Hello Guest

project tracker 2 door sas build

• 47 Replies

Offline joe dirt

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
project tracker 2 door sas build
« on: April 19, 2010, 03:42:40 PM »
i know its lame to link to another board, and if its not allowed let me know and ill try to re-do the build on here,..curently im about 3/4 of the way through the build with lots of pics( seems lotsa detaild pics are left out of most sas builds )

heres the link to to my build

http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthread.php?t=32461
" you like them spinn'n tires "
87 sami with yota axles...529 gears...spool rear...lockrite front...3-link and volvo coils....rears up front shackle reversal...4:16:1 t-case gears...34/10.50 ltb's.....diy beadlocks....

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
Re: project tracker 2 door sas build
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 05:31:04 PM »
i know its lame to link to another board, and if its not allowed let me know and ill try to re-do the build on here,..curently im about 3/4 of the way through the build with lots of pics( seems lotsa detaild pics are left out of most sas builds )

heres the link to to my build

http://www.zukikrawlers.com/showthread.php?t=32461

Yeah, that's lame... :) Would you post some of the pics and descriptions here too? That's be cool...

Thanks, Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline joe dirt

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 09:25:28 PM »
well,..slowly getting started on the sas on my 94 tracker 5spd

plans are sami front spring over using rear springs with front leaves added,(thanks phloop and stafford)..picked up a set of 33x12.50 pro comp xterains of craigslist for $100
got these 15x10 black wheels off a cj5 for $60,..ive got 3 sets of rear coils to play with diff. heights
stock rubicon coils
stock tj coils
stock xj coils
also plan to make my own rear diff spacer using witfields design on his white track/kick
ill be using 2" wheel spacers in the front to match the factory rear end width (thanks bass man)
also got some 1" d-line spacers and poly bushings for the springs (thanks stafford)
last night i was able to weld the perches on,..now hopefully tonight i can make some shackles,..prolly gunna meake 2 sets, 5" and a set of 3"...that should give me a few options to try and match front height with rear height, as im not sure yet what the jeep coils will give me for height...anyways here are a few pics of what im working with...this will prolly be a slow build as im still driving this thing to work everyday to save on diesel costs, untill im ready to burn the factory stuff off the tracker
87 sami with yota axles...529 gears...spool rear...lockrite front...3-link and volvo coils....rears up front shackle reversal...4:16:1 t-case gears...34/10.50 ltb's.....diy beadlocks....

Offline joe dirt

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 09:27:12 PM »
more pics

Offline joe dirt

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 09:29:24 PM »
also forgot to add that the sami front came from a stocker that had less than 60k on the ticker,..so im pretty sure the 4wd hasnt been used much,..only cost me 1/2 gallon of r&r.....i plan to run the stock inners for a bit while i save up for harden axles
my tracker has 5.12's so ill be using the front third in the sami axle

also picked up a custom made hard top for free from suva

here are the spacers from bass man and stafford

Offline joe dirt

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 09:31:36 PM »
spent about an hour tonight making cuts and a few welds...i caught the guys at work tossing these brackets in the dumpster,..they are what bobcat attachments are shipped with bolted to heavy duty pallets during shipping,..i tossed a bunch in a box and took them home,..i knew id be able to use them up somewhere,...also noticed 2 chunks of receiver stock getting tossed,...of course i grabbed that as well,..about 30" each

so i used my bandsaw to make them work for rear spring hangers

Offline joe dirt

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 09:33:21 PM »
sorry for the bad pics, they are taken from my cell phone in a poorly lit garage...

got them welded up and they look good for free...i plan to ramp the back end once they are welded on the frame,...ill also be making a set of shackles out of this free steel

so this is my idea for my front shackle hangers,..ill be using one of the tubes of receiver stock for the stock sami hangers (these were sawed off of phloops sami when he did his yj swap at zee's)
of course ill be extending the frame with 2x4 tubing but you get the jist of it,..im goung to wait till i get the axle under the tracker before i weld the front hangers in place

few more pics...

