Hello Guest

Newbie Questions

• 24 Replies

Newbie Questions
« on: July 09, 2009, 03:01:15 PM »
I have never owned a Suzuki product so my knowledge is very limited---I am interested in purchasing a used Samarai but need some help in what to look for---Don't want tin roof--What models should I be looking for? What is main difference between Samarai and Sidekick? I live in high dessert area and mostly dirt roads, so doesn't have to be set up for fock climbing---So maybe someone can chime in and give me a 101 on the Samarai----Thanks

Happy

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: Newbie Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 04:53:34 PM »
If your not looking to do a lot of climbing you might want to go with a Sidekick instead.  More power, softer ride.  I think they make a better adventure style rig then the SJ series with a few modifications.  You can do a search for "Tracker VS Samurai" in the search field and get some great discussions on the topic.

How modified do you plan on making your vehicle once you get it?
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 06:51:52 PM »
Samurai is basic of basic - solid axle, leaf springs, carborated etc. The tracker is far more modern, has a larger engine, more room, coil suspension, IFS, Fuel Injection, far more likely to have A/C, etc. I love the look of my Samurai, but functionally I'm almost always happier with my trackers. In fact - I don't think I've driven my Samurai in almost a year.
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 12:10:50 AM »
I'm not getting one for a build. But most I've seen for sale have some aftermarket stuff---Lift kits, bigger tires, custom seats stc. Do either the Samarai or the Sidekick come with auto trans?-----The Samarai looks like a little jeep---But the Sidekick looks like?????????.
But in either one, what should I look for and watch out for>---Thanks

Happy

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 10:13:32 AM »
Trackers have automatics, I have never seen a Sammy with a stock auto but I hear they are out there.

In either case, you really want to look for abuse.  With a lifted rig you will want to double check the quality of work and if they used a kit or built it themselves.  Enough power and a smooth enough ride are going to be the biggest thing with a Sammy.

With the Tracker, they grow on you once you have one.  :)  Check underneath to see how beat up the cross members are, that is usually a good sign on if the vehicle has been abused.  Then check for the usual rust if you have any in your area.  If you get a manual transmission make sure it shifts smoothly, some of the older ones the shifter will start to get notchy.  The engines are usually good up to around 180,000 or so before they start to tire out.  With anything though, mileage may vary.
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 11:24:08 AM »
But in either one, what should I look for and watch out for>---Thanks

Suzuki is of the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) school of engineering - which is what makes them cheap, and beloved by off roaders (less things to break). The only "special" to look out for is fairly typical of Japanese vehicles - the major tuneups (timing belt, water pump, valve adjustment etc) are due every 60,000 miles. I've found a lot of people are selling their vehicle around the 120k mile interval to avoid the maintainience costs. I do the same inspection I do with all used vehicles:
* Does the owner keep detailed maintainience records?
* Does the vehicle look like it was well cleaned?
* Are all the "little things" working. I push EVERY button, flip EVERY switch, work EVERY window & door before buying.
* Does the engine bay look clean, or like it's not seen love in a long... long time (now's a good time to inspect the date on the battery).
* Are there any obvious fluid leaks ANYWHERE.
* Does the background check show it's ever lived in notoriously rusty areas?
* What's the engine compression (if you can't do this test yourself, it's well worth the $$$ to have a shop check for you).
* If you live in a rust belt - check for rust.
* How to the tires look, and when's the registration due (this could tack hundreds of dollars quickly if the tires need to be replaced, and registration is due).
* If you live in a SMOG state, are the aftermarket components SMOG legal?

If you're unable to perform any of the above inspections, pay to have it done. Keep in mind - Samurais are so old now (20+ years), SOMETHING is going to need to be replaced. Trackers / Sidekicks are much newer, and may still be okay. Take a GOOD look inside the Samurai, and ask yourself - is this going to be enough room? One of the reasons I don't take my Sami out anymore is because I can't fit 2 people's worth of gear & food in the back on 3 day camping trips  :'( But, I pack heavier than most people - YMMV.
'08 Yamaha FZ6

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 04:34:09 PM »
Thanks again for all input---

Jeremiah---Your sig says 4dr., that's more like a SUV or station wagon---I'm looking for small, like Samarai or 2dr covertible Kick--I live in high dessert area and in a heart beat it would have dessert pinstriping on it.

I really like the idea of auto trans---Even my quad is auto, (KFX 700 V Force)---So for me it's the lazy man's way from now on--Can you put coil springs/auto trans in Sammy? They just look so much better than the Kick---Although I did find this pic and it makes the scruffy little thing look pretty good---(But does it have enough power to move those big wheels ???)

http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=384

Happy

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 06:18:46 PM »
Jeremiah---Your sig says 4dr., that's more like a SUV or station wagon---I'm looking for small, like Samarai or 2dr covertible Kick--I live in high dessert area and in a heart beat it would have dessert pinstriping on it.

I own two 4-doors (one 4-speed auto, and 5 speed stick), a SJ410 with Samurai running gear, and a 2-door convertible. The 2 door is peppy for being a 4x4, but it's got poo for room (Samurai is worse) - barely enough for good sized grocery runs. I drive the 4-door 90%+ of the time. When I went on a dune run, it was in the 4-door, and I beat ALL the Samurai's in top speed (I believe this was due to the OME coil suspension, and extra length = stability), but they could hill-climb easier (they're probably 500-1000 lbs lighter). I've not been to the sand in the 2-door kick yet, but it's on my agenda - I'm sure it will be fun.

I really like the idea of auto trans

So do I - it's unbeatable in the rocks.
Can you put coil springs/auto trans in Sammy?

