Hello Guest

RR YJEater kit in Spring Under

• 14 Replies

Offline Slowyak

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
RR YJEater kit in Spring Under
« on: August 18, 2004, 02:18:27 PM »
Hi,

Anyone out there with any experience of the RR YJEater kit in SPUA configuration? Glenn of RR says it's one of the best things I can do for my Samurai - which I use primarily for travelling along some of Malaysia's rutted and potholed back roads. I am very close to ordering the kit, but would like to hear of some real life experience as my 4X4 guy says that the YJ springs are really too stiff for a light truck such as the Samurai.

Thanks,
Slowyak

Offline idaholwb

• And that's the way the metal crumpled!
Re: RR YJEater kit in Spring Under
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 04:55:06 PM »
 Actually, YJs under a sammy are very squishy, very nice.
97 Sport
265/70-16s
2" lift
2.0 swap
I know...Pretty boring... FOR NOW...

Offline Slowyak

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 08:30:18 PM »
Hi thanks for the reply,

But do I need longer shocks to benefit from the increased flex? Will keeping my old Rancho 9000s mean that I will just hit the bump stops faster using the YJ springs? In short, do I need to do anything with my shocks/shock mounts to really benefit from the YJ conversion? I think most guys out there have gone with the SPOA YJ mod.

Thanks a heap,

Slowyak

Offline tsleong

• I love zuk
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 12:33:48 AM »
I am about to put yj spring on my samy, I am fabricating my own mounting together with reverse shackle. I had not start yet but I will take some pic when I start the project some time in oct. I am located in KL, Malaysia, maybe can get together to share some idea.

Offline DoctorD

• No such thing as too many toys!
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 03:08:29 AM »
Hi slowyak,
                   I am running CJ springs in a spua.  I fabbed a bumpstop mount to keep the same amount of up-travel as stock.  The CJ springs are somewhat stiffer than the YJ springs, (mine are 2.5" lift springs) So I don't hit the bumpstops any sooner than stock.  In your case, I would think btween the springs, and the spring hangers you'll gain a couple of inches of lift.  This would give you a little more upwards travel than stock.  Where you'll need more shock travel is on the downstroke.  Those long soft springs will droop more than the Sammi springs.  I built new upper shock mounts for mine so I could use 12" travel shocks on the front.
It may be beneficial to get the new upper shock mounts from Glenn also.  Then git ya some nice soft hydro shocks for it.

D
In search of new toy

Offline Slowyak

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 01:08:31 PM »
Hi guys,

Thanks a heap for the very useful info. DrD, I will take your advice about putting in front mounts for longer shocks. Any recommendations for shocks? Seems a waste to give up my Rancho in-cab control, so I might stick with Ranchos. Whatddya think?

Mr Leong, I actually live in Klang, and my truck is in Klang. I work in Singapore, but spend at least 10-15 days a month in Klang. Are you the guy with the yellow SJ with the home-made spring over? Sure, we MUST get together - Samurai freaks are as rare as hen's teeth in Malaysia. Mine is the metallic red Jimny - with roof racks for bikes and ALWAYS with a brown dog peeking out from the back!

Hey, this is a great board! Thanks guys, you've all been most helpful.

Slowyak

Offline tsleong

• I love zuk
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2004, 03:25:01 PM »
Slowyak,

I am from Sg buloh. You may not have seen my ride. It is stock now. It is SJ410 white and I have just swap in a 660 turbo fuel injection and sidekick power steering. Next project is SJ413 axle with factory LSD and 5.12 gear. That is together with YJ spring and reverse shackle. I just ordered the fender flare from RRO, cant wait for it to arrive and I will be the first sami in Malaysia to have them.
You had probably seen my brother LJ80 blue without top. It has had some pic in the local magazine and silverstone web site taken from some 4X4 competition. The LJ is also 660 turbo with 5.38 gear
If you are using the sami for normal road only, you can keep the shock and have a limit strap to keep the axle from drooping too much. But if you like to go mudding and rock then you need longer shock.
My email is tