweet!!  soooo..crisp and positive, worth every penny! I think there half worn out just from shifting them a million times in the shop!!LOL :laugh:

I hope this posting is of some value.  ???
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 10:32:45 PM by Jluck »

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 12:10:52 AM »
Those do look good.  Makes me want to have a set, maybe after I the Tracker running again.  Your photo's make it look easy.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 04:28:17 AM »
Good stuff... Thanks for the details.

Zig
TP up
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

Offline Jluck

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 07:14:10 AM »
ah heck your rig don't need to run brd hntr (mine don't, just sit in 'er make motor noises and shift those sticks!!) :laugh:
and it really is easy, if I figured it out anyone can. I have anotherone to do out here soon so I will take better (uncluttered)  pics. 8)

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 07:28:37 AM »
ah heck your rig don't need to run brd hntr (mine don't, just sit in 'er make motor noises and shift those sticks!!) :laugh:
and it really is easy, if I figured it out anyone can. I have anotherone to do out here soon so I will take better (uncluttered)  pics. 8)

Here is a sample of my motor noise.  the motor does run full time now, just need to get rest of wiring, drive line, etc.
http://picasaweb.google.com/CrawlersNW/TrackerEngineSwap#5495273182673007586

Those are still cool sticks.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 07:31:05 AM »
 Ya' know, if you guys DON'T stop showing off your latest and greatest gadgets and ideas, I "might" be able to get somewhere with my build A WHOLE LOT sooner.  :P   Very helpful for another upgrade to my "Rhino".

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 09:37:35 AM »
Thanks a lot, I'm doing this soon, as soon as my transfer case arrives.  Already got the sticks.  Want it in ASAP so I can drive this damn thing!  September is almost here... >:(
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.  Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
90 Tracker LSi 2dr tintop 5spd: slow toy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08 Pontiac G8 GT: fast toy
90 Tracker LSi 2dr 5spd: SOLD.......95 Tracker 2dr 5spd: parts..........90 Sidekick JX 5spd: HI, my name's DJ and I have an addiction.........93 Tracker 2dr 2wd 5spd: PS donor/poss. 4x4 swap from 95 parts

Offline rockrat

• Got Ringr
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 08:18:42 PM »
Thanks for the detailed Right up Jared

-Scott

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 12:56:41 PM »
The left stick is 2-4, and the right stick controls L-N-H, correct?
Does anyone have a diagram of this shift pattern?
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.  Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
90 Tracker LSi 2dr tintop 5spd: slow toy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08 Pontiac G8 GT: fast toy
90 Tracker LSi 2dr 5spd: SOLD.......95 Tracker 2dr 5spd: parts..........90 Sidekick JX 5spd: HI, my name's DJ and I have an addiction.........93 Tracker 2dr 2wd 5spd: PS donor/poss. 4x4 swap from 95 parts

Offline Jluck

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 01:57:10 PM »
2wd           Low
                 N
4wd           High

;)

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 02:26:50 PM »
That's the exact pattern that I was picturing, just by looking at the shift rods and comparing their positions to the old pattern on the knob.  Thanks for spelling it out like that  ;D