Hello Guest

87 Sami project

• 110 Replies

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
Re: 87 Sami project
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2010, 06:41:18 AM »
Looking good! It's going to be pretty tall. :) What springs are those?

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline jow003

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2010, 06:54:15 AM »
Old man emu.  i have been told they might be a bit light but i already have em so we'll see.  im tryin to decide if i wanna go with chromoly axles or just go ahead and jump to yota ones since ill proly end up doin that anyhow
if a bigger hammer, bigger tires or more gas doesn't help... your doing it wrong.

BUY MY STUFF!! pm for details

87 Samurai...
5" SPOA/OTT -RRO
1.5" leaf springs-OME
RUF conversion-Trail Tough
1" shackles
33x1250x15 MTZs
15x8- DC-2s

Offline blknight87

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2010, 09:04:48 AM »
haha passed up on the band aid huh, lol... I was a big enough boy to wear it! haha.... Aubrey seemed very sweet, you should get her out there more to wrench with you, thank her again for the band aid.... stupid RRO parts, now I can say, my sweat and "blood" is into your samurai  ;) any ways, sorry I didn't leave any tools, sawzall, grinder, etc... tools are tools, and I wasn't sure when I was going to be back up there, and again, sorry the day went so fast, didn't seem like we got much done, not having the right cut on the perches, and lack of hardware kinda screwed us up on time, back and forth to the parts store slowed things down but hey, it was still cool and fun.... glad to hear you got those brake lines apart... that front was a bugger and when I say bugger.... I mean a mother F*&|removethispart|@#R!!!!!!!!  any ways, keep us updated, I'm working nights this week, so I will jump on when I can during the day and check up on things..

Laterz................................................   BLKNIGHT87
87 sammy-JX
U4WDA/IBZK
1.6 8V w/ MY-SIDE2-44mm SE carb
Thorley Header
Rebuilt trans, and t-case w/6.5-1's
SPOA 6"s w/ Rancho springs
275-85-15's buckshot mudders
Rino Line

RIP "BLKNIGHT" FOR YOU ARE MISSED

Offline jow003

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2010, 01:25:03 PM »
na you helped me a ton!  Aubrey wasnt far off when she said you saved me a month or so.  as for the tools no worry, i know how that goes.  tools, more than just about anything else grow feet and walk off, i need to build my tool library anyhow.  i tried gettin her out there yesterday but she was busy doin somethin,  those rear brake lines were cake other than havin to work around the gas tank which wasnt hard.
if a bigger hammer, bigger tires or more gas doesn't help... your doing it wrong.

87 Samurai...
5" SPOA/OTT -RRO
1.5" leaf springs-OME
1" shackles
33x1250x15 MTZs
15x8- DC-2s

Offline jow003

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2010, 08:04:00 AM »
so i got all the stuff and gonna get after it today, my goal is to be drivin by sunday so we'll see, worried the spring perches are gonna need grinding but im hopin for the best

87 Samurai...
5" SPOA/OTT -RRO
1.5" leaf springs-OME
1" shackles
33x1250x15 MTZs
15x8- DC-2s

Offline jow003

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2010, 06:10:43 AM »
got the rear springs/shackles and half of the axle remounted, aswell as adding my front shaft spacer.  I do have a question tho, when i was tightening my Ubolts one of the 4 is bent to where i cant cinch it down, i got it just over finger tight but the angle that its at i cant get my socket or anything else on it.  the others are all quite tight and all 4 have lock tight on them, how sketchy is that?

87 Samurai...
5" SPOA/OTT -RRO
1.5" leaf springs-OME
1" shackles
33x1250x15 MTZs
15x8- DC-2s

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2010, 11:01:26 AM »
got the rear springs/shackles and half of the axle remounted, aswell as adding my front shaft spacer.  I do have a question tho, when i was tightening my Ubolts one of the 4 is bent to where i cant cinch it down, i got it just over finger tight but the angle that its at i cant get my socket or anything else on it.  the others are all quite tight and all 4 have lock tight on them, how sketchy is that?

Sketchy.... buy new ubolts all the way around. It's a small bit of insurance. Have you ever seen a rig where the axle fell off? It's not pretty...

Plus having it loose may break the spring.

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline jow003

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2010, 12:30:45 PM »
they are all new and the other side of the u-bolt is cinched really tight but i cant get a grip on that one bolt.  i havent seen an axle come off, but with how tight the others are unless im doin something i have no buisiness doin.  is that still not worth the risk?

