Hello Guest

GVs good off road-Break Easy?

• 9 Replies

GVs good off road-Break Easy?
« on: June 11, 2010, 04:54:20 PM »
A few months ago I purchased a 2002 GV Limited ;D. Been happy with it since but have thought about putting a lift kit and new larger tires on it. My question is, are these things good off road? I mean, are they cheap and break easy on the trail? I don't suppose it will hold up like a Jeep Rubicon but I wanted to get the opinion of everyone who owns one of these and takes it off road before I start throwing money at it.  It may be best to just drive it on the street (but what fun is that, right?). Thoughts?

On a second note, I have heard some positive things about this guy named Jeff's lift kit. Does anyone know how much lift you get with it? I have also read that the OME springs and strut/shock combo is pretty good. Would this be a good combo to put on my rig?
Anyone know the proper way to lift one of these? Sorry about the NewB questions. I have done some research and was interested in the Rocky Road 4.5 inch lift/Rock Steady but have heard some bad things about the spacers. Anyone use this setup with Jeff's spacers? Thanks.

Offline Frank84

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
Re: GVs good off road-Break Easy?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 08:07:56 PM »
The drivetrain should hold up fine for moderate off road use.  These things have light duty parts but they are under a light vehicle so are a good match.  The biggest problem I always have is the low stance so you have the right idea to get a lift under the truck first.  These things are extremely maneuverable (especially a 2-door!) so they can get  into places and around obstacles that the larger trucks can't.  After clearance my second concern is traction: the stock front struts don't have much travel and the rear isn't that great either so you can get cross-axled easily if you don't have a locker or something.  If you remove the front strut you'll see that it actually has a decent amount of travel, but the factory suspension design makes poor use of it - strut spacers (like Jeff's) and/or OME struts can help this a bit.

Jeff's kit gives you 2" of lift, OME springs give 30mm (1.2"), and calmini has a 2.5" kit that seems to get mixed reviews.  There are some body lifts too if you're trying to fit in bigger tires.  Careful with going too big on the tires though unless you're willing to re-gear the axles.  It seems like a 29" (235/75/15 or 225/75/16) is popular.  I've got 27.5" (215/75/15) and I'm not willing to go larger than that with my little 2.0L while I'm still daily driving the car. 

Lifting the rear end is easy since it is a solid axle, but the front has some challenges.  If you go too high, you need to lower the front diff to keep the CV angles happy.  With the MacPherson strut front suspension you can only adjust toe in/out on the alignment easily.  When you lift it you may need camber bolts to get things back in line.  OME struts are designed to work with their springs that give 30mm of lift so they keep the camber in alignment with the small lift.  Calmini's replacement control arms do the same thing for their 2.5" lift.  Rocky Road's kit needs the camber bolts.  I think you need the bolts with Jeff's kit but someone may correct me here because he has a strut spacer which may actually correct the angle - I'm not sure.  There are a bunch of rear shocks that give more travel, but only the OME front strut has more travel than the stock ones as far as I know.

You asked about using Jeff's spacers with Rocky Road's kit.  This is basically just adding the 2" spacers to the OME springs so you get a 3.2" suspension lift (plus the 2" body lift).  I don't know if anyone is running this but it must be close to the limit for the front CV's without providing a diff drop bracket like Calmini does on their 2.5" kit.  I'm only guessing though, but I wouldn't think Calmini would provide extra parts just for the heck of it.
2001 2 Door Tracker, 4x4, 2.0, 5 speed, 215/75/15
Jeff's 2" lift, OME shocks/struts, Sh*t on the fly removed, warn hubs

Offline Canazuk

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 10:05:53 PM »
http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/suzuki-grand-vitara-vitara-chevy-tracker-%28gen-2-platform%29-1999-2005/99-05-vitara-grand-vitara-xl-7-tracker-2%27-suspension-lift/

I just got this lift and it is great, It is like jeffs kit but it is made out of metal rather then plastic and is far more complete, the hardware that the strut support bar bolts to is made from one solid piece of aluminum instead of 3 plastic pedistals to allow the bar to do its job rather then just being there for looks, also it relocates the panhard bar back to its factory geomitry unlike other kits. its well worh the money
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 10:12:31 PM by Canazuk »

Offline dwh1956

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 05:34:04 PM »
I was just pm'ing with Jeff about his kit his answer to my questions is:

I do not have a site you can go to to see the kit. It comes with 1.5" coil and strut spacers fro the front and 2" coil spacers for the rear. It also comes with strut brace spacers and all needed hardware. The only thing you need to get is longer rear shocks. The prices are: $175 total shipped to the US or $190 to Canada. I am leaving on vacation with my family in the morning and will be gone until 6-20-10. If you email between now and then I am not ignoring you, just away from the computer. I accept payment thru paypal or a money order and ship as soon as I get the payment. You can call me if you like: 618-304-8564.

