Hello Guest

what mods are needing to bolt in a 1.3 suzuki swift motor into a samuri

• 13 Replies

Offline dirtzero

Topic says it all. What all needs to be done? I am talking about the DOHC 1.3 from the swfit.

thank you,

Offline Freak

• !
    • Freakreation
It'll bolt right in... that's the easy part. then you'll have to either adapt a carb to the intake or splice the swift harness into the Sammy harness to set up the fuel injection. You'll want to run a exhaust manifold  from a FI Sammy or trackick or a header with the 02 sensor bung. you could also drill and tap your existing manifiold.

Then you'll need to address the cooling. I use a tracker rad with an electric fan as there isn't enough clearance for the clutch fan unless you notch the rad into the rad support. Also, you'll need to route the upper rad hose to the back of the engine as the twin cam is a front wheel drive engine. I ran a tube up through the intake.

Unless you run a  '90 or newer Sammy cluster you will get a trouble code for no speed sensor but it will run fine.

I'm probably missing something but if no one else can help feel free to ask me questions.

Offline dirtzero

thanks alot My zuk is built for pure mud so no street legal here. Do you know of a goo site to look for a used motor?

Offline blknight87

It'll bolt right in... that's the easy part. then you'll have to either adapt a carb to the intake or splice the swift harness into the Sammy harness to set up the fuel injection.

I'm probably missing something but if no one else can help feel free to ask me questions.

Here is my ? for you, what is needed or do they sale a conversion kit for the wiring? it would be worth the EFI I think, BTW... nice lookin install on yours.... back to the question... did you just splice into your own wiring? or where did you find the info??? I am looking at this install myself, well thought about it, but haven't found a lot of info on it... thanks..
87 sammy-JX
U4WDA/IBZK
1.6 8V w/ MY-SIDE2-44mm SE carb
Thorley Header
Rebuilt trans, and t-case w/6.5-1's
SPOA 6"s w/ Rancho springs
275-85-15's buckshot mudders
Rino Line

RIP "BLKNIGHT" FOR YOU ARE MISSED

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
There isn't much out there describing how to do the wiring yourself - at least less than what's available for a 1.6 FI swap.  You'll pretty much have to figure it out with the Samurai and Swift FSM wiring diagrams

One thing that has not been pointed out...

The DOHC 1.3 is a transverse-mounted engine.  As a result (and probably just to make the swap that much harder), the distributor is mounted axially instead of at a right angle to the driving camshaft.  As a result, you'll need to locate an elusive "right angle adapter" or clearance the firewall for the distrbutor.

I hope that this helps!
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

Offline dirtzero

a rite angle adaptor where can those be bought from? ya the whole wiring part confuses me also can anyone shed some light on the subject?

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
I thought I read somewhere that there is a short distributor cap
that can work to make the swap easier

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline Freak

• !
    • Freakreation
The cap I used is from  Mazda... I don't remember which one, I'll find out and let you know. As for the harness... no one I know makes one so you'll need the whole harness and ecm out of the swift then you want to splice the engine/ecm harness to the chassis/body/dashboard harness of the Samurai. I have the Swift Manual on PDF with schematics I can send you if you need. I also have access to Swift GT parts including wiring and ecm but it's best to get it out of one car plus I'm in BC Canada so I don't know how much I can help.

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
thanks alot My zuk is built for pure mud so no street legal here. Do you know of a goo site to look for a used motor?

Where are you located? I have three complete engine/harness/ecm combos but I'm in Oregon.

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline flexmonger

• live to wheel and wheel to die.
The DOHC 1.3 is a transverse-mounted engine.  As a result (and probably just to make the swap that much harder), the distributor is mounted axially instead of at a right angle to the driving camshaft.  As a result, you'll need to locate an elusive "right angle adapter" or clearance the firewall for the distrbutor.

I hope that this helps!

Yes the elusive right angle adapter, where can one find such a thing. Definitely not in the U.S. of A.
But try here young grasshopper.
http://dgtuning.kgbinternet.com/dgtuning/OpenProdukt.do
or http://www.suzuki4x4products.com/nieuwe_site/products/suzuki/samurai/engine/foto/ignitionadaptor.jpg
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 06:45:17 PM by flexmonger »

Offline Freak

• !
    • Freakreation
Re: what mods are needing to bolt in a 1.3 suzuki swift motor into a samuri
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 01:05:13 PM »
Well it took me for ever but I found out what distributor cap works without modification! Good thing too 'cause I'll have to replace mine soon enough. It's from a 1988-1989 Mazda 323 GTX Turbo AWD!

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 08:55:06 PM »
With all the mods that we do to these vehicles, you need to keep
a list of what parts are needed just to go to the auto parts store

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Bobthebiker

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 09:00:39 PM »
more like a library than list.   

Offline KJMac

Will the 1.6 16 valve header fit the DOHC 1.3?
Thanks,
Kj
1994 Kick, 16v,header.2.5" exhaust,ported MAF,home made mufflers, K&N filter,5" lift with jeep LJ front springs on the rear and Ford ranger springs on front with 2 3/4 spacers,OME struts with 3" strut spacers,31/10.5 Hankook Dynapro MT on 15x7 black D's.