Hello Guest

Hello... New Zook owner!

• 24 Replies

Offline rago

Hello... New Zook owner!
« on: May 13, 2009, 07:49:02 PM »
First off, I'd like to say hi to everyone. Y'all can call me Rago. I plan to stick around & learn some Suzuki stuff & possibly spread my knowledge of other vehicles to anyone that needs help.

I just got my first Samurai about a month ago. It's pretty solid, but needs some work. The previous owner done a spring over & homemade some shackles that measure a hair over 10 3/4 inches from end to end :o . On top of that, I need to rebuild the 1.3 due to a broken piston ring & what appears to be a blown head gasket. I did get to drive it for a couple of days before the head gasket blew, but with bad rings & 33 inch tires, it barely hit 45 mph. The guy I got it from did throw in a 1.6 block, but it has a melted connecting rod & scored crank. Also it's just a short block, no head or anything.

So since I'm new to the Zukiworld (pun intended) what direction should I go with this little beast? I plan to make it a CHEAP trail rig that might see some roads every once in a while.

Offline mypocketsrfull

Re: Hello... New Zook owner!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 09:44:07 PM »
nice looking  rig! well i guess i will say it before anyone else, first question is always; what kind of trails do you plan on running? desert, rocks, mud etc...

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 01:55:20 AM »
Complete 1.6L (harness & ecu) around here are pretty cheap (less than the cost of a 1.3L rebuild kit & machine work). Because the 1.6L is fuel injected, it's much more powerful, and gets BETTER gas mileage than the 1.3L. If you can't afford (or can't find) a 1.6L, you can bolt the 1.6L lower you have to your 1.3L head (people have done it, you just need some special timing belt I think). If you're going to spend the $$$ on a rebuild kit - may as well have the bigger displacement of the 1.6L (much better torque curve).

With 33" tires, carry some front axle spares (buy the double toughs from TT if you can afford them - they're quite nice). You're also going to want some t-case gears. Samurai is unique in that the t-case gears reduce the gearing in high and low range (buy the gears that correct for the 33" tires in hi-range and you'll get 80%ish of your power back - 10-20% will be lost to the increase in rotational mass of the big tires). 2 to 2 1/4" exhaust, headers & high flow cat / muffler will also free a lot of ponies. If you keep your head & intake - the biggest restriction at that point will be your stock carb. Eventually you'll want to swap it for a bigger carb (there's cheap junk yard options from like a 1.8L Toyota), FI, or motorcycle side-draft carb(s). There's always the turbo option, but don't think about it unless you're going FI & have at $1,000-$2,000 to spend on it. If you have some $$$ laying around, the 2.0L is a good swap too.
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline TopHeavy96

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 04:33:52 AM »
Hey nice rig!!  I gotta get me a Sammi!  Welcome to the site!
96' Tracker 4-door, 16v, auto, open front, limited slip rear, Jeff1997's 2" lift with diff spacer, 95' mustang shocks, Calmini axle truss, BFG 30x9.5 mud-terrains on 15x8 "D"-windows, trimmed and banged fenders and bumpers, radio shack CB, Tom Tom GPS, 100w KC lights
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1097549855954

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 05:32:34 AM »
As you will eventually find, there are as many opinions about what to do with your Sammy, as there are Sammy owners! I think Jeremiah is correct in that your probably better off just swapping the engine out for a known good later model 1.6 ltr. I know plenty of guys that use the stock running gear with 31's no prob. Start searching the site for ideas, you'll find plenty, and welcome aboard!
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline sammypro.com

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 08:29:33 AM »
here goes my .02

If you plan to swap with small budget in mind the 1.6 or greater is probably the way to go (money vs. reward). HOWEVER if you do decide to rebuild there are more performance parts available for the 1.3 ( flat top 9.5 or 10.1 pistons) w/ the right carb and header you can get 95-115 HP. The problem that all builders are facing is lack of flat top or equivalent pistons for the 1.6. It forces you to stay w/ stock setup as far as pistons are concerned. Of course being a builder I will take the "Pepsi challenge" w/ any 1.6 swap vs. my 1.3 built Sammy. The downside is I spent 1200.00 building the motor, from what you said that may be too much. ANYWHOOO, NICE RIG AND GOOD LUCK! 8)
Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some freakin' muscle.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/sammypro

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 09:12:12 AM »
I would cut down those shackles a bit for starters.  :D

If you want to stick with the 1.3, I would look at swapping in a 6.5:1 transfer case.

For the drive train, I would go with a mini-spool or a locker in the back.  Later for the front a lock right with some rear side gears and a set of Double Tough chromoly axles from Trail Tough.  And a traction bar if you plan on getting into things a bit, otherwise you can bend your rear springs up.

