Hello Guest

Jerry can fill-up How-To

• 9 Replies

Offline muskegtracker

• Mr T
Jerry can fill-up How-To
« on: May 03, 2010, 10:06:52 AM »
So the other day I was testing to see how far I could go on a tank of gas.  For those of you who haven't seen my build thread (http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/build-diaries-how-to-diy/mr-t-the-build/) I put a V6 and all the electronics, including the dash, into my Tracker.  Before I got stranded anywhere I wanted to push the limit and find out just how far I could go on a tank of gas and what the gauge read when I got there.  The inevitable occurred, and so I chugged to the side of the road.
The gas can I had with me had a large (diameter) spout that I knew was going to be a problem when filling the Tracker, which is now dead on the side of the road 20 miles from the closest gas station.  I guessed I would figure out how to get around that when the time came...

So I tried to quickly push the fat spout into the filler neck to get a good seal, but this happened...all over.

So I thought, maybe I could push harder, faster and get something to go in...nope.  Same result.

Well, now I'm getting a little concerned.  (I was on my way to work...)  I glanced around to find some wire or something to hold the flap in the filler open.  All I could find was grass,  not really interested in shoving grass into my gas tank.  Then a shiny flash caught my eye - a beer can.  (Plenty of those on the highways - sad isn't it?)  So I cut the top and bottom off of the can with my pocket knife-

Then split the can long ways and rolled it into a funnel/flap holder openner.  Inserted it into the filler and TAH DAH!

I then proceeded with a spill free fill which easily got me to the next gas station.

91 Chevy Tracker
2.7L V6, Coil-over Suspension, ARB, and other goodies...
My build - http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=25353.0

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
Re: Jerry can fill-up How-To
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 10:13:02 AM »
Very nice....

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline TheZuke

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 03:51:03 PM »
Good idea.  With the can that is, not the V-6.  Why would you ever crave more power enough to upgrade to a V-6?  I mean, isn't 1.6L enough.  ;) 

Actually I've read Mr. T's build and I even filmed that short video.  In fact, I've driven that thing and the V-6 is dang sweet.  :)

So, congrats on finding out your fuel range and not having to call AMA.  What did the gauge read when it ran out? 

- Yo Lil' Bro
1990 Sidekick "The Zuke"  3/4" coil spacers, 33" tires and fender trimmin' to make em fit.  Not to mention all of the other trimmin'
1991 Sidekick "Rudy" Stock

Offline heiney.5

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 06:50:02 AM »
I like the "macgyver" type solution....way to utilize what you have.

I always liked a low fuel light, I wish my tracker had one, but atm I guess I just need to get the gauge working in general.....So does this V6 drink alot more gas?
Difficult takes a day. Impossible takes a week.

Offline muskegtracker

• Mr T
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 09:43:43 AM »
I like the "macgyver" type solution....way to utilize what you have.

I always liked a low fuel light, I wish my tracker had one, but atm I guess I just need to get the gauge working in general.....So does this V6 drink alot more gas?

Thanks. 

Actually it is pretty good!  With the old 4 cyl I never got much better than 300 km (180 mi) per tank (quite a bit worse with the turbo) and now I get a little better. ???  Probably around 25 mpg.  Not bad considering I'm running lower axle gears (5:12 instead of 4:30) and I don't have ridiculously large tires...yet.
91 Chevy Tracker

Online fordem

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 10:28:55 AM »
You might find this surprising - but a sheet of paper will do a pretty good job as an emergency gas funnel - roll it lengthways with a taper and stick the narrow end into the filler neck, the neck will hold it rolled whilst you pour.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline muskegtracker

• Mr T
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 12:02:48 PM »
You might find this surprising - but a sheet of paper will do a pretty good job as an emergency gas funnel - roll it lengthways with a taper and stick the narrow end into the filler neck, the neck will hold it rolled whilst you pour.

Excellent!  Thanks for the tip.
91 Chevy Tracker

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 01:26:52 PM »
Does that count as an open container?  :D
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 11:58:38 AM »
In an emergency you can even use cardboard for a funnel.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 03:39:28 PM »
I must have got lucky, my jerry can has a screw on neck that fits the hole just right. Still drips all over though. Props on using your noggin to get out of a jam!
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER