Hello Guest

87 Sami project

• 110 Replies

Offline jow003

Re: 87 Sami project
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 10:19:02 AM »
ha...ha...ha... quit givin me shit for not takin pics of the stuff ON. haha its comin, road blocks im learnin are in every direction!  just got a big ass hammer tho so we'll see
if a bigger hammer, bigger tires or more gas doesn't help... your doing it wrong.

BUY MY STUFF!! pm for details

87 Samurai...
5" SPOA/OTT -RRO
1.5" leaf springs-OME
RUF conversion-Trail Tough
1" shackles
33x1250x15 MTZs
15x8- DC-2s

Offline jow003

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 09:30:53 PM »
so the hammer helped me FINALLY get my doors off so they are now removable!!  not exactly the immediate goal but its something
if a bigger hammer, bigger tires or more gas doesn't help... your doing it wrong.

87 Samurai...
5" SPOA/OTT -RRO
1.5" leaf springs-OME
1" shackles
33x1250x15 MTZs
15x8- DC-2s

Offline jow003

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 05:16:05 AM »
so, i still cant get the bolt out of the pitman arm, anyone have any suggestions?

87 Samurai...
5" SPOA/OTT -RRO
1.5" leaf springs-OME
1" shackles
33x1250x15 MTZs
15x8- DC-2s

Offline Amilla

• Toyota running gear was made for a samurai!
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2010, 01:10:52 PM »
What bolt are you talking about?

Pickle fork, Big hammer, gear puller, and heat if needed.

Amilla
88 Samurai, Sprung Up, Geared Down, Locked,With Yotas.

Offline jow003

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2010, 01:18:46 PM »
its on the first page in a pic, was connected to the tie rod link connecting to the pitman arm, i cut off the link thinking i could then get a better grip on it with vice grips but its not budgin.  tried hittin the end and sides of the pitman arm to get it loose but it didnt seem to do anything.  im not familiar with a gear puller but the only heat i have is a crappy soldering iron and my gf hairdryer

87 Samurai...
5" SPOA/OTT -RRO
1.5" leaf springs-OME
1" shackles
33x1250x15 MTZs
15x8- DC-2s

Offline tombstone

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 08:17:11 PM »
Cant believe you ORDERED a SPOA kit,I do those EASY with new ($3x4=$12) spring pads.Yea,those leaf bolts are a bitch.Havent had a issue with dropping the steering arm on the passenger side with a Pickle Fork,pops right off. 

Offline jow003

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2010, 05:21:01 AM »
those are good looking spring mounts.  my tools and space is pretty limited, see thats what i was told, triend the pickle fork but no luck, and now im realizin how much of a pickle im in.... whatever shut up my mom thinks im funny :laugh:

im thinkin this weekend may try welding a bolt to the end i cut and use a breaker bar

87 Samurai...
5" SPOA/OTT -RRO
1.5" leaf springs-OME
1" shackles
33x1250x15 MTZs
15x8- DC-2s

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2010, 06:55:03 AM »
Cant believe you ORDERED a SPOA kit,I do those EASY with new ($3x4=$12) spring pads.Yea,those leaf bolts are a bitch.Havent had a issue with dropping the steering arm on the passenger side with a Pickle Fork,pops right off. 

FWIW: Those spring perches are horrible for doing a SPOA and can easily result in ripped axle housing and bent tubes with any bit of hard wheeling. They just don't go far enough around the axle tube. On the steering, the easiest way to get tie rods and drag links off is to use a 5lb hammer and hit the arm right on the end of it straight inline with the arm. The shock will 'pop' out the tie rod end. This method only takes 4 or 5 hits max even with rust and is much easier then pickle forks, heat, etc...

Hope that helps..

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline jow003

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2010, 07:03:42 AM »
ya thanks, i have a 3lb hammer so ill either need to whack it harder or get a bigger hammer >:D

87 Samurai...
5" SPOA/OTT -RRO
1.5" leaf springs-OME
1" shackles
33x1250x15 MTZs
15x8- DC-2s

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2010, 07:45:02 AM »
ya thanks, i have a 3lb hammer so ill either need to whack it harder or get a bigger hammer >:D

Whatever you do, don't force it... get a bigger hammer!