But it looks like a good start, what do you have for the steering setup?
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline mypocketsrfull

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 09:36:21 AM »
out of curiosity jeremiah, what would a guesstimate be of the cost of a 2.0 swap done correctly? any links to info? i know that i have read you NEED to have a body lift or a HUGE hood scoop because it is bigger, but what else? are there kits? difficult electrical? etc? dont want to steal this thread, but since you brought it up...

Offline rago

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 10:39:17 AM »
Wow guys, thanks for all of the replies & I appreciate the compliments! Let me try to answer some questions & suggestions.

I plan on mostly running tight wooded trails with some mud & hill climbs. My main plans are to build a Jeep Killer for cheap. I mean isn't that the whole point of these? lol

I want to build this 1.6 lower end & bolt it up to the 1.3 stuff. Fuel injection is nice, but expensive. My problem is that I can't seem to find anyone that sells 1.6 rods since one of mine is seriously melted. The block looks fine & the crank has some grooves that could probably be cleaned up. I also have a FI intake, but no wiring, throttle body or head.

Wow, a 2.0? How do those compare to a 1.6 swap in terms of parts swapability & ease of installation? I had also looked into a Swift GTI 1.3 bottom end, but would it be worth it? I found one for $400 without the wiring harness.

I did make some holes farther up on the shackles because it was very unstable at any speed over about 15mph. Does anyone know what the factory shackle lengths are front & rear? I'm probably going to fabricate some about an inch longer than factory. After I dropped the shackle holes down, I had to put some 235/75R15s on that I had laying around. The 33's fit, but it looks tight so I might end up doing a shackle reversal if the cost is cheap enough or possibly a body lift to fit the 33's.

The steering looks like some sort of home-fabbed job just like everything else. I'll try to get some pics.

How cheap & easy would it be to get transfer case gears vs axle gears?

Offline one mile

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 02:34:48 PM »
Welcome! I am fairly new here myself and have found plenty of good people here that want to help in any way they can...so far they have helped me keep going in the right direction. you will like it here.
"WORK SMART NOT HARD"

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 04:34:33 PM »
Of course being a builder I will take the "Pepsi challenge" w/ any 1.6 swap vs. my 1.3 built Sammy.

Any 1.6L?
http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=22360.0
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bentparts/
 ;)

I'm not on the "build 1.3L" bandwagon. The HP & Torque numbers seem to be about the same as a stock 1.6L, and I'm an "area under the curve" guy. Peak numbers aren't too useful - how quickly does the engine build that torque? Do you have to run premium fuel to get the same numbers as a stock 1.6L? How useful is it for the average person to build a motor to do the same #s as an already available turn-key engine?

For $1,200 I can install a 2.0L and have money left over. More resourceful people have done the 2.5L swap for not much more coin. Just saw a complete 1.6L w/ harness in the for sale section for $300. As said - it's a cost vs benefit thing.

That said - guys like samipro who've got hopped up 1.3L engines sure seem to love 'em.
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline rago

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 04:50:08 PM »
Any 1.6L?
 ;)

Wow, that is just awesome! I just want something to go trotting through the woods in, but that definitely caught my attention! I already have my 455 powered Cutlass project & two Chevelles if I want to go fast, but... I'm just speechless.

Offline TopHeavy96

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 05:12:09 PM »
Any 1.6L?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bentparts/

Jeremiah, what about the camden blown 1.6 in the hill climb sammy,(yellow I think) I bet that'll beat a few 1.3s :P
I couldn't find the post but it's nice!

455 powered Cutlass project

Hey, I got one of those!  1969 442 clone here!
96' Tracker 4-door, 16v, auto, open front, limited slip rear, Jeff1997's 2" lift with diff spacer, 95' mustang shocks, Calmini axle truss, BFG 30x9.5 mud-terrains on 15x8 "D"-windows, trimmed and banged fenders and bumpers, radio shack CB, Tom Tom GPS, 100w KC lights

Offline rago

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 05:30:02 PM »
Hey, I got one of those!  1969 442 clone here!

Mine's a 72 Cutlass S, not one of those gawd awful Supremes, lol! It's completely gutted & I'm in the middle of rebuilding a 455 from a 68 Toro. I actually put that project on hold until I get through my upcoming wedding in August. Now I got this Zook that I'd like to get going, so it looks like it's going to be waiting for a few more months.

69 happens to be one of my favorites next to 71-72 & 65. 8)

Offline TopHeavy96

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 05:43:55 PM »
My first was a '72. Those were my favorite body style, till I saw a '69. I got it for 500 bucks.  I couldn't do anything with it, the rocket was seized :'( and had a hole in the floor I could stick my head through.  I found a rotted & bondoed '69 true 442 that I drove daily for about 5 years (in Cleveland, including winters) :o.  I'm now in the process of swapping all the goodies from that onto the clone. (used to be the hideous supreme)  One good thing about making one good ride out of two decent ones, is I can sell extra parts to fund my Zuki addiction!!