Hello Guest

1990 Tracker tintop build

• 117 Replies

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
Re: NEW USER...1990 Hardtop Buildup
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2009, 12:09:08 PM »
UPDATE: took final shipment yesterday, Monday, June 6th, of all the Calmini parts.  Started stripping the Tracker down some more than I already had.  Basically have the entire front suspension disassembled, to reinstall with the new Calmini hardware and parts.  BUT as I am stripping down the suspension front and rear, I am also touching up paint and undercoating on the chassis.  WILL POST PICTURES.  But my white Tracker has a WHITE underbody that had 20years of road tar on it...so after four steam cleanings...out came the Kragen rubberized undercoat on Friday afternoon before I had to work at 6pm (word of advice, do NOT spray rubberized undercoat for 4 hours and try to get ready for work at a restaurant in time...that stuff does not like to come off easy.  shoulda worn coveralls).
But didn't want to tear down the stock suspension until I knew my parts would be here...so with the suspension removed I touched up the rubberized undercoating at 11pm last night...ate dinner...then went back outside to put a coat of semi-gloss black spraypaint on the front of the frame, to get ready for future bumper installation (I want the frame behind the bumper to be black), and the rear a-arm crossmember, all painted black.  I don't want any leftover white frame showing then the lift is finished.  Black hides road tar and dirt a lot better underneath.  Plus, the frame was looking ugly as it sat.  Next step is ordering Trail Tough tube bumpers and sliders.  Linda at TT said they can modify the front bumper to eliminate the winch plate and mount me a 2" receiver...so I will most likely go that route.  .145 wall tubing is the best built bumper/slider combo I have seen yet.
Post pics soon.  I will take some today before I start reinstalling the new Calmini components.
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.  Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
90 Tracker LSi 2dr tintop 5spd: slow toy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08 Pontiac G8 GT: fast toy
90 Tracker LSi 2dr 5spd: SOLD.......95 Tracker 2dr 5spd: parts..........90 Sidekick JX 5spd: HI, my name's DJ and I have an addiction.........93 Tracker 2dr 2wd 5spd: PS donor/poss. 4x4 swap from 95 parts

Offline Lindenmooch

• Just another paranoid android.
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2009, 01:55:14 AM »
Fantastic looking hardtop!  I love those!  Wish mine was a hardtop.  Looks like a great buildup.  Can't wait to see more pics!  Have any rust issues to contend with?  I know the convertible versions like mine are all rotted out in the back.

Keep up the good work!

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2009, 10:39:59 AM »
Have any rust issues to contend with?  I know the convertible versions like mine are all rotted out in the back.
NO rust.  Literally.  This thing musta been garaged when it wasn't being towed.  No rust but I am just painting and undercoating to hide the ugly white chassis.

And yes, it is a fun build.  I am moving very fast on the suspension but very slow on the project as a whole since I have to keep stopping to wait for paint to dry.  My next step is to install the new hubs while other things are drying.  Had to work at 4pm yesterday so couldn't finish the differential drop brackets.  BTW, called Calmini yesterday, JAKE answered the phone:
"Calmini Products how may I direct your call?"
I told them I bought SK19900 3" kit for my Tracker and was at the step pertaining to the center differential mount...
"Oh, you want to know which bushing goes where, don't you?"
BINGO! (talk about mind reading)
"Factory bushing on top, Calmini bracket, then the Calmini bushing on bottom, then the crossmember."

I shortenened the sleeve +/- 1/4" instead of eliminating it, I figured it would be better to have it.
God put me on earth to accomplish a certain number of things.  Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.
90 Tracker LSi 2dr tintop 5spd: slow toy . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 08 Pontiac G8 GT: fast toy
90 Tracker LSi 2dr 5spd: SOLD.......95 Tracker 2dr 5spd: parts..........90 Sidekick JX 5spd: HI, my name's DJ and I have an addiction.........93 Tracker 2dr 2wd 5spd: PS donor/poss. 4x4 swap from 95 parts

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2009, 09:32:35 AM »
Here's an update:  I was supposed to post these pictures for yall the other day, but was too busy.  THis was before I started installing the lift, and in the process of touching up paint.  I undercoated the frame and all wheelwells, and painted the whole front end black, and the front a-arm hangers and the main crossmember black too.  Here's what it looked like a few days ago:

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2009, 09:36:11 AM »
I found a can of blue spraypaint in my shed that was somewhat close to Calmini blue...painted my sway bar.  Then as of last night: front end completed...dropped rear gas tank skid in preparation for the Aftermarket 4x4 gas tank skidplate.  Want to drop the whole tank to paint the rear frame like I did on the front.  Next step: "SKITIME" lights  ;D

Offline Lindenmooch

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2009, 10:06:31 AM »
Damn!  That looks good.  Wish mine looked like that!   

