Hello Guest

engine enhancements

• 29 Replies

Offline 1bigtracker

• F*** trail rated, try trail tested
Re: engine enhancements
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2004, 07:39:39 AM »

So here's an interesting debate issue. Since the Sidekick has a bigger engine compartment than the Samurai AND Suzuki is making larger engines that bolt to existing Suzuki Sidekick drivetrain, why would one want to hop up the smaller engine when it would be cheaper to install the newer large engines?

I guess what would help if there was a vendor that could 'kit' this process of putting a V6 into a Sidekick. That could add a degree of confidence.

Thoughts?

-Eric

i think that it would be hard to find newer engines to do the swap with.  most people can't just go to an insurance aution to buy a rolled tracker(or XL-7 whatever they came out of)  that would mean buying the engine and kit from a vendor would get pretty spendy.  plus i don't think i would want such a big engine.  dose anyone know thw weigh if a 1.6, 2.0, and the 2.7?

stu

Offline 90Stomper

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2004, 12:10:29 PM »
So here's an interesting debate issue. Since the Sidekick has a bigger engine compartment than the Samurai AND Suzuki is making larger engines that bolt to existing Suzuki Sidekick drivetrain, why would one want to hop up the smaller engine when it would be cheaper to install the newer large engines?

I guess what would help if there was a vendor that could 'kit' this process of putting a V6 into a Sidekick. That could add a degree of confidence.

if i could find a drop in 6cyl kit and motor options i would do it in a heartbeat, i would even go get another loan... ;D

by the way, i called calmini 2 yrs ago and they told me that the company that made the sidedraft kits went out of buisness and that THEY (calmini) had bought the dies for casting them.... and were going to offer them the next yr, which would have been last year... i didnt see them ???
2004 chevy tracker, 4door, V6
says 'Chevy' on the outside,
but its covered with lots of big 'S's on the inside ;)

Offline steveofrost

• '91 SS JLX 4-Door
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2004, 09:45:09 PM »
i think that it would be hard to find newer engines to do the swap with.

I'm with stu on this one. If I could get my hands on a newer engine I wouldn't hesitate. Truely the reality though is that there are not a lot of engines that I can get a hold of, so basically I have to improve on what I got. Hell, if there was a V6 kit, I'd jump on that too, but then comes in that price debate. Would all of this cost me my arm and then my leg? If I had a smaller (doesn't mean any less superior!) rig like a Sami or 2-door tracker, I'd like to push its limits with what its got, and I think I'd still like to see a business pop out some nice things for those bad boys.

steveo

95XL7

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2004, 10:34:33 PM »

Would all of this cost me my arm and then my leg?

steveo

I got lucky, i still have my right leg and arm.... ;D

Offline MUTANT_ZUK

• Its only one of a kind if you make it!
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2004, 12:18:07 AM »
  Well unless youre just wanting to stay pure Zuk parts theres a whole lot of engine options out there,ya just gotta quit thinking one dimensionaly.A sammie with its divorced T-case can be mated to just about anything you can get under the hood and that the T-case will handle horse power wise.For the other models there are engine ,trans,and T-case combos that will work If youre willing to do the fabricating of mounts etc.So if just looking for more power,availabilty,and lots of times cheaper look at all of your options. You may be the one to come up with the new hot set up,Experiment! its fun and when it all comes together and works you can truly say its one of a kind.    Yall keep em rolling (no matter what powers em)      M.Z.
Now thats stress relief 4X4!                  MUTANT ZUK

Offline Mike71

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2004, 02:38:31 AM »
if there is enough interest i will goto the zuki wrecker near me and see how many good 6-cyl zuki engines there are

last time i went there about 6 months ago there were 15-20 rolled or otherwise wrecked GVs and Xl-7s

most had not even 1 dent on the hood..the roofs were pealed back and the wheels were uterly destroyed so i imagine some of them took pretty hard hits

but i can still poke around im positive there are atleased 10 good donar engines there
623hp kb cobra sold! 100hp kick new DD :P

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2004, 03:24:42 AM »
Dude, If I could get an intact, rolled
XL or GV I would want the whole thing
and transplant the entire driveline, ECU
Tcase complete.

