Hello Guest

rear drive disconnect

• 12 Replies

rear drive disconnect
« on: April 08, 2010, 08:59:04 PM »
has anybody done or seen a rear drive disconnect for sidekick t case, like trail tough unit for samurai. been working out how i may do it but if someone slready has i would like to see their approach.

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
Re: rear drive disconnect
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 12:36:15 PM »
I was wondering the same thing.  Does anyone know if the Trail Tough disconnect will also work with their Sidekick/Tracker SYE?
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.  Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
90 Tracker LSi 2dr tintop 5spd: slow toy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08 Pontiac G8 GT: fast toy
90 Tracker LSi 2dr 5spd: SOLD.......95 Tracker 2dr 5spd: parts..........90 Sidekick JX 5spd: HI, my name's DJ and I have an addiction.........93 Tracker 2dr 2wd 5spd: PS donor/poss. 4x4 swap from 95 parts

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 02:25:46 PM »
a buddy of mine took me for a ride in his rock buggy with 4 wheel steer and front dig capability. freakin awesome. i saw that a company called remco i beleive makes disconnects for towing use. its built into the driveline, would work but the shifting mechanism is not very tough looking. also is TT's disconnect ok for daily driving?

Offline cj

• I drive a really big ATV
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 04:11:39 PM »
As long as you are up for some fabrication it should be possible. I combined the rear disconnnect with the Spidertrax t-case diisc handbrake on my SJ. You will need to work out how to mount the bracket to the t-case so there will be some cutting and welding involved.

If you are planning on going larger (I think you have mentioned 33's) then why not swap in a Sammi t-case to sort out your gearing and fit the disconnect to that. As you have a lwb the rear tailshaft angle won't be much of an issue.

Another way to do front digs is if you converted to a fulltime 4wd transfer with a manual centre diff lock from some other vehicle (Rover LT230, Lada Niva etc.) and either had a really good handbrake or fit line locks to the rear. Just leave the centre diff unlocked and lock the rear brakes.

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 08:20:22 PM »
I bought a 2wd trackick awhile back that had a disconnect on the driveshaft.  It is a cable operated disconnect.  Other than that, I haven't looked into it much.  It appears like it is welded to the driveshaft....but like I said, I haven't looked at it real close to see how it is made.  It is a Remco disconnect, from the looks of it.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 09:05:10 PM »
been thinking about sammy t case, my only concern is the offset rear output withmy centered rearend. i want to build this thing once and enjoy it. i have had too many projects lately and tired of working on things. so i am putting alot of thought into it so it turns out how i want on the first try. i talked to trail tough today about their sammy disconnect to see if it would be adaptable so sidekick, they said no due to output splines being different.

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 09:27:22 PM »
skyhiranger, any pictures of that drineline?

Offline cj

• I drive a really big ATV
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 12:27:06 AM »
Another way to go is to adapt a Toy case as they do disconnect for that too. Still doesn't solve your gearing for 33's.

See what the guys with lwb Sammi's that run centered Toy axles with say about vibes as that will be pretty comparable to you running a Sammi case.

Offline Skyhiranger

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 07:02:08 AM »
i talked to trail tough today about their sammy disconnect to see if it would be adaptable so sidekick, they said no due to output splines being different.

If the trackick tcase output spline difference is the only thing that is restricting you from running the samurai disconnect, then that is easily changed.  I am guessing, from your username, that you have a 96 trackick.  If so, then the 96 and up trackick tcases have a different spline count on the output shaft than the 89-95 tcases.  You can bolt on an earlier tcase...they are identical, other than the output shaft spline count.

Offline Skyhiranger

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 07:04:13 AM »
skyhiranger, any pictures of that drineline?

Not very good pics, but it's the best I've got.

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 08:16:11 AM »
thanks for the pics. so the spline on the earlier cases is the same as sammys? i have a toy case and that is an option. using a disconnect like the pic you gave seems like the easiest way to go i would prob build a better setup for the shift fork, i would be afraid of damaging it. by the way i will have pics soon of my long travel struts soon, had some delays with my machinist.

Offline Skyhiranger

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 09:13:37 AM »
thanks for the pics. so the spline on the earlier cases is the same as sammys? i have a toy case and that is an option. using a disconnect like the pic you gave seems like the easiest way to go i would prob build a better setup for the shift fork, i would be afraid of damaging it. by the way i will have pics soon of my long travel struts soon, had some delays with my machinist.

All samurai tcases have 26 spline input and output shafts.  All samurai tcases have flanges on the input and output shafts.
89-95 trackick tcases have 26 spline output shafts.
The rear output on 96 and newer trackick tcases are 16 spline.
All trackick tcases have slip yoke type output shafts.

I haven't looked real close at the disconnect on the driveshaft on my pics, but I am guessing the driveshaft was cut and the disconnect pieces were welded onto the driveshaft pieces.  Which is different than the samurai disconnects I believe.  I think they just bolt inbetween the tcase and driveshaft flanges.
I would guess the reason for the disconnect at the diff end of the driveshaft is because trackicks have slip yokes on the tcase/tranny ends of the driveshaft.  If you were to convert the trackick rear driveshaft from a slip yoke to a flange at the tcase end (and put a slip yoke in the middle of the driveshaft, like a samurai driveshaft....or maybe even use a samurai driveshaft), I don't know why you couldn't use a samurai disconnect at the tcase end of the driveshaft.  Or, I don't know why you couldn't use a samurai disconnect at the diff end of a stock trackick driveshaft, without having to convert it over to a flange type at the tcase end.  But, I don't know that much about the disconnects (samurai or trackick either one) and how the attach.
The best place to have a disconnect is at the tcase end of the driveshaft.  That way the disconnect won't get damaged by hitting it on stuff, like it could if it was mounted on the diff end of the driveshaft.

I found the pic below of a disconnect.  It looks like it is used on a slip yoke type tcase output shaft and a flange type driveshaft.  But I don't have any info on it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 09:15:18 AM by Skyhiranger »

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 10:27:15 PM »
that pic is of TTs sammy disconnect. they told me that they have not pursued building one for trackick is because there is not a place to bolt to on back of t case like there is on sammy case. sj 410s had a drum parking brake on back of case and so sammys have the 4 bolt holes there to attach to. i think i am going to install earlier case on my 96 and adapt TTs piece to it. this will take building my own bracket. also SYE will need to be done as you said.