Hello Guest

front end /interest?

• 31 Replies

Offline 37kicker

• 97 tracker 9inch front and rear on 40" pitbulls
Re: front end /interest?
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 07:54:00 PM »
if your going to stay stock no need to upgrade. some fellow zukers do not have the tools to fab hot rod parts is why i might do this. the price is just a guess still looking in to stuff buying equip to do the spline work my self or farm it out. and i did not vanish just buisy and i try to reply to every one. some times i for get who i replied to.  thanks for the compliment cj   stan

Online fordem

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 08:59:24 AM »
Now I'm more confused !! Was that in answer to my post (the one immediately preceeding it)?  You're the one who said you weren't planning a lift - if I was planning to stay stock I wouldn't be here asking questions.

I'm one of the folks who lack the facilities to fab stuff, and even something as conceptually simple as swapping the alloy front diff for a steel one would be challenging (at least locating one would) - hence my interest.
'98 SQ420 Grand Vitara
'05 JB420 Grand Vitara
'16 APK416 Vitara
'21 A6G415 Jimny

Offline 37kicker

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 07:47:57 PM »
you asked about a need to up grade the allu. front diff , if you are  going to lift your truck and 31's the stock diff will break sooner or later.  the kit i might build will only address the weak allu. front diff and axle problems that you might encounter with larger tires and agressive wheeling. and yes the steel diffs are hard to find    stan

Offline Bryce132

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 07:52:35 PM »
Hey

I lifted mine and have 31's on it, and I feel the front diff is the weak link... still no solutions to the problem as there are ZERO steel diffs around here.

Bryce

Offline trevorsride

• Coos Bay Oregon
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 08:35:20 PM »
I think it sounds like a great idea
96 Geo Tracker 1.6 16V 3spd auto 2 dr soft top Jeffs 2" spacers, and 30" tires

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2009, 08:22:07 AM »
If you are worried about breaking your front diff, check this thread out by ZuesZukih

http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=21156.0
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Bryce132

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2009, 08:31:51 AM »
I have seen that, but I dont have access to those parts.

I would probably be fabing up some kind on pinon brace. I know the diff housing is aluminum, but are the diff mounts/brackets?

Bryce

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2009, 10:22:47 AM »
Stan,
I think it's a great idea with a need in the market place, but keep in mind you are dealing with Zuk owners. $1000 for a good front end set up is a good price for most any vehicle. I had over $1900 in the Anvil set up I had in the white Kick (just parts, not counting labor, blown CV's, etc..). When I went to sale the complete front end set up (anvil, GV Steel housing, 5.83's, Detroit locker, maxima shafts) I only had a few serious lookers. But when the person came along that needed a bullet proof front end, they jumped on it quick.

I think it would definitely sale, just not in high volumes,

My 2 cents,
Zig
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2009, 11:07:26 AM »
Fordem, If you are planning a lift, you can always strengthen your diff mounts in the front to help prevent twisting of the small side. That's what usually breaks, the small mount, from the diff twisting in it's mounts. A good skid plate is insurance too, against slamming somthing into the housing.

Stan, I think Zukipilot has a good point. It's a great concept, but very few Zuk owners would probably spend that much on ANYTHING! Hell, most of them think 1k is too much to PAY for a Trackick! Personally, I think it's a bargain. Calmini gets $700+ for an empty anvil.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline 37kicker

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2009, 10:40:01 PM »
i agree with you guys :( but i thought id throw the whole concept out there for some feedback, i'll might still figure it all out for the few...  stan

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2009, 04:22:15 AM »
i agree with you guys :( but i thought id throw the whole concept out there for some feedback, i'll might still figure it all out for the few...  stan

Still sounds like a great Idea.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2009, 05:42:58 AM »
Having the ability to machine sleeves, you could do sami housing conversions for a reasonable cost.  My conversion was not hard to do, but could be improved on.  I had to special order a seal, and was able to use the sami bearings.  It appears as I might have to have the Drivers Side bearing seal sleeve machined to make it a little deeper (when bearing is up against the seal part of shaft, too much axle still exposed). 
Also I have broke a lengthened mount.  Need to improve on those.

If you set up to convert these housings, like your Toyota CV conversions, there may be enough interest to make it worthwhile.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline locjaw

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2009, 07:18:45 AM »
im not going to do a llift just a front diff, axles, housing.  to make the front end stronger.  stan

This actually brings up another question for me - again, it's based on what I read - and for those of you who wonder why my questions are based on what I read, I've had my GV for just over two months, and there are no off road clubs out here for me to see what other folks have done, so I get what information I can from the internet and guys like you.

Any way - back to the question - I get the impression that the GV's alloy front diff is not that strong (and yes, mine has an alloy diff), but, it's usually not a problem until folks start to lift things and run bigger tires, etc. - so - am I labouring under a misconception or is there really a need for a stronger IFS if it's not going to be lifted?

no, not really. the stronger front end is usualy only needed when you lift/lock the front end.
1995 Sidekick SAS'd "Trail Slayer"
1993 4 door lifted "Road Warrior"
1995 4 door stocker "CreamPuff"

Offline 37kicker

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2009, 08:04:12 PM »
i was thinking of using the tracker rear 7.5"  and housing or maby a fabed housing.  stan

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2009, 11:09:10 PM »
The 7.5 housing is MUCH BIGGER than the Sami's.  I even trimmed the bottom swell out and replaced it with flat bar to keep it from hanging too low.  If you used the 7.5" housing there would be no room to lower the diff., without it hanging below the cross members.
The Sami diff's seem to be pretty strong, until the taller gears, which are getting very hard to find.  So they should work for most rigs.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.