87 Samurai...
5" SPOA/OTT -RRO
1.5" leaf springs-OME
1" shackles
33x1250x15 MTZs
15x8- DC-2s

Offline jow003

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2010, 05:37:13 AM »
the other side of the axle went on just like it was supposed to with only 1 bloody knuckle (deep well slippin off).  think im gonna take it out around the block once its runnin, come back and see if its moved so i can tighten that ubolt. 
ALL THATS LEFT TO INSTALL:
-Rear Shocks
-Drop Pitman Arm
-One brake line+fluid  (btw if you have an extra bolt that connects the front line to the caliper please lemme know)-refer to pic
-Mount the rear tires
-re check for tight bolts/nuts

am i forgetting anything?

last but not least, a celebratory beer/jager shot

87 Samurai...
5" SPOA/OTT -RRO
1.5" leaf springs-OME
1" shackles
33x1250x15 MTZs
15x8- DC-2s

Offline jow003

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2010, 06:37:24 AM »
So after taking the "Knights" advise, i got my girlfriend at the end of my breaker/cheater while i wailed on it with a hammer and eventually got the old pitman arm bolt etc off, (btw i could get the stock steering stabilizer mount to bend around the new one from LRO, any advice?)put the new one on and got everything connected.  went to Napa twice yesterday to get the banjo bolt i was lookin for, apparantly they dont normally carry the one that fits in the samurai...  bleed the brakes and rear shocks i think....... looks like im gettin done about 2 weeks shy of what it took you knight >:D were you just bein lazy or what haha

87 Samurai...
5" SPOA/OTT -RRO
1.5" leaf springs-OME
1" shackles
33x1250x15 MTZs
15x8- DC-2s

Offline jow003

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2010, 09:09:10 AM »
After gettin the brakes "done" and shocks put on it ran!!!  neither of which are done well and a small note, the u-bolt skid plates from calmini CANNOT go on the rear axle as i was hoping.  the shock mount on them sticks out to far to the rear and causes the shock to lean forward which makes the rubber grommets very difficult to go on the perches and also makes the shock hit the gas tank skid.  my rear passenger brake bleeder nipple stripped ont the outside so i couldnt bleed that one, didnt think it would be that big a deal but i was largely mistaken.  there is also something grinding inside one of the rear brakes and since i didnt don anything to those its questionable.  i think and fear that the angle of my driveshafts are too great which is also causing them to bump/grind but im not sure.  and as i just now walked back out there to snap a couple more pictures i realized both driverside brakes are leaking, |removethispart|@&$#%!*....  anyhow here are some of what im talking about.  Im not a big fan of RRO as most of yall know but they do make a good u-bolt skid/lower shock mount. 

87 Samurai...
5" SPOA/OTT -RRO
1.5" leaf springs-OME
1" shackles
33x1250x15 MTZs
15x8- DC-2s

Offline jow003

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2010, 09:15:15 AM »
these are the differences between the Calmini and RRO.  Calmini is first, notice how much the shock mount sticks out from the ubolts

87 Samurai...
5" SPOA/OTT -RRO
1.5" leaf springs-OME
1" shackles
33x1250x15 MTZs
15x8- DC-2s

Offline jow003

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2010, 09:21:23 AM »
and gettin to play a little

87 Samurai...
5" SPOA/OTT -RRO
1.5" leaf springs-OME
1" shackles
33x1250x15 MTZs
15x8- DC-2s

Offline blknight87

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2010, 09:59:02 AM »
right on! nice pics!! how does the ride handle from the lift? how is the steering? ever get that drop pitman arm on? i think it's cool that your girl goes with you! mine would never go... that's awesome!!! tell her hi, and when we go, (me and you) I don't think she will like it lol... but you can bring her to show me i'm wrong i guess lol... jurry up on gears and a winch!!!
87 sammy-JX
U4WDA/IBZK
1.6 8V w/ MY-SIDE2-44mm SE carb
Thorley Header
Rebuilt trans, and t-case w/6.5-1's
SPOA 6"s w/ Rancho springs
275-85-15's buckshot mudders
Rino Line

RIP "BLKNIGHT" FOR YOU ARE MISSED

Offline jow003

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2010, 04:47:32 PM »
haha she said she thinks you underestimate her.  it handles surprisingly well, in my opinion not having a steering stabilizer on.  got the pitman arm on-broke my first breaker bar and used a new one (thank God for warranties) with a cheater bar, and whacked the shite out of it with my big hammer, after soaking it in PB-blaster for a couple days i only had to hit it about 100 times before it moved lol.  gotta get my battery re-charged, got a fire extinguisher, worked on my radio today and i gotta find my title so i can get it licensed but it ran.  still need to work on brakes and other clunks thats there now and wasnt before but im excited.  i am pissed i think im gonna have to take the rear ubolt skids off and get RRO ones but such is life right?

87 Samurai...
5" SPOA/OTT -RRO
1.5" leaf springs-OME
1" shackles
33x1250x15 MTZs
15x8- DC-2s