Hello Guest

Changing differential fluid. How? What type of fluid?

• 63 Replies

Online fordem

Re: Changing differential fluid. How? What type of fluid?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2009, 08:20:40 AM »
For what it's worth - this does not work on all vehicles, and if you check the FSM for whatever Suzuki you're driving, you'll probably find that Suzuki recommends against it.

The Grand Vitaras have a shifter "extension" that allows the shift to sit several inches behind the transmission (actually over the transfer case), and there's no way you're going to refill the transmission by pouring oil through that - so essentially you have two options, cut a hole in the side of the transmission tunnel opposite the fill plug, or, get underneath with a pump.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009, 09:37:45 AM »
For what it's worth - this does not work on all vehicles, and if you check the FSM for whatever Suzuki you're driving, you'll probably find that Suzuki recommends against it.

The Grand Vitaras have a shifter "extension" that allows the shift to sit several inches behind the transmission (actually over the transfer case), and there's no way you're going to refill the transmission by pouring oil through that

No, it probably doesn't work on all vehicles.  It certainly won't work on tcases that shift via linkage.  But it does work on the Samurai and Sidekick transmissions and tcases.  It also works on the NV4500 and SM465 transmissions, toyota w56 transmission and gear driven tcases.  Those are all that I can speak for as they are the only ones I have used this method on.

I just looked, and my 1986 Samurai FSM (Yes, FSM and not haynes or chilton) doesn't recommend against this anywhere, at least that I can find.  Don't have FSM's for any other suzuki vehicles.

Don't know if the GV is different than the vitara, but the vitara does have a similar extension that moves the shifter back 6" or so over the tcase.  When I refilled the tranny in my vitara, I had it on my workbench for a bearing replacement so I just refilled it with the adapter removed.  I no longer own a Vitara tranny (running toy stuff in there now) so I don't know how easy it would be to fill with the tranny still in the vehicle, or if the adapter is open enough to allow for oil flow through it. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 10:06:58 AM by sewerzuk »
My rig is a fusion of Jazz and Funk; I call it JUNK

Online fordem

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 10:33:31 AM »
OK - here's what the GV FSM says
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Cobb

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 06:12:41 PM »
I am looking to do the same on a 95 suzuki sidekick special edition with manualtranny and auto lockers. It has mobile 1 in everything, 50k miles and no change of tranny fluids, just engine and engine oil filters. I see the capacities in the manual, but not wrench size. Is it a square like 3/8 or half inch? The vehicle is my mothers and I do not live with her. I want to take the tool, pan and oil to change everything. Thinking of sychromesh for the trannys and some gl5 for the axles. The tranny is getting harder and harder to shift. Thanks.

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 09:42:26 PM »
It's just a 3/8 drive ratchet, you can put an extension on it if you wish,
and if it's really tight, you might want to use a breaker bar, or a pipe on
the end of the ratchet

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2009, 05:33:36 AM »
The hand pump I got from Harbor Freight works pretty damn good.

Offline Cobb

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2009, 08:37:03 PM »
Thaniks. Got 4 bottles of gl5 75w90 for the axles and 4 bottles of synchromesh for the tranny and tranfer case.

Wish me luck.

Offline Bobzooki

• Web Wheeler
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2009, 07:41:54 AM »
The Grand Vitaras have a shifter "extension" that allows the shift to sit several inches behind the transmission (actually over the transfer case), and there's no way you're going to refill the transmission by pouring oil through that - so essentially you have two options, cut a hole in the side of the transmission tunnel opposite the fill plug, or, get underneath with a pump.

As far as I can tell, my Kicks and my GV have the same transmission and transfer case.  No "pour it in from the top" on a Sidekick tranny.
Bob

Tahoe 24' Fish-N-Fun Tritoon
115 HP Mercury outboard

Offline wildgoody

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2009, 06:36:49 PM »
The pour in method works for the T-case

Wild

Offline Cobb

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2009, 06:49:45 PM »
Well my weekend was snowed out.

My geo metro I just poured it into the speed o meter hole, then stopped when it spilled from the fill hole.

I got a pump,  a few hoses for the job. Do the gear box and transfer case use 3/8 plugs as well?

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2009, 06:55:44 AM »
Hi everyone!

In case you tried to download the Samurai Factory Service Manual (FSM) or whatever chunk of a Sidekick FSM you could hope to find at suzukiinfo.com and found the bandwidth has been exceeded, try Ack's FAQ.  Plenty of bandwidth, '88 Samurai SFM with the 90-92 Supplement AND a '96 Tracker FSM!  Do a search for fsm. The link is in my signature, below.

I hope that this helps!
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2009, 08:26:19 PM »
I used to work in a quick oil change facility.Just a tip:Always crack the filler plug loose first before you drain the unit. Otherwise you might drain the diff and have no way of refilling it.
Ross

Offline Cobb

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2009, 07:11:27 AM »
Thanks, got all but the front axle. I made sure I could remove the fill plug before the drain plug so I wont be SOL in refilling it and it drains faster. THe rear axle was easy. It was black oil that came out. I used a short piece of hose and just pressed the bottle against the under side of the rear bump to fill it. I kept running into the problem when it started to ooz out, then I used my finger to check and it wasnt at the fill plug. I filled it a few times before it was finally there.

The transfer case I just poured it in. There is enough clearance under the car to do so. Now I see why it feels soo tippy. THat oil was medium brown and had 2 cunks in it like small teeth or a 1/4 of a match stick.

THe transmision fluid looked like mud. It was hard to crack either plug loose. I used a 3ft breaker bar on both. I filled it by running the hose through the engine compartment and filled it from up there. The drain plug was covered in what looked like silt.

I have a skid plate that blocked the front one and next month going to change it and engine oil n filter.

I changed the pcv valve per the book and went for a test drive. Man, it was quieter. Way mroe til I hit 50mph. It easily slipped into any gear going down the road. Now upshifting to engine brake it gave some resistant going backwards throughthe gears. But man, it was quieter and shifted with ease.

Best of all all I needed was a 3/8 socket square to crack the plugs. Previous scions and vws I have owned required a moneter allen wrench that is hard to find locally or cheap.

Offline wildgoody

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2009, 12:25:56 PM »
LOL, ya VW uses a 17mm plug, we used to take a 17mm head bolt and weld a handle onto it for a wrench,
works well and is cheep and easy to build

Wild

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2009, 10:37:57 AM »
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum & a new owner of a 2000 Tracker 4cyl 4X4. so far I'm lovin it but need opinions on using "Royal Purple" in the auto trans, transfer case & diffs. Has anyone else used this fluid, is this NOT recommended in Suzuki drivetrains? I can't find any info from Royal purple saying not to use it.