Offline joe dirt

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 09:34:38 PM »
got the two bottom leafs from a stock front set (thanks stafford)

i just pulled the overload off and put the two bottom leafs from the front right there...didnt bother with pulling any more of the stock rear leafs...figured it help the pack last longer

hears the bastard pack made with rears and fronts

Offline joe dirt

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 09:37:09 PM »
got a little done this morning,..had to clean up the garage to get the tracker in here and able to work around it

i was praying that i didnt have to break out the torch,...but the back a-arm bolts just wouldnt budge, and i was loosing patience, so i said screw it, and broke out the torch!!!!

still need to pull the front bumper, pull the struts, clean up the frame rails etc...but im taking a break for a few hours....

Offline joe dirt

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 09:40:15 PM »
took the 33's off the axle and put the stockers on so i could roll it under the tracker for a visual...

this thing is gunna be TALL!!...although im sure the springs will flatten out alot once the weight is on them...i still need to torch all the extra crap off the frame,..but this is how it looks now..ill prolly weld up all the mounts and get the axle fully squared up and bolted in before i do the weight removal off the frame,..then just bolt it back in when done...

Offline joe dirt

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 09:42:47 PM »
:updade:
had the mounts made and tacked into place,..yesterday i got home and was going to weld it all in, but noticed i was off about 3/16ths on 2 mounts...so now im backwards in progress...had to grind the tacks off and re-do it all....

i wont be taking pictures of my screw up!!!

ok,..re did the mounts and tacked them in place...also mounted the 33's without the spacers...im pretty happy with the stance...give me room for 35's in the future with a sami case and 2wd tranny....

hows the shackle angle look?..

also had some help mounting the tires from the fianc'es youngest

Offline joe dirt

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 09:46:05 PM »
been slow on the tracker for a few days,..had softball games to attend and had to work outta town...

i got a little done tough,...got the welds all done on the mounts,..ramped the rear mounts,...i still need to plate in a few spots,...but im tired....this solid axle swap seemed alot easier over beers and conversation.....

heres a few pics of where im at

the rear ramps look like hell that size,...but remember, ....im still using free scraps from work...the steel from work was only 2" wide...so it had to do

Offline joe dirt

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 09:47:49 PM »
jesus h......the front strut/coil mounts were a bitch to get off!!!...i started torching one off and ran out of oxy about 2" into the cut...so i dug out my sawzall and couldnt find the dame blades for it...argh!!!...i was forced to use the bent out of shape worn out blade that i still had in the sawzall...halfway through the first mount i hit the motor mount behind it and jammed my wrist from the buck of the saw...at this point i broke out the grinder and cutting wheel and went to town on them,...it was about 11:00pm when the neighbors started complaining about the noise...had to call it a night

finished getting them cutt of this morning
decided to throw the spacers on the front and put the wheels on,..got anxious and pulled the stock coils outta the rear and threw in the stock rubicon coils in the rear....looks like im about 4 1/2" low in the rear...so looks like im going to cut the mounts off the frame and drop them to the bottom of the frame to get it level

Offline joe dirt

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 09:49:16 PM »
jesus h......the front strut/coil mounts were a bitch to get off!!!...i started torching one off and ran out of oxy about 2" into the cut...so i dug out my sawzall and couldnt find the dame blades for it...argh!!!...i was forced to use the bent out of shape worn out blade that i still had in the sawzall...halfway through the first mount i hit the motor mount behind it and jammed my wrist from the buck of the saw...at this point i broke out the grinder and cutting wheel and went to town on them,...it was about 11:00pm when the neighbors started complaining about the noise...had to call it a night

finished getting them cutt of this morning
decided to throw the spacers on the front and put the wheels on,..got anxious and pulled the stock coils outta the rear and threw in the stock rubicon coils in the rear....looks like im about 4 1/2" low in the rear...so looks like im going to cut the mounts off the frame and drop them to the bottom of the frame to get it level

Offline joe dirt

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 09:50:03 PM »
 ok,...decisions decisions....i can either do as i was thinking,dropping the coil mounts on the rear,....or keep the front spring under...that will drop the front 4" and level it out nicely,...but in order to run the 33's ive got,..im going to have to run a 3" body lift...i was originally against doing a body lift,...ive just never liked them,..but in this case it would be ideal to clear the 33's

id like to get some feed back on this as im kinda at a stall on this build,..i dont wanna cut the mounts off yet...

im trying to keep this build cheap as i can get...

re-doing mounts...$free minus wire,02,extra fab time...
diy body lift....8grade bolts 3"square tubing....close to the free price

kinda up in the air still....