Hello Guest

tracker/sidekick twin sticks install.. with pictures

• 37 Replies

Offline Jluck

Re: tracker/sidekick twin sticks install.. with pictures
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 02:56:29 PM »
no prob. ;)
life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do about it!

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 04:18:18 PM »
ACTUALLY, mine doesn't follow that pattern.  Double check it for me.  I'm thinking it's:

4wd               Low
                     Neutral
2wd               High

I tried it as you described it, with the case sitting in my lap, and the front output was spinning when the left stick was in the forward position.  Compare the old shift pattern to the positions of the shift rails, and it makes sense that 2wd would be with the left stick pulled back, not pushed forward.  I think you had the 2-4 pattern reversed accidentally.
Either that, or I have the ultra-rare, backwards-shifting Tracker transfer case  :laugh:

Thanks for the detailed Right up Jared

-Scott
Scott, quick question for you.  You instructed me over the phone to remove the "pill" at the top of the rear case.  I did, to get the sticks back in, but Brent at Trail Tough told me I shouldn't have to remove it.  After I put the sticks in, I can re-install the pill and it doesn't affect the shifter, it still goes into L-N-H just fine on the right stick.  Do I need to leave it out, or did you tell me to remove it just so it would be easier to slide the stick into the shift shaft?
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.  Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
90 Tracker LSi 2dr tintop 5spd: slow toy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08 Pontiac G8 GT: fast toy
90 Tracker LSi 2dr 5spd: SOLD.......95 Tracker 2dr 5spd: parts..........90 Sidekick JX 5spd: HI, my name's DJ and I have an addiction.........93 Tracker 2dr 2wd 5spd: PS donor/poss. 4x4 swap from 95 parts

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 06:50:33 PM »
I think I'm gonna leave the "pill" in the side at the top.  I have to remove it to get the sticks in, but once they're in, the pill fits right back in and doesn't affect anything.  I want to leave it in because it feels like there's less side-to-side slop in the stick...the spring puts a little preload on it to tighten it up a bit.
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.  Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
90 Tracker LSi 2dr tintop 5spd: slow toy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08 Pontiac G8 GT: fast toy
90 Tracker LSi 2dr 5spd: SOLD.......95 Tracker 2dr 5spd: parts..........90 Sidekick JX 5spd: HI, my name's DJ and I have an addiction.........93 Tracker 2dr 2wd 5spd: PS donor/poss. 4x4 swap from 95 parts

Offline Jluck

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 01:54:43 AM »
yep, I think your correct. :-[...its been a long week. lots of work and little sleep. I had to sneak out at 11 pm to work on my kick just to get some time in on 'er (its now 2am) :sleepy:

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 02:19:06 AM »
It's now 2am here where I am, too...I just came in from working on mine.
You know, there's a joke for people like you and I that are constantly busy...they say "when do you ever have time to ___?" and you say "oh between midnight and 2am" well in this case, it's TRUE  :laugh:
I just got my oil pan and rear main put up and the front axle put back together.  I've tightened the bolts already, but I'm gonna let that RTV set up and torque it down in the morning when I return home from class.
Also, picked up my steam cleaner yesterday, so today I steamed my skidplates, trans/t-case assy. and some other small stuff.  Nice and shiny...got the old t-case removed and will get the new case bolted to the trans tomorrow so I can get it up as soon as the flywheel and clutch are bolted up.  It's coming together quickly  ;D
Oh, and don't forget the ricer taillights I just had to put on  ::) I can only hope they last long enough and don't turn yellow.

Jluck, also, is that the Dana 300 twin boot you've got?  Like the shifter knobs 8)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 02:23:06 AM by djlantis57 »

Offline heiney.5

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 11:12:06 AM »
I'm just catching up on some these posts....Nice write up JLuck.

I installed a twinstick in my Geo when I went to 4:1. I was fortunate enough to buy a tcase with the gears already installed. When I installed my twinstick I did NOT take the case apart. So now you got me wandering if thats going to be an issue.... I'm pretty sure I was told that all I have to do is take that big bolt/guide, remove the spring and ball. I can't remember if I removed one ball or two not sure....hmmmm....gonna have to dig through some pictures....

Its been working fine, so idk atm. Well anyways, nice info.
Difficult takes a day. Impossible takes a week.

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2010, 01:05:35 PM »
I'm pretty sure I was told that all I have to do is take that big bolt/guide, remove the spring and ball.
That's the one at the rear case near the shifter case...but the other detent ball is internally, I believe it is between the two shift shafts, and prevents you from going into N or LO unless in 4wd...but you say it all works, shifts into 2 and 4, high neutral and low, no problems?  ...maybe the person who sold you the case had already had a twin stick and removed that internal detent ???

Offline Jluck

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2010, 08:16:10 PM »
"I'm pretty sure I was told that all I have to do is take that big bolt/guide, remove the spring and ball. "

if you can get 2wd low range the detent ball is gone. its the one in between the shift rails that you MUST remove the shifter fork to access. see pics. (the one with the little blue magnet stick in) shows the ball. its not spring loaded just a floater that one shift rail pops out to keep from getting in to low range with out being in 4wd.  8) clear as mud?

Offline heiney.5

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2010, 05:01:51 PM »
Well "I" didnt remove any ball between the shift rails, because I did not crack open the case. And no the seller did not know I was going to be in the twinstick, but maybe they left it out for the possiblity of the later upgrade....idk....

I posted in this picture in a previous post....these are the only parts I removed...

http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/technical-discussion-performance-modify/t-case-4-24-install-please-help/msg228432/#msg228432
they talk about this very "ball" in this thread. You would have thought I would have thought about it then. Hmmm.

I do have 2lo and twinsticks, so if 2lo is only possible with this internal ball removed, then I guess someone else removed it.....yay for me. I got lucky for once....

SO the lesson here for me is to remove this ball when ever I open up a tcase, twinstick is so worth it. Thanks again for the Good write-up.
Difficult takes a day. Impossible takes a week.

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2010, 09:13:27 AM »
heiney.5, I had to remove that in order to install the sticks, but I re-installed it...and it all works fine...if anything, the spring takes up some of the slack in the sticks, they don't have so much wobble now

I just put a small bend in each stick, 3" down, bent them outwards...painted flat black...they look good, and shift great...the inside DOES look like a forklift now  :laugh:
but seriously, it's almost running (just have to add gear oil), then I will REALLY get a chance to try them out.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 12:57:27 PM by djlantis57 »

Offline vw505

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2010, 02:58:56 PM »
what brand twin sticks are you running

Offline Jluck

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2010, 04:24:22 PM »
Rock4x

Offline vw505

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2010, 09:55:46 AM »
can you get me a link to were to get them?

Offline Jluck

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2010, 10:11:54 AM »
Call Scott at rock4x. 1 (847) 672-9653

Offline smife

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2012, 04:34:59 PM »
Ok I finally got my gears and twin sticks in. It wasn't that hard other than me trying to get in a hurry and not thinking logically!!  hahaha

L

N

4wd    H

2wd    

This is how my stick are positioned. I don't like it. Maybe I just need to do some bending or cutting?

What should I use for a boot, Dana 300 twin?