Hello Guest

Changing differential fluid. How? What type of fluid?

• 63 Replies

Offline Lindenmooch

• Just another paranoid android.
Changing differential fluid. How? What type of fluid?
« on: June 17, 2009, 11:38:39 AM »
Figured this might be an appropriate section for this.  Tried a quick search and didn't come up with much.   I heard the phrase "80/90" a couple times.  What does that mean?   And how exactly does one change the diff fluid.  Transfer case?  What about a manual transmission?  And is the front and rear diff the same for the purposes of changing the fluid?

Thanks!

-Mooch

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: Changing differential fluid. How? What type of fluid?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 12:18:09 PM »
Transmission and Transfer case you should use the standard 80/90W Gear oil you can pick up at the parts store.  For the diffs you can use the 80/90W as well or spring for the Synthetic's.  I use a synthetic oil in the front end to help take care of the ARB and the standard oil everywhere else.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Lindenmooch

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 12:34:12 PM »
Ok cool.  So I can just use 80/90w in all the drivetrain components then.  That will save me some money.   What is it called though?  Gear oil?  Diff fluid?  Trans fluid?

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 01:22:55 PM »
It is just standard GL4 gear oil.  You need to use GL4 in the transmission and transfer case, as they use brass components that can be damaged by GL5 gear oil.   For the diffs you can use GL5.

Synthetics are usually GL5 and can allow for a bit more power and better mileage as they are a lighter oil.  Someone will probably chime in with the exact replacement specs for your vehicle but for off-road use most just use the 80/90 GL4 in everything.
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Online fordem

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 06:14:25 PM »
Actually I go the other way - GL5 in both (because GL4 is sort of hard to find) - BUT - it needs to be  a "yellow metal" friendly GL5 such as Mobil1 synthetic.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline Lindenmooch

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 11:03:35 PM »
Alright.  Fair enough.  GL4 it is then.  But how do I change  the fluid in all my drivetrain components? 

I was kinda hoping this topic would get more attention, so it could help other people that need or want to change their gear oil or diff fluid.  Where's someone like Jeremiah when you need them?

Anyway.  The diff is kinda easy to figure out just by looking at it...but to be honest..I've never even looked for a way to change the trans fluid in a manual.....or in a transfer case.  I'll be wanting to change all those fluids soon...so feel free to chime in!  =)

Offline cmays03

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 05:05:45 AM »
there are plugs just like the ones in the diffs in the tcase and trans. or the trans might have a bolt head instead. what is this on a sami or tracker? I dont know if there is a difference in them or not. but anyways on the tcase u will see a drain plug that has a square cut out just like on the diffs. it will be at the very bottom in the back pull that and drain. basiclly the same on the trans but it should be on the side. I can get a couple pictures of a tcase if you need it I dont have a man trans anymore so cant help u there.
95 geo tracker sas with dana 30,35 axles 3.55 gears, 33 tsl's, 3 and 4 link suspension. stock motor trans, tcase has 4.24:1 reduction kit.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 10:55:19 AM »
Like cmays03 said, there is a drain plug on the bottom and a fill plug usually on the side or in the back of the transmission/transfer case/differential.  Basically you fill it up until the oil starts to spill out.

To fill it back up you need to either use a oil container with a hand pump (takes forever, your hand will cramp up), an electric one (they work, but are usually slow and burn out quickly if you buy the cheap ones), or you can get a hand pump similar to this thing.  You can find them on sale all the time and they are used a lot in marine applications for pulling the oil out through the dipstick on inboard engines.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 09:25:17 AM by Drone637 »
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 04:41:10 PM »
Mooch, you need a shop manual!
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline Lindenmooch

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 06:27:54 PM »
No, YOU need a shop manual.....wait.. You're right...I do need one.  hmm.

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 06:05:04 AM »
 ;D You are CORRECT! I DO need a shop manual, and USE it all the time!  Hey, what's  that sound? Oh, it's just the Piney's calling, saying    "where's Mooch?"  There's a waterhole here with your name on it!  All kidding aside, you can get a Chiltons or Haynes pretty cheap, that'll show you all the basics, although I wouldn't trust them for in depth technical stuff. If you plan on keeping your rig for awhile, it's a really good investment to get a REAL dealer type service manual. You can find them on ebay sometimes for a fair price. Anywhere from 25 to 75$. Worth every penny when it comes to doing the job right. Now go clean your carpet, it smells like fish!
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline Lindenmooch

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 07:15:30 AM »
I was figuring on just "winging it" when it comes to servicing or repairing the tracker.  And then of course, there's always zukiworld.  =)

And I actually have a Haynes around here somewhere for some small jobs.

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 05:49:05 PM »
Where's someone like Jeremiah when you need them?

Working on my Suzuki  ::)

Looks like everything's been covered. There's 4 places to change the oil: front diff, rear diff, trans & t-case. As said GL4 or yellow friendly GL5 must be used. I used a "yellow friendly" GL5. I'm not sure how much I trust the "yellow friendly" stuff, but GL4 is getting to be virtually impossible to find (I'm guessing EPA is phasing out GL4?). I've read about people using "regular" GL5, and it's ate up the synchronous gears in a hurry. My synchs are shot, so I have to shift like a truck driver (no drag racing for me).

I use the hand pump. Takes forever, so schedule an hour or two for the job. Recruit your son for the pumping job. The gear oil smells like a sulfur plant took a doo doo (read: use your "shop clothes" when handling the stuff). On the diffs, just re-fill until the oil starts to come out. On the trans and T-case I believe there's a drain hole & a fill hole  ??? I'd check the manual, but I'm not at home  :-\ Can anyone confirm  ??? Next time I do this job, I should just take pics....
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Online fordem

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 02:35:30 PM »
I've been using the Mobil1 75W90 GL5 synthetic in the transmission of my Suzuki Swift going on eight years now - no synchro problems there - I had the tranny out last year to replace the bearings, and the synchros looked just great.

I also put it in my GV about two months back (I've had the GV just over three months), so I'm using the same lube in transmission, transfer case and both diffs.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 10:54:14 PM »
Just FYI; I avoid the gear oil pump whenever possible.  It takes forever and then some.  My usual method is to pull the shift boots and shifter out of the top of the tranny and tcase (just a few bolts and a few minutes).  Then I just pour the specified amount of gear oil in through the shifter holes (the capacity listed in the shop manual)...then pull the side plugs to check level.  I must have used this method at least 20 times on many different vehicles and it works SO much better than the stupid little plastic pump. 
For the diffs, I avoid the pump as well.  I just use a quart gear oil bottle with the tip cut down about 50% and squeeze about 1/2 of the bottle in.  Then I refill the bottle, and squeeze another half in, etc etc.  Only takes a few minutes this way. 
My rig is a fusion of Jazz and Funk; I call it JUNK