• Evil Cow
Re: Newbie with Samurai
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 10:43:50 AM »
I think it looks good.  :)
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline doughboy0379

• Blinker fluid is free so use it........
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 11:56:48 AM »
looks good to me too, very clean looking body on it, question though what kind of wheeling do you do there, are there many large rocks it looks like your keeping the stock axles I would suggest some "diff guards" if you will be wheeling in a rocky area very often. I know on my Samurai I hit a rock and poked a hole in the front diff pretty easily.
86 Samurai, SPOA, 3" HD leaf springs, 31/10.5/15 Big-O XT Tires, K&N Air Filter, Doug Thorey Header, more coming when I find the funds :)

Offline serv

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 11:37:24 PM »
Thanks a lot for the encouragement Drone637.  I will post more pics from time to time as we progress with the modifications.  
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 11:52:23 PM by serv »

Offline serv

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 11:49:58 PM »
looks good to me too, very clean looking body on it, question though what kind of wheeling do you do there, are there many large rocks it looks like your keeping the stock axles I would suggest some "diff guards" if you will be wheeling in a rocky area very often. I know on my Samurai I hit a rock and poked a hole in the front diff pretty easily.

We go through lots of muddy and rocky trails.  River crossings are regular also. Thanks a lot for the "diff guards" suggestion.  I will now include it as part of the modification jobs to be done.   :)

Offline serv

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 11:56:50 PM »
I think it looks good.  :)

Installation of power steering and 2" lift.

Offline serv

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2010, 12:19:35 AM »
looking good so far. im a newbie too and trying to figure things out, wish I could find someone cheap near me to do that conversion for me.

I had no choice but to get the help of a conversion expert to do the job for me.  I do have some mechanical knowhow but I lack the expertise to do the conversions plus I dont have the time for it.  My old man always say if you can find someone who can do a better job than you can, hire him...  :laugh:

Offline doughboy0379

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 12:24:40 AM »
I wish we had good mud trails around here so far though I have not found to many good ones near me and only have found very small creek crossing that are doable they are kinda cool though
86 Samurai, SPOA, 3" HD leaf springs, 31/10.5/15 Big-O XT Tires, K&N Air Filter, Doug Thorey Header, more coming when I find the funds :)

Offline serv

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 12:38:52 AM »
I wish we had good mud trails around here so far though I have not found to many good ones near me and only have found very small creek crossing that are doable they are kinda cool though

I live in a tropical country with lots of rain from June to November.  Heavy downpour makes coutryside roads muddy and that is when we do most of our fun trails. Two feet deep mud is normal with a lot of heavy winchings.  I witnessed some river crossings done by new zuik owners here and it looks scary especially if there is water current. The zuks float in water  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
The veteran zuk owners approach river crossings with caution.  If water is two feet deep or more, they load their zuks with sacks full of sand just to add weight. It is a cool sight and I am learning a lot from them... Once all necessary modifications are done with my zuk, I will definitely try those river crossings.  :)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 04:04:05 AM by serv »

Offline serv

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2010, 12:41:16 AM »
ongoing bumper installation... The original front/rear bumpers and side rockers were all removed.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2010, 08:27:20 AM »
If it's not required I would be tempted to run with just the winch plate.  :D

What size winch are you putting on?  You need to send us pictures from you water crossings.
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline serv

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2010, 11:41:24 PM »
If it's not required I would be tempted to run with just the winch plate.  :D

What size winch are you putting on?  You need to send us pictures from you water crossings.

I am tempted too but the old zuk boys here are urging me to get one. I am planning to put on a 3.5 tonner winch from Japan. I will definitely post pictures of water crossings.  It is almost rainy season here and the zuk conversions are due completion before that.  I hope I can get some really good pictures of the zuk crossing rivers or swimming in it.    :laugh: 

Offline doughboy0379

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2010, 11:34:55 AM »
 :laugh:  yeah I want to see those river crossings too they are always cool shots I live in Utah about 5-6 hours north of Moab and it is mostly rock here until winter then we get a good amount of snow to play in it is fun but I like the mud too till it comes time to wash it off anyway LOL

Offline serv

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2010, 02:03:43 AM »
:laugh:  yeah I want to see those river crossings too they are always cool shots I live in Utah about 5-6 hours north of Moab and it is mostly rock here until winter then we get a good amount of snow to play in it is fun but I like the mud too till it comes time to wash it off anyway LOL

When it comes to offroading, the one thing nice about a tropical country is you get plenty of river crossings, rocky and mud trails in just one outing, kind of "three in one".  This is true specially after a heavy downpour.   I know a place that is only about 1 and a half hour from the capital city where offroaders can get three kinds of trails in just one outing. The toughest I experienced in said area is the uphill and downhill 1 and 1/2 feet deep mud trail. Very tricky and slippery with a lot of heavy winchings.  I will post some pics here in a few weeks or at the onset of rainy season.

The suk is almost done and I will post more pics later.  :)

Offline serv

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2010, 12:31:11 AM »
The zuk is almost done.  I will post here the pics in a few days, unless someone tells me this isn't the right thread to post pics of modified suzuki. :)

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2010, 10:01:18 PM »
Post them wherever you want.  :)
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing