Hello Guest

Exhaust Help! Flex pipe?

• 13 Replies

Offline Bryce132

Exhaust Help! Flex pipe?
« on: June 04, 2009, 08:02:11 PM »
Hey Guys,

Well I finally got the funds for a new exhaust system. The Local muffler shop quoted me at $400 as I need a new downpipe, mine is full of holes and leaking REALLY BAD.  I was going to get a flex pipe put in, new down pipe and 2 1/4 exhaust all the way back.

I am now having second thoughts after reading up on here..
What should I do? Anyone got an aftermarket header ? I'm located up here in Canada. I am just tires of it being run open header... lol...
Should I just get the stock downpipe with a flex pipe and new exhaust all the way back done?

Thanks

Bryce

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
Re: Exhaust Help! Flex pipe?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 09:45:20 PM »
can you weld?  or do you have a local buddy that will weld for beer?

If so you can order 2 180 degree bends and an 8'length of pipe and a muffler and do the whole system for under $100 in a few hours...buy a header with the $$ you save. 
My rig is a fusion of Jazz and Funk; I call it JUNK

Offline Bryce132

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 03:56:22 AM »
Yes I can weld... Poiblem is finding the piping. Only place locally is the nuffler shop, and they will only sell it if they install it. Some kind of marketing technique... lol.

The exhaust is garbage from the downpipe back, and I NEED a new one NOW. I cant wait around for weeks for a header to be shipped...

Bryce

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 08:34:20 AM »
No luck at the local auto part store?  Most of the stores around here carry exhaust pipe, it's just stored in the back.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline mverley

• SPACE JUNK
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 03:08:53 PM »
same here...my local Napa sells pipe by the foot for pretty cheap.  
Low Range off road genrally stocks the headers they sell...although I don't know about shipping to Canada, they have always shipped same-day for me and I usually get their stuff in 1-2 days.  I just bought a calmini header from them a couple of weeks ago and got it 2 days after ordering. 
As far as the bends, every auto parts store I have ever been in carries a stock of exhaust bends...the last system I did I ordered mandrel 180 degree bends from Jegs and just cut the angles out of them that I needed.  
If you can't source exhaust pipe locally, you can buy that from Jegs as well, although I know they charge a little more for it that I usually pay locally.  
My rig is a fusion of Jazz and Funk; I call it JUNK

Offline Bryce132

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 05:36:35 PM »
What I'm asking is... what would be my best route? By the time I source it all out/get it shipped here it would be the same as getting it from my local exhaust shop (400). What would be the strongest header to purchase? My exhaust takes a beating...

Is there a flex pipe stock? Should I put one in?

Bryce

Offline Dimitros

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 07:23:31 AM »
As for my opinion the best header is Calmini's one. Flex pipe isn't there in stock. But I would recomend to put one, it helps to absorb vibrations taken by the exhaust while offroading.

Except 2" piping and some (usually 2) angles get header, get glasspack and get any small resonator. Consequently you'll have quite quiet exhaust system which 'll also provide you with good boost.

Read this thread, there are some pics of my exhaust on pages 2 and 3.
http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=325.0
95 Samurai, 1.3, high comp.pistons, ported/grinded head, 1.6 valves, bored intake, Solex carb, K&N air, MSD Coil-Blaster+MSD 8.5 wires+Denso Iridium IW16 plugs, Calmini Tri-Y heder, Cherry-Bomb+Bosal custom exhaust, GRS II 4.89 T-case, 3.92:1 R&Ps, Calmini 3.5" susp., 30" BFG ATs, AVM 538 hubs...

Offline karl214

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Rust in Peace Black Bugger..1994 sidekick... Planing on a Digger"donuts" and 3 inch bodylift, topped off with 31x10.50's in the spring.New D.D 90 softtop lilblue with the heart of black bugger

Offline Bryce132

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 11:05:44 AM »
As for my opinion the best header is Calmini's one. Flex pipe isn't there in stock. But I would recomend to put one, it helps to absorb vibrations taken by the exhaust while offroading.

Except 2" piping and some (usually 2) angles get header, get glasspack and get any small resonator. Consequently you'll have quite quiet exhaust system which 'll also provide you with good boost.

Read this thread, there are some pics of my exhaust on pages 2 and 3.
http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=325.0

Thanks for the Info, whats a glass pack?

Looking for a used header I think, cheaper and its on my offroad rig. She dont spend much time on the road, and zero highway driving so loud doesnt bother me. It has pretty much open header now with a cherry bomb which will stay on it untill I get enough funds for a magna flow. 2'' exhaust sounds good.

karl - That is what I need,  but that ones looks to be in rough shape as well! Might end up going that route...

Bryce

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 01:11:53 PM »
I believe a cherry bomb and glass packs are the same thing. I think Cherry Bomb is just a brand. I may be wrong but...

Offline Dimitros

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2009, 01:37:02 PM »
I believe a cherry bomb and glass packs are the same thing. I think Cherry Bomb is just a brand. I may be wrong but...

Yes, it's the same thing. But, except of glasspacks, CherryBomb also has a pretty good muffler line out there.

Thanks for the Info, whats a glass pack?

Looking for a used header I think, cheaper and its on my offroad rig. She dont spend much time on the road, and zero highway driving so loud doesnt bother me. It has pretty much open header now with a cherry bomb which will stay on it untill I get enough funds for a magna flow. 2'' exhaust sounds good.

karl - That is what I need,  but that ones looks to be in rough shape as well! Might end up going that route...

Bryce

Bryce132,
what kind of cherry bomb you got? It just might be one of those glasspacks, like this for example:
http://www.cherrybomb.com/products/

I have 2"x22" CB glasspack and after that reduced to 45mm diameter piping to the straight through type resonator, no catalityc converter. Keep in mind, that backpressure thing in my exhaust design is very disputable decision. Someone understands/agrees, someone not. It's up to you.
95 Samurai, 1.3, high comp.pistons, ported/grinded head, 1.6 valves, bored intake, Solex carb, K&N air, MSD Coil-Blaster+MSD 8.5 wires+Denso Iridium IW16 plugs, Calmini Tri-Y heder, Cherry-Bomb+Bosal custom exhaust, GRS II 4.89 T-case, 3.92:1 R&Ps, Calmini 3.5" susp., 30" BFG ATs, AVM 538 hubs...

Offline Bryce132

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 06:25:56 AM »
Hey,

Yeah I have a GLASSPACK, but those style mufflers will not pass around here. I will keep that in my exhasut system untill my MVI comes around...
Still no luck finding a header, may have to go with stock....
2'' or 2 1/4' exhaust?

Bryce

Offline Dimitros

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 10:18:57 PM »
Stock header is crap, there's no need in 2" or 2"1/4 exhaust if you operate stock header. Keep your glasspack, just put the glasspack in the middle. Glasspack = no flow restrictions and good sound absorbing.

Example: header -> flex pipe -> glasspack -> backpressure(if neded) -> piping-> muffler-> end piping.

Is it necessary to go with catalityc converter in Canada? Asking cause I have none and still pass Euro3 emission tests.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 10:01:57 AM by Dimitros »

Offline joe_and_jeep

• Why have a Rev Limiter and not use it?
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 07:12:21 PM »
I'm an Assistant Manager at an exhaust shop...  If you come in and talk about wheelin' u get a huge discount...  Too bad you dont live close to Pittsburgh.
96 Tracker DD - 2in, 30s
95 Tracker Under the Knife - 4.3V6 - Rest Unknown
91 Jeep YJ Full Cage, Tri Link, D44/D44 35s
84 Jeep XJ Doubler HP44/9IN 35s