Offline TopHeavy96

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2009, 10:23:22 AM »
Dang!! Nice work so far!  I can't wait till I can get some pretty blue bits,  if I don't SAS it instead! ::)
96' Tracker 4-door, 16v, auto, open front, limited slip rear, Jeff1997's 2" lift with diff spacer, 95' mustang shocks, Calmini axle truss, BFG 30x9.5 mud-terrains on 15x8 "D"-windows, trimmed and banged fenders and bumpers, radio shack CB, Tom Tom GPS, 100w KC lights
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1097549855954

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2009, 09:26:42 PM »
Everything is so very clean...  :D
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2009, 12:44:53 AM »
Everything is so very clean...  :D
I know!  After seeing some pictures on here of some that come from other parts of the world, mine is really rust-free.  The worst rust I have seen is purely surface rust.  It looks great.  I guess I'm blessed to have found one in such good condition.

Put the four tires on today, on four car dollies, and spun the car 180 degrees to work on the rear now.  Tore apart the rear end today and touched up all the undercoating I missed in the rear, masked off the back half of the car and painted the frame and bumper area black just like the front.  But DAMMIT I forgot pictures!  Sorry.  Some tomorrow for sure. 

This morning I ordered the Sky HD Idler Arm and Aftermarket 4x4 gas tank skid plate through Sean Conk at Low Range Off Road.  Nice guy.  Idler Arm has already shipped.  10 days for the gas tank skid.  Then called Trail Tough and ordered my front bumper.  I am ordering one bumper at a time, and starting with the front, since Linda |removethispart|@ TT said they are making it custom, built to order, for me, for the same price, and will take 10 days to fabricate.  So that's a plus  :)

If i get the rear end done too soon, I will finish my Skitime lights and start wiring my fuse block and CB and finish my dashboard panel.  Will post pictures of the new dash panel when it's mounted in place and completed.

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2009, 10:35:43 AM »
Got the back finished yesterday or the day before.  Just bleeding my brakes today and making longer rear diff breather, and drawing my switchboard pattern on AutoCAD before I hack into the new stainless steel panel.  Here's a few pics (2) days ago the back end done and what my paint looks like all done minus the shocks.  INstalled the new idler arm too...WOW

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2009, 12:56:47 AM »
The rear kit is done.  INstalled a stainless steel diff breather line, and still have yet to bleed brakes.  Been REALLY lagging since I finished the rear suspension, lost a lot of drive to finish it all of a sudden, so I spent time on the "little" nagging projects that consume a lot of time, while i'm waiting for the rest of my parts to come in.  So far: installed my "skitime" lights, fully functional and everything.  Was about to start cutting holes in my switchboard for switches, but has a brainfart to locate my switches where they would be easier to reach and install an oil pressure gauge and voltmeter in the other dash panel.  Other than the mirror lights, there is nothing done too much.  Just waiting for parts to come in to mount the rest of the lights, get the car out of my sideyard, and start tweaking it to at least drive to the tire shop for mounting and alignment.

Has anyone had to re-align their Tracker/Sidekick again after alignment, after the installing the Calmini 3" suspension and it "settles", does the alignment change too much?

Offline Zukipilot

• stretch the limits of reality!!!
Re: 1990 tintop build
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2009, 01:53:19 PM »
You will probably want to have it checked if you align it right out of the shop. I did a driveway alignment (close enough to drive good) and went up to Tellico and ran the forrest roads for two days to get everything broken in good (even some jumping) When I got back I checked everything then took it to the alignment shop//

HTH,
Zig
Zukipilot
'92 Liberty Overland Sidekick

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2009, 02:12:34 PM »
That's what I was thinking about doing...keep it on my old tires (cause I don't care how they wear, evenly or not), and do a driveway alignment on the toe-in just to get it driveable (ignore the camper for now) and go break in the suspension for a week of driving or so, then professionally align it and mount my new tires and such.

Offline Lindenmooch

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2009, 07:55:24 PM »
You all done yet?  I wanna see it!

Offline djlantis57

• Take your chrome home
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2009, 11:06:10 PM »
Dang haven't posted in awhile.  It's been up on its tires, each on a wheel dolly so I can spin it around and move it sideways in my driveway, but not 100% driving yet.  Going to put it on my flatbed to take it to an auto shop to flush out a lot of fluids and change timing belt, etc. so I know how old it is, so I can start my own maintenance schedule.  Then to get aligned with the old tires still.  Will have the 30s on it by the time fall rolls around (and school starts too) after a few little 4x4 runs and at least 500-1000 miles to get it "broken in". 
Monday: tested all trailer wiring (at back for towing trailer, and wiring in front from previous owner to use taillights when towing with towbar), and rerouted front wiring and modified plug ends for my family's trucks to tow it.  Tucked away nice.
Got my Trail Tough rear bumper and side sliders yesterday, mounted the rear today, and rerouted trailer wiring, etc.  Almost done with my switchboard so I can complete the interior stuff once and for all. 
Maybe tomorrow (Thursday) I can find someone to help me hold up the TT nerf bar sliders so I can mark my holes, and have to drop the lower trailing arm to mount the rear bracket.  But for now I am doing one-man stuff to kill time.
I wish I had a few pictures of how it looks with front and rear bumpers and back on its own tires, but didnmt think ahead!