:)

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline blknight87

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2010, 10:46:37 AM »
c'mon now Oliver.... I will be there on sunday.... I will bring the tools needed, grinder with wire wheel, discs, cut-off wheels, maybe the welder, might have to wire it differently again, but that's ok. hammers, sockets and wrenches. soo....   enjoy your time and let her sit for a couple more days. it's friday now, get ready to go camping and enjoy it, help will be there sunday and I will get the old tierod out, and everything else done in a timely manner..... and it wont be all ghetto either. I'm good at what I do... if there were other members still on here that aren't on much anymore, they could chime in and tell ya, I'm perty darn gud, im egimakated round atomobiles...  haha just kidden, but really, I..... we..... will get it done. I live by a saying, "can't get 'er, can't stay" and I always get er done the right way. have faith and go have a beer brotha  ;)
87 sammy-JX
U4WDA/IBZK
1.6 8V w/ MY-SIDE2-44mm SE carb
Thorley Header
Rebuilt trans, and t-case w/6.5-1's
SPOA 6"s w/ Rancho springs
275-85-15's buckshot mudders
Rino Line

RIP "BLKNIGHT" FOR YOU ARE MISSED

Offline jow003

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2010, 01:24:36 PM »
haha see thats the thing, i have seen your rig and trust your good at what you do, i wanna get as much of the small crap done so you can help with the bigger probs like rust and others. btw if you have a couple jack stands, might not hurt.  i have 4 and a floor jack so if you think we might need couple more/have em... other than that all that sounds good, welder might come in handy

87 Samurai...
5" SPOA/OTT -RRO
1.5" leaf springs-OME
1" shackles
33x1250x15 MTZs
15x8- DC-2s

Offline jow003

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2010, 06:34:46 AM »
Soooo...  With a shite ton of help sunday from blknight87, got the front end done with the exception of connecting the passenger brake.  it looks awesome!!! im attachin pics of whats done thus far, sorry its not any better of a step by step, i get tunnel vision when im workin and forget to snap a couple shots.  Other than using RRO parts it went smoothly.  speaking of which, they are terrible when it comes to customer service! you can ask em tech Qs and theyll answer pretty well but their CS is close to the worst i have encountered.  When i got my 5" SPOA i counted 7 U-bolts that were the correct looking size and 1 that was bigger, i called and said asked in a normally polite way (im a sounthern boy and try to be respectful) they acted like i was an idot, brushed me off sayin its all correct, and to be used on passenger side front axle and everything is double checked before it leaves.  sunday when Matt was helpin me we realized that it was the wrong size so monday i called to inform them and get the correct size, they said they'd send it out and bc im in the 2-day bracket id get it wed.  since im waiting on that part to finish my build i said since it was their fault they should next day it.  in a really snippy attidue they said they arent a "shipping charity" and they dont "charge enough for that kind of customer service."  he said they might be able to pay half of the next day price and i could pay the other half. 
As soon as i hung up with them i called Low Range, ordered the other parts that i needed (drop pitman arm, shackles for the rear and U-bolt skid plates) they were VERY helpful even tho it was a crazy day, i had to call i think 5 times bc the phones were busy. 
as for working monday, i changed rear brake lines and worked on gettin the stock springs off, btw hack saws still suck compared to sawzalls, got almost done with only 1/2 a bolt to cut left when my last blade smoothed out.  so i moved to takin off the stock shackles, my socket got stuck on the bolt and when i was yankin on it to get it off i succeeded in gettin it and nailin my thumb on the bumper.  The bumper is fine, dont worry, but my thuimb nail is now black (and matt, Aubrey offered me a sesame street band aid, i didnt want to be gay and match so i turned it down :P ).  ill post tomorrow with what gets accomplished tonight

87 Samurai...
5" SPOA/OTT -RRO
1.5" leaf springs-OME
1" shackles
33x1250x15 MTZs
15x8- DC-2s

Offline jow003

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2010, 06:37:17 AM »
and more pics

87 Samurai...
5" SPOA/OTT -RRO
1.5" leaf springs-OME
1" shackles
33x1250x15 MTZs
15x8- DC-2s

Offline jow003

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2010, 06:40:31 AM »
sorry about not turnin those pics, these are.

87 Samurai...
5" SPOA/OTT -RRO
1.5" leaf springs-OME
1" shackles
33x1250x15 MTZs
15x8- DC-2s