Hello Guest

Help: parking brake light on after installing suspension lift?

• 9 Replies

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
Heya I just got my tracker started after a long install on a lot of meticulous things, and installing a Calmini 3" suspension lift.  I never disconnected any parking brake cables, or anything related to the brake system, other than extending the rear brake line (but not parking brake).  Now, when I start the car, the parking brake light is on in the instrument cluster.  I didn't mess with any wiring around the instrument cluster, or near the parking brake lever, or in the brake system.  YES, the lever is all the way down, and the light refuses to shut off.  Before I contact Calmini about this, has anyone else had this problem, and if so what have you done to solve it?
Specs: 1990 Geo Tracker LSi 2dr tintop.  Calmini 3" suspension
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.  Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
90 Tracker LSi 2dr tintop 5spd: slow toy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08 Pontiac G8 GT: fast toy
90 Tracker LSi 2dr 5spd: SOLD.......95 Tracker 2dr 5spd: parts..........90 Sidekick JX 5spd: HI, my name's DJ and I have an addiction.........93 Tracker 2dr 2wd 5spd: PS donor/poss. 4x4 swap from 95 parts

Offline cmays03

Re: Help: parking brake light on after installing suspension lift?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 04:32:10 PM »
sounds like the cable might be to tight from the lift. something to look into.
95 geo tracker sas with dana 30,35 axles 3.55 gears, 33 tsl's, 3 and 4 link suspension. stock motor trans, tcase has 4.24:1 reduction kit.

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 05:03:03 PM »
I removed the brackets that hold the cables to the crossmember and they have plenty of slack, already checked that. 
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.  Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
90 Tracker LSi 2dr tintop 5spd: slow toy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08 Pontiac G8 GT: fast toy
90 Tracker LSi 2dr 5spd: SOLD.......95 Tracker 2dr 5spd: parts..........90 Sidekick JX 5spd: HI, my name's DJ and I have an addiction.........93 Tracker 2dr 2wd 5spd: PS donor/poss. 4x4 swap from 95 parts

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 06:34:31 PM »
Find the switch near your e-brake, and play with it - see if it's broken.
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Online fordem

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 07:24:16 PM »
I believe there are two causes for that light turning on - low brake fluid and the handbrake - you need to check the wiring to both - you're looking for the wire pinched or shorted to the chassis.

When I bought my GV the light came on with the ignition - the previous owner had been ignoring it.  I eventually traced it to the wire from the handbrake switch, pinched under the clamp that holds the #2 shifter boot to the transmission tunnel.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline ToyYoda

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 09:00:07 PM »
When you removed the rear brake line, fluid was lost. If you forgot to top off the res. that holds your brake fluid then you can expect the lamp to be on. The lamp is there to worn you of both low brake fluid level &/or park brake on.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 09:02:38 PM by ToyYoda »

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 01:01:16 AM »
I believe there are two causes for that light turning on - low brake fluid and the handbrake -
When you removed the rear brake line, fluid was lost. If you forgot to top off the res. that holds your brake fluid then you can expect the lamp to be on. The lamp is there to worn you of both low brake fluid level &/or park brake on.
Damn, that makes sense.  Cause I haven't filled the reservior and bled the rear brakes yet.  Wow that must be the problem then.  Thanks!
BTW bleeding brakes on the Tracker, I would only have to bleed the rear brakes, the front is unaffected?  Some cars you have to bleed all four corners. 
There's two "bleeder" valves I found, on the left rear drum backing plate, and the proportioning valve?  Do I bleed both those?

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 05:23:40 AM »
You shouldn't have to bleed at the proportioning valve unless you really lost a BUNCH of fluid. Just bleed the rear wheel cylinders and you should be good, although this would be a good time to change out your brake fluid if you've never done it. If you have a power bleeder this is fairly easy, if not maybe you can borrow one from your local auto zone or whatnot. It's simple, just keep drawing fluid thru the system, usually at the farthest point from the res, until only new clean comes out. If it's never been done that you know of, and the PO doesn't sound like the type who would, I'd do it now .
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 01:39:39 AM »
Good point.  I plan to get that done tomorrow, if the fluid looks "dirty," i'll opt for it.  But otherwise, the PO towed it behind his RV nearly its whole life...so I'm assuming its good.  And since the whole car has good maintenance...that's another plus. 

Online fordem

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 07:55:52 AM »
Do it whether or not the fluid "looks dirty" - brake fluid is hygroscopic - it absorbs moisture from the atmosphere which causes a couple of different problems, the first being a lowered boiling point, and trust me, the last thing you want is brake fluid boiling
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny