Hello Guest

G16A VS G16KV

• 3 Replies

Offline Minmatar

• That lake is just too clean....right zuki? >=)
G16A VS G16KV
« on: August 20, 2009, 08:07:14 PM »
Ok so I just bought a 1993 Sidekick 4D 4x4 W/ G16KV 180k+.

The guy who had it had no idea what he was doing. I pulled 3 1/2 Quarts out just to get the oil level down to full. Replaced the plugs wires and roter/cap And she fired right up and idled nicely.

I thought the oil would all burn off but no. I leave it running over night in my closed off back yard to help it work out the oild that's in the combustion chamber and exhaust manifold.

2 weeks straight of this schedule its starting to smoke only on take off and on acceleration really bad from what my buddy tells me.

So now im looking for:

A) new motor

B) full rebuild

What is the Difference bettwen the G16A and the G16KV??? Will the G16A mount right up and run?
<)O.o(> NO!!!!! *as the sidekick rolls* My beer =(

Re: G16A VS G16KV
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 06:34:01 AM »
i dont know about the two engines mounting up the same without hassles but i do know i am rebuilding a 1.6 16v engine for my tracker because its getting a little tired and if it were me i would definetly go for the rebuild. u never know what ur getting when u buy used and when u buy new its so expensive, if your mechanically enclined and have the time i would rebuild it yourself and know what u got under the hood.

ps. pay the extra penny for a machine shop to do the head [new valve seals , recut and check for warpage it will save u alot down the road. just my opinion.

Offline Minmatar

• That lake is just too clean....right zuki? >=)
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 10:03:43 AM »
The one fault with my motor that i can tell ya right now. The #4 spark plug port's Jacket was a welded to the new sparkplug......from the previous owner.

its 225.00 for a full head rebuild. I hear that no one should really port and polish the ports. I keep hearing problem after problem when people do that.

I am a bit of a gear head but never have rebuilt a lower end. I'm pretty cluless on the step by step.

Do you know of any guides? Im sure it cant be that hard. But id be lost if i came into a snag....

Thanks for the opinion though
<)O.o(> NO!!!!! *as the sidekick rolls* My beer =(

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 08:06:17 AM »
i dont know of any guides to speak of but it will be something that when u tear down one time yourself and see whats in there u will be able to put it back together,the only thing half way difficult will be getting the motor back in time. as for the crank you can probably get all the specs from a machine shop and just mic the journals and see if it needs to be turned. other than that i dont see a problem with it. plus i will always trust my own work over someone elses word ya know.

good luck man and yeah i wouldnt port and poslish that head either its alot of work and the results are never 100% in the good