Yes, but unless you have a welder & metal fab experience, it's going to be difficult to do both. The coil suspension more so than the engine / trans combo. If you buy a 2-door convertable kick, you can get it with an auto & coil springs already... and it's FAR more likely to have A/C than a Sami.

They just look so much better than the Kick

I hated the looks of mine at first - the Samurai just has that "jeep" look that exudes testosterone. The 2-door kick does seem like more of a college girl car.... but the looks of the kick have grown on me. Espeicially since I put penis extension on it (bull bumper, winch & expedition style roof rack)

^^^ bad boy has a TUN of $$$ into it. I'm sure he's got the gearing figured out ($$$), and has enough power to spin them tires. Like most vehicles, you can do turbos, or engine swaps to gain whatever power necessary to make big tires spin - it's all a matter of how much $$$ you have. If you get a 2-door kick with auto trans, it's quite easy to get 31" tires to play nice on it... likely for around $1,500 for everything (tires, lift, diff gears).

It all depends on what you want to do. If it were me, and I were setting up a sand runner, I'd go with 29" A/T tires (which worked well in the sand I play in up in Oregon), a spool in the rear, strut tower brace and spend the extra $$$ for the OME suspension ($700) - it's worth EVERY penny with the suspension punishment dunes / desert dishes out. If you need more power, toss in 2" exhaust with header,  high-flow muffler & catcon. Unless you drive a 1.6L and think "there's no way an exhaust will unlock enough power... I need more!". In wich case, look towards the more expensive engine swap (2.0L gives 30% gain before high-flow exhaust, and & still all aluminum), or a turbo (both  ???). Both will run you in the $1,500 - $2,000 range.
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 06:21:57 PM »
Latest incarnation of my toy on 29" tires & OME suspension:

In the background you can see my other 4-door on 35" tires & Toyota axles:

'08 Yamaha FZ6

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 10:16:05 PM »
Good info---Jeremiah, your white one I could see out on the dunes or trail riding---But the red one looks good on the street :) ---I didn't see the pic of your 2dr convertible Kick---Show us that ugly little sucker :) I'll probably be running close to stock, don't care about room as I usually roll solo. So the comfort is the key--coil springs, auto trans, a/c, covertible---Looks like it's going to have to be a little Kick for me.

Are Geo Tracker and the Kick the same????---Thamks

Happy

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 09:59:05 AM »
Tracker, Sidekicks and SunRunners are all the same vehicle.  Here are some pictures of my 2 door.

Using Jeff's 3/4" spacer in front and a 1" spacer in the rear with Toyo 235/75 R15 All Terrain tires and 1" wheel spacers.  I recently switched to Grand Vit coils up front for a smoother ride and need to swap my rear shocks from the Grand Vit ones back to stock Tracker as they are just to stiff for a daily driver vehicle.   If I had to do it all again I would have just spent the money on an OME 1.5" lift or Calmini 2".

Stock with some Wild Country Mud Terrain tires.  We ended up poking holes in sidewall on both the rear tires and had to drive out with plugs in them.  I don't recommend these tires for much of anything.  They do look nice though.
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 04:49:21 PM »
http://images.craigslist.org/3m73ob3l4ZZZZZZZZZ96q5a5a1f1a1637177b.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/3k43m13p8ZZZZZZZZZ96q4f3afdbd2c3c1eef.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/3nb3md3p2ZZZZZZZZZ96q29796ef9a70912b1.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/3kf3m03laZZZZZZZZZ96qa7cd918999e8151a.jpg

:laugh: :laugh:Jeremiah couldn't post so here's a pic of his little animal Kick :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks for the pics the little red one is sort of cute---So what is OME suspension and if I find one with that on it , then that's a good thing?---Thanks

Happy
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 07:45:42 PM by HappyHarold4 »

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 01:35:53 AM »
Zebrariffic.  :D

Low Range Off-Road has the OME kit for 700.  It includes a choice of front and rear springs, OME struts and a set of rear shocks, all designed for 1-2" of lift.  They are very much worth while.  You can do a light lift yourself though for cheaper, some 4 door springs on a 2 door and modifying your spring pads.  In my opinion though if your just looking for a light duty wheeler just spend the bit extra and be done with it.

Then again, on my SJ I have a custom 4 link in the back and a home built RUF up front with folding shackles, and we don't buy anything on that if we can build it.  So I know the fun that comes with building your own solution.  :D
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 06:23:45 AM »
Two door Trackicks in the tintop version can have an agressive look too. They don't all look like " girly " rides. Check this out., www.flickr.com/photos/bentparts. The ride quality and storage with the back seat removed are pretty decent too.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 10:15:09 AM »
My 2-door isn't exciting - 100% stock. I'm thinking about making it the lightweight sand runner. If I go that direction, It'll get 29" tires, a spool in the rear, performance intake / exhaust, and the all-important OME suspension. I love building my own stuff, but I just don't think there's any way I could beat OME's engineers (OME is ARB's suspension devision, so they have lots of research $$$). Lowrangeoffroad.com is the best place to buy the OME from. I think it's superior to the Calmini kit. Yes, Calmini comes with extra toys (lower a-arms), but those lower a-arms are surpurflouious, and the heart of the kit (springs / struts / shocks) aren't built as well as the OME.

Doubt you'll find the OME lift on anything in your area, but if you do - great. Suzuki guys are frugal. If you were just ruck crawling, I'd probably at least recommend looking at spring spacers. They give lift, but you're still at stock suspension rate / travel... in the sand you want better valving & longer suspension travel... hence the OME recommendation.

bentparts has one of the best 2-doors I've ever seen - take a good look at it.

Go here, and have fun drooling:
http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=35.0
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 10:24:26 AM by Jeremiah »
'08 Yamaha FZ6