Hello Guest

[OPPINIONs NEEDED] Lift/Accessories. ;D

• 16 Replies

Offline 87Sav

[OPPINIONs NEEDED] Lift/Accessories. ;D
« on: August 22, 2010, 01:48:05 PM »
Hey guys,
First off I'd like to introduce myself.
My name is Trenton. I am a 16 year old Samurai Guy. I've had my samurai for 2 years. It was pretty useless. We haven't had much money so all we've done is tuned it up, put new seats/apolstried(I know I didn't get that right but I'll get to that point in a sec.), and put in a cheap radio (had to do a couple homemade stuff to put it in the dash). Anyways. I'm kinda new to this technical stuff with automobiles, but if you do get technical then I will just show me step dad, lol. He's like an advanced mechanic. Anyways. I have a pretty stocked Suzuki Samurai '87 so far. I'm looking for this. I don't really want to 4x4 off road it YET. I'm just looking for it to look good on the road. ;) I wanted it lifted pretty high, --What height should I lift it to? I was thinking 6" to 8" (If you have pictures of around there can you please attach them? ;) I was also wondering what size tired and rims. Since I am looking for road compatible for right now, I'm looking for some more than normal huge tired, stable though. I love the monster truck look. Also, I'm very unique. I love my truck to stand out from others. Right now it's an ugly red :// I want to paint it a color (Not too good with colors lol) I have dark blue seats. I was thinking a light blue. Please give me some suggestion, if you can, give me the exact color name so I can write it down and show the shop. Umm... I'm looking for a benchseat for the bed. if anyone has anything cheap like that to sell please send me a pm and we'll talk. other than that if you have a good price one somewhere on the internet that would be GREAT! Anything else I should know, leave a comment! Thanks, I'll let you know more once I think of it. :P
Thanks in advanced,
Trenton.
 '87Sav

Offline my996duc1

Re: [OPPINIONs NEEDED] Lift/Accessories. ;D
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 09:02:04 PM »
the higher you lift it the more work will be involved to keep it as a daily driver. You can go with a spring over axle lift (spoa) and keep it pretty simple but once you get a certain amount of lift it will cause steering issues, driveshaft issues, ect...

alot of informatiion out there but the more mods you do will increase your chances of opening a can of worms/problems keeping it street driveable.

Lots of great info on this website here and you can also
seach these for tons of reading online:
Ack's FAQ
Zuwharrie
Zukikrallers
Pirate 4x4 (read only... do NOT post on this forum as a newbie)

try craigslist for Sami parts.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 09:07:41 PM by my996duc1 »
1987 Tintop / 1.6 16V ps & ac / 6.4 t-case Twisted TT / 4.30 R&P Hybrid rear / Double Tough axles / Shrockworks all around / ARB f&r / Mighty Kong & TT full skid / DS disconnect / CV shafts f & r / YJ missing links f & r / Petroworks tintop cage / 15 gal Tank / 31" x 12.50 Pro Comps

Offline lv2fsh

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 09:31:56 PM »
If you lift it much passed 3" or so, you're going to have to address steering and brake issue. Even then you have to do something about your shocks. With a modest lift, you can run larger tires with a little trimming. Then with larger tires there's the power issue. You will either need gears or a bigger engine. Every change effects something else and there is no free advantage. Ask some of these guys what they spent to lift their rigs. To do it right and make it reliable is not cheap unless you compare it to other types of vehicles.

Offline 87Sav

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 06:57:52 AM »
Awesome, we found an SPOA on rocky road outfitters and should be getting it by the time we get the money. We are going to get I think they're called Reverse Rims. Where they stick out a bit and make it more stable.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:04:09 AM by 87Sav »

Offline lv2fsh

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 08:25:25 AM »
I would go on Zukikrawlers and do a little research on Rocky road before you order JMHO

Offline my996duc1

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 09:00:39 AM »
WHOA... hold that thought.... you need do some research on RRO (Rocky Road Offroad).
They are usually the first Sami parts place when you look up stuff to come up and they have a nice looking website BUT you need to do some research first.
In my opinion (and yes, I have bought from RRO)... I would set me Sami on fire and push it off a cliff if RRO was the last place on earth to buy parts from. Speaking of fire.... if they were on fire, I wouldn't piss on them to put it out.
I will never buy from them again and will make it a life mission when someone talks about it, to give them my thoughts based on the experience that I had with them.

Good places that I can think of off the top of my head :
Trail Tough : http://www.trailtough.com/
Petroworks : http://www.petroworks.com/
Low Range : http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/suzuki.html
ZOR  : http://www.zuksoffroad.com/
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 09:16:03 AM by my996duc1 »
1987 Tintop / 1.6 16V ps & ac / 6.4 t-case Twisted TT / 4.30 R&P Hybrid rear / Double Tough axles / Shrockworks all around / ARB f&r / Mighty Kong & TT full skid / DS disconnect / CV shafts f & r / YJ missing links f & r / Petroworks tintop cage / 15 gal Tank / 31" x 12.50 Pro Comps

Offline lv2fsh

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 10:49:25 AM »
See what I mean.

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 01:42:59 PM »
Awesome, we found an SPOA on rocky road outfitters and should be getting it by the time we get the money. We are going to get I think they're called Reverse Rims. Where they stick out a bit and make it more stable.

