Hello Guest

LONG TRAVEL STRUTS

• 17 Replies

LONG TRAVEL STRUTS
« on: March 14, 2010, 09:14:09 AM »
Anybody interested in longer stuts than ome. i am in the middle of building some long travel heany duty struts for my 96 4 door. i would like to offer these as well as aa 6 inch kit if there is demand for it. struts will be completely new design, externally adjustable for damping and rebuildable. my suspension should have around 12 inch of travel.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: LONG TRAVEL STRUTS
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 11:35:23 AM »
I didn't know you could just make your own struts, that is pretty cool.

What is the compressed length going to be like compared to stock?
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 12:07:13 PM »
to make  a longer travel strut it will have to longer, just as with shocks. i dont have the dimensions nailed down yet. the construction will be very similar to a king or swayaway ect. but will be very user friendly. sorry no details til patent goes through. they will be massive compared to regular struts and with the rest of the kit and mounts hoping to have suspension compress to stock level and have 6 inches of lift. massive droop. new cvs and shafts will be used. my fab background is in prerunners and other long travel builds.

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 06:18:57 AM »
Sounds like a great Idea, I'd certainly be interested. One question ( of many to come I'm sure) wouldn't this require replacing the control arm with one that is designed for the longer travel?
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 07:17:16 AM »
to make  a longer travel strut it will have to longer, just as with shocks. i dont have the dimensions nailed down yet. the construction will be very similar to a king or swayaway ect. but will be very user friendly. sorry no details til patent goes through. they will be massive compared to regular struts and with the rest of the kit and mounts hoping to have suspension compress to stock level and have 6 inches of lift. massive droop. new cvs and shafts will be used. my fab background is in prerunners and other long travel builds.

I am sure that there is going to be lots of interest.  Who isn't interested in the HOLY GRAIL  Any of the pieces would find many of us interested.  I assume that it will include a body lift, so there is more room to center the diff.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline cj

• I drive a really big ATV
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 03:14:44 PM »
  I assume that it will include a body lift, so there is more room to center the diff.

You need a bodylift and an engine lift to do that.

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 04:56:06 PM »
i hate bodylifts. none here. the front suspension will be completely bolt on and use factory front diff as well as have the room for toyta ifs front diff. front track will be widened by 6 inch overall. the struts are an internal bypass design that i have designed which means that there is basically a built in hydraulic bumpstop. this all sounds way expensive i imagine but price should be similar to the 4.5 extreme alter ego kit thats out there. it will fit sidekick sport models too.

Offline ToyYoda

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 08:36:47 PM »
4.5 extreme alter ego kit ? I build prerunners too & don't know of this kit. Can you give a web site or contact? Will you will be designing new glass fenders as well ?  Like to see how you deal with that problem too. Keep us posted.

Offline TopHeavy96

96' Tracker 4-door, 16v, auto, open front, limited slip rear, Jeff1997's 2" lift with diff spacer, 95' mustang shocks, Calmini axle truss, BFG 30x9.5 mud-terrains on 15x8 "D"-windows, trimmed and banged fenders and bumpers, radio shack CB, Tom Tom GPS, 100w KC lights
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1097549855954

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 08:59:53 PM »
buldged fenders are definately on my mind as i love the ones on my ranger, although they brake way too easily for trail use. thinking of vacuum formed plastic. beyond my means but have you seen the urethane ones from kartek. so awesome! on my kick i am going to use stock 16 inch wheels(sport model) and narrow tires so should stick out too far with the extra width of the kit. if any one has the compressed and extended lengths of ome struts it would be helpful.

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 09:24:17 PM »
i ment to sat should not stick out too far.

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 09:38:38 PM »
my fab skills are better than my typing. ha ha

Offline 95Gstman

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 02:02:44 PM »
Very interesting. I have been waiting for someone to build a long travel front end for the trackick platform for a long time. I nearly sold my kick to get a ifs yota and put a total chaos kit under it. Keep us updated.

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 06:20:37 PM »
i will keep you guys updated for sure. i am currently putting the struts together, after 8 months of design work. they will transform a kick. no universal off the shelf valving here. will post pictures as soon as i have em together. will have matching rear shocks too.

Offline 95Gstman

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 07:33:39 PM »
Hope to see some pics soon. This is very interesting to me because I have always wanted someone to make a prerunner type suspension for this platform. I even email total chaos at one point to see if they would make one. Keep us posted for sure, even if the project gets sidelined.