Then I might need to transplant a turbo too

;D

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline 1bigtracker

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2004, 04:30:17 AM »
 Well unless youre just wanting to stay pure Zuk parts theres a whole lot of engine options out there,ya just gotta quit thinking one dimensionaly

like a sammy with a turbo diesel VW in it? am i on the right track? ;D

stu

Offline MUTANT_ZUK

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2004, 05:43:59 AM »
  Yeah Stu thats what Im talking about.If its power youre looking for why not start out  with something bigger in the cubic inch department and then if you need more go for it .If V-6's are what you want domestic engines (Chevy,Ford,etc) are often cheaper,plentiful,and parts are easier to come by.And if 4-bangers are youre thing,its the same just more possibilities.Rember when the first gas crunch hit every car manufacturer that didnt have a 4-banger in its line up quickly put them in production,and theirs lots of them still out there and thats not even taking into account the Nissons,Toyotas,Mazdas,etc.Just a whole world of possibilties. Like your V/W diesel idea ,lots of torque good for crawlin.  Later     M.Z.

Offline steveofrost

• '91 SS JLX 4-Door
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2004, 11:30:15 AM »
O.k. so I'm still having to ask a few questions here, bear with me! A while back there was that link to Ebay with that Tracker with a Crown Vic V8 in it, but obviously not a 4x4. What is the 'best' swap I could look at for my kick? I have the 1.6 TFI (1991). I'm looking to maintain 4x4 capability BUT I NEED MORE POWER CAPTAIN!! There are plenty of doner rigs around here, just which one is the best I'm uncertain.

steveo

Please remember that I'm a beginner at mechanical work, so part of 'the best swap' for me would be how easy it is to put in.

Offline MUTANT_ZUK

« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2004, 01:38:08 PM »
  Stevo man I know where youre coming from,and some of this swap talk and ideas can be a little challenging  mechanically.But in your case take your time,do some research on what you really want speed or torque,what kind of wheeling do you do? If you like rock crawling then you would probably lean more towards torque which is easy to obtain through gearing.If its speed you want and you said you had a 1.6 you can go the super charger ,turbo, nitrous route. Its just that it can get real expensive trying to squeeze a lot of HP out of a small displacement engine when a larger engine will put you there and be more reliable in the long run.And don't let limited mechanical ability slow you down,man nobody was born with a wrench in their hand its a learning experience.Besides this web site is probably one of the best places to learn some good tech stuff, I know I don't mind sharing what I know and Im sure everyone else feels the same. Thats what makes this hobby so much fun.       When it breaks fix it     When theres not enough left to fix start a new one!  Later   M.Z.

Offline tracker8wr

• THE BIGGER THE BETTER
    • my home page
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2004, 09:15:30 PM »
i've read all the posts and everyone wants more power isn't there a site that sells a 4.3 liter swap for trackers and sammis.
4 1/2 body
Coil spacers
cheap but effective
31" LTB Swampers
http://www.geocities.com/race8thwonder01/ http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/769479

Offline Mike71

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2004, 04:10:44 AM »
Dude, If I could get an intact, rolled
XL or GV I would want the whole thing
and transplant the entire driveline, ECU
Tcase complete.

Then I might need to transplant a turbo too

;D

Wild

the entire driveline would be a tinny bit harder since alot of them looked like they were slid sideways into curbs...that would take some peice-mealing BUT could very well be done
623hp kb cobra sold! 100hp kick new DD :P

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2004, 12:30:51 AM »
An engine transplant will cost an arm and a leg but when you start adding up the cost of cams, headers, porting and all the rest it soon builds up. Personally I'd rather pay a little extra and stay all Zuk but thats just cos I'm like that  ;D ;D
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline 1bigtracker

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2004, 06:04:57 AM »
 Yeah Stu thats what Im talking about.If its power youre looking for why not start out  with something bigger in the cubic inch department and then if you need more go for it .If V-6's are what you want domestic engines (Chevy,Ford,etc) are often cheaper,plentiful,and parts are easier to come by.And if 4-bangers are youre thing,its the same just more possibilities.Rember when the first gas crunch hit every car manufacturer that didnt have a 4-banger in its line up quickly put them in production,and theirs lots of them still out there and thats not even taking into account the Nissons,Toyotas,Mazdas,etc.Just a whole world of possibilties. Like your V/W diesel idea ,lots of torque good for crawlin.  Later     M.Z.

i have the engine sitting in my shop, and i'm looking at a sammy with out an engine so it might work out well.  i'm planing a 4 link with airbags to give a oh-so-sweet ride with a set of 31's or 33's. :)

stu
  ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