Don't forget that all the vendors that my996duc1 listed sell SPOA kits as well.  Sky Manufacturing also sells SPOA kits, from basic to deluxe
http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new/index.php
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.  Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
90 Tracker LSi 2dr tintop 5spd: slow toy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08 Pontiac G8 GT: fast toy
90 Tracker LSi 2dr 5spd: SOLD.......95 Tracker 2dr 5spd: parts..........90 Sidekick JX 5spd: HI, my name's DJ and I have an addiction.........93 Tracker 2dr 2wd 5spd: PS donor/poss. 4x4 swap from 95 parts

Offline 87Sav

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 07:30:02 PM »
Hey thanks for the quick replies! I checked all those sites, they seem really good, but I'm looking for a 6" lift. Highest they have (or that I've seen on there) is 5". Anyone know of anything good (and budget able) that has a 6" lift?

Offline 87Sav

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 07:34:53 PM »
Oh and one more thing(Sorry for double posting)
With a 6" lift what size tires should I get? I'm looking to get a possibly very big and stable tire.

Offline lv2fsh

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 10:15:24 PM »
Well you could do a body lift or longer shackles but if your set on it we tried to warn ya.

Offline my996duc1

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 10:16:04 PM »
Oh and one more thing(Sorry for double posting)
With a 6" lift what size tires should I get? I'm looking to get a possibly very big and stable tire.

the bigger the tire the harder it will be to turn for the engine...then you will need to do gearing then also.
a never ending cycle or addiction  :)   modify one thing and then something else needs done.

I would go with the Trail Tough deluxe SPOA and then you have a good base to expand on later if you want too/get the $$$$ too.

Here is an OLD pic of mine with the Trail Tough SPOA kit and Trail Tough 2" lifted Bonz-Eye springs with 31" tires.

Here is how it sits now with Trail Tough YJ kit with missing links front and rear on 31" tires. I am running a 5 leaf springs with an additional main leaf added (making them 6 leaf). It now sits about an 1.25" higher than it did before. I plan on going to a 33" tire if these tires ever wear out.

and stretched out abit....

« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 10:18:41 PM by my996duc1 »

Offline 87Sav

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 10:19:02 PM »
wow haha that's EXACTLY what I had pictured. Um.. How much did it cost to get it running good with those performances? + list of what I'd have to do, please.?
I don't really know the difference between a SPOA or a body lift. All I know so far is that a 6" SPOA will lift my body 6" from the tires and putting on bigger tires will effect the big look anymore. that's what I want, is to look big :P I will do ANYTHING to get that look but be cautious of my beloved truck too :D

Offline my996duc1

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 10:35:04 PM »
wow haha that's EXACTLY what I had pictured. Um.. How much did it cost to get it running good with those performances? + list of what I'd have to do, please.?
I don't really know the difference between a SPOA or a body lift. All I know so far is that a 6" SPOA will lift my body 6" from the tires and putting on bigger tires will effect the big look anymore. that's what I want, is to look big :P I will do ANYTHING to get that look but be cautious of my beloved truck too :D

if you look at your springs they are mounted to the bottom of the axle now... the s.p.o.a. (spring over axle) kit will move the spring to the top of the axle. the body lift is just adding a spacer between the body and the frame.... maybe a Trail Tough deluxe spoa with a 1" or 2" body lift will get you the look you want.

mine has way too much $$$$$ and time involved for what you are looking for. I tried to have mine look clean, very capable off-road, and still be able to drive it to work a few days a week...

Here is what I can remember right off the top of my head....

1987 Tintop
- 1.6 16v engine swap with power steering and ac
- 10 x 15 Pro Comp wheels (all 5 wheels)
- 31 x 12.5 - 15 Pro Comp XTerrains (all 5 tires)
- Hybrid rear axle w/ 4.30 gears
- TT 6.4 t-case (being built)
- TT double tough axles
- ARB lockers front and rear & compressor
- Shrockworks front winch bumper
- Shrockworks rear tire carrier bumper
- Shrockworks sliders
- Highlift jack
- TT rear drive shaft disconnect
- TT cv front drive shaft
- JE Reel cv rear drive shaft
- TT skid plate
- Mighty Kong t-case cradle
- TT YJ spoa with missing links front and rear
- YJ 6 pack custom springs all 4 corners
- Petroworks 15gal gas tank
- T-Max 9000lb winch
- Mud Buster fender flares
and then the usual small stuff like CB / stereo / fire ext.... ect...

It started off as a hobbie and has now become an addiction.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 10:36:35 PM by my996duc1 »

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 01:03:14 AM »
BTW great job on that paint on the tintop sami.  At first glance it looks like a removeable hardtop, then you realize it's a tintop rig...great job
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.  Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
90 Tracker LSi 2dr tintop 5spd: slow toy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08 Pontiac G8 GT: fast toy
90 Tracker LSi 2dr 5spd: SOLD.......95 Tracker 2dr 5spd: parts..........90 Sidekick JX 5spd: HI, my name's DJ and I have an addiction.........93 Tracker 2dr 2wd 5spd: PS donor/poss. 4x4 swap from 95 parts