• 19 Replies

Offline Mvjlt

Hub Rebuilding Problem/Questions
« on: August 11, 2010, 07:48:24 AM »

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: Hub Rebuilding Problem/Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 08:33:10 AM »
There is not a center bolt on these axles.  You should run into a retaining clip at some point though, a set of good flathead screwdrivers will take that off.

As for rebuild kits, no idea.  Hawk Suzuki would be a good place to start as they usually have the off-the-wall parts.  All you really should need to do is pull it off, put some new grease in and some gaskets or a little silicone sealer.  I switched to silicone after I destroyed the last set of gaskets, haven't had an issue yet with water damage.  But I do tend to stay out of the wet stuff, don't want to get the paint dirty.  :D
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Mvjlt

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 11:10:21 AM »
Just to make sure we are on the same page. I have attached a picture of more or less what mine looks like. In the middle of the axle you can see threads where it looks like a bolt goes. The walk thru I was reading showed a bolt and a washer in the middle. I guess what I am getting at is if the 87 Sammy does not have a bolt that goes there then what does?

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 07:49:29 PM »
I think that is how you get the outer stub apart from the birfield,
I think SideKicks have the same hole, but no bolt

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 08:32:11 PM »

That is an unusual Samurai locking nut setup...  Everyone that I have seen has two large nuts instead of what is shown above.  Odd.

The center bolt hole has always been a mystery to me.  I have never found a reason for it's existance and have never found a bolt installed in a running unit.  My guess is that it's function possibly has something to do maintenence of the birfield axle shaft itself.
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline Mvjlt

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 09:13:10 PM »
Wow what a relief thanks for the information guys I appreciate it, one other question is how do I tell if those springs on the inside of the hub are worn out?

Offline wildgoody

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 10:05:22 PM »
If they are broken, replace them, but other than that
clean them up and lube the hub lightly or it won't work
because it can't move internally

Wild

Offline Mvjlt

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 01:06:26 PM »
Thanks for all yalls help i finally just found the gaskets and that O ring at a Toyota dealer ship, I am hoping it was my hubs that were messed up. I could shift it into 4wd but the wheels would not turn. So i am hoping after i rebuild the hubs my 4wd will work. One other quick question does any body know where i can find that 4WD indicator light sensor. The one that turns on the little green 4WD light in the cab?

Offline wildgoody

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 03:31:40 PM »
That's a switch in the T-case

Wild

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 08:58:48 AM »
Salvage yards are a place to look for a 4x4 switch.  Be sure to match the connector, though because it changed around 1989.

Also, give Hawk's Strictly Suzuki (888 SAMURAI) a call if you can't find one locally.

Finally, if it is the dash bulb that needs replacing, you can find one at an auto parts store. They are not special.  Getting the dash gage cluster out is a bit tricky.  You have to loosen (not remove!) the two Torx bolts that hold the steeing column in place in order to lower the steering column enough for the cluster to clear the Emergency flasher "button".

I hope that this helps!
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline Mvjlt

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 07:48:02 AM »

Offline wildgoody

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 09:45:50 AM »
should turn easy

Offline Mvjlt

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 03:45:42 PM »
So say it doesn't turn easy, any ideas on what would cause it to be hard to turn

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 05:36:36 PM »
So say it doesn't turn easy, any ideas on what would cause it to be hard to turn

You probably didn't take the dial part out of the hub cover, did you?  You have to take a big snap ring off the backside of the hub cover and the dial will push out the back of the hub cover.  There is a small ball and spring that will be in the side of the dial and they will likely shoot out and be lost forever, if you aren't paying attention when you pop the dial out.  The ball and spring give the dial the "click" feeling when you turn it to free and lock.  Anyway, once you get the dial out, there is a rubber oring around the outside of it, clean it and the hub cover up really good (I use brake cleaner) and lightly grease the mating surfaces with some wheel bearing grease and reassemble (don't forget to put the spring and ball back in).  Put some wheel bearing grease on the backside of the dial, where the snap ring will ride, put the snap ring back on, turn the dial back and forth several times, to make sure it is working smoothly.  Put the hub cover back on and the hubs should turn very easy.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 05:38:24 PM »
Oh, and as far as the threaded hole in the end of the axleshaft.....the only thing I have ever used it for is to thread a bolt into, to pull the axleshaft out enough to get the snap ring on the axle (easier than trying to pull on a greasy stub shaft).
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.