Thanks, Jeff

I also saw in a thread somewhere that jeff sells these to LowRange:  http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index.php/suzuki/tracker-vitara-gv-xl7/suspension/basic-and-complete-2-inch-spacer-budget-lift-kits.html

Still not positive which way I'm going to go like you I've heard nothing bad about Jeffs and quite a few people seem to be using his, but the ones mentioned above are very intriguing as well.

dwh

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 09:06:29 PM »
Thanks for the info on Jeffs kit.  Has anyone ran jeffs spacers with old man emu springs and shocks/struts?  I hear that the Rock steady kit by Rocky Road has crappy spacers. I thought it would be nice to piece together a kit of my own for the perfect kit. Anyone done this? i am not sure about doing a body lift. Impressions?  Does anyone know of a shop that could do this lift in th phoenix area? Thanks

Offline Trackerprts

• Aiirbag
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 09:44:58 PM »
Yes I have that setup on my Tracker the RR spacers are soft and mush out throwing off your alignment.
It works great.
99 Tracker pieced together out of 3 cars.             RR Body and suspension lift ,31 10.5r15
winch bumper,rock sliders

Offline Canazuk

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 09:48:41 PM »
coil spacer kits are easy to do,I wouldn't take it to a shop. I would go with the ZOR up skirt kit since aluminum does not get "soft and mushy" , it took me 2.5 hours to install mine in my old truck. Body lifts are okay if your adding to a regular lift for a bit more height (1" or 2"), but a 3" body lift is a lot for a body lift and will make you look like on of the TJ guys that parks at the mall. Running a spacer w/ a larger coil like you said may over do the angle of the front CV's and may not allow you to get your camber aligned properly. Most People say 2.5" is the limit but most coil spacers only go as far as 2"
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 09:58:25 PM by Canazuk »

Offline TNTracker

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 07:31:15 PM »
A few months ago I purchased a 2002 GV Limited ;D. Been happy with it since but have thought about putting a lift kit and new larger tires on it. My question is, are these things good off road? I mean, are they cheap and break easy on the trail? I don't suppose it will hold up like a Jeep Rubicon but I wanted to get the opinion of everyone who owns one of these and takes it off road before I start throwing money at it.  It may be best to just drive it on the street (but what fun is that, right?). Thoughts?

On a second note, I have heard some positive things about this guy named Jeff's lift kit. Does anyone know how much lift you get with it? I have also read that the OME springs and strut/shock combo is pretty good. Would this be a good combo to put on my rig?
Anyone know the proper way to lift one of these? Sorry about the NewB questions. I have done some research and was interested in the Rocky Road 4.5 inch lift/Rock Steady but have heard some bad things about the spacers. Anyone use this setup with Jeff's spacers? Thanks.

I ran Jeffs Coil Spacers and RRO 2" body lift (gave me 4" in rear and 4 1/2" in front)  with 245/75 16 (31") tires with very small frame rub on my 2001 Vitara. Jeffs kit comes with strut spacers also so you don't over extend the struts, it actually rode and drove better after the lift.

Offline jeff1997

• Suzuki: A Jeep thing only cheaper!!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 08:35:23 PM »
FYI to everyone who cares,  my spacers DO NOT get "soft and mushy", EVER. They hold up extremely well and I have never had one complaint about my products. I am just making sure everyone knows there is a huge difference between the plastic RockyRoad uses and what I use. Just my .02
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 08:37:26 PM by jeff1997 »
1997 4dr. Sidekick Sport 1.8L DOHC
2" coil spacers- I make and sell 1.5" and 2" on e-bay.  Look under seller: hoepkers
3" Masterkit1 body lift
Custom strut spacers
31/11.50/16 Super Swamper LTB's w/1.5" wheel spacers Steel bumpers Custom cold air intake 2" exhaust w/cherry bomb 98 Expedition, 2" lift, 35's, Magnaflow exhaust - BIG BLUE

Offline bush buster

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 09:24:11 AM »
FYI to everyone who cares,  my spacers DO NOT get "soft and mushy", EVER. They hold up extremely well and I have never had one complaint about my products. I am just making sure everyone knows there is a huge difference between the plastic RockyRoad uses and what I use. Just my .02

Not to mention less weight than the steel ones.
(FOR SALE, drop me a line) '01 Vitara 2.0, 2" suspension lift, 2" body lift, 31x10.5x15 Interco TRXUS MT's on ford truck turbine rims, 1" wheel spacers, manual hubs, 5125 gears (Sidekick rear and GV steel front). DD/bushmobile "Snowflake"

'06 Impreza - Wife's ride and road tripper

1975 Dodge 360 Sportsman 1 ton van chassis with a 21' Triple E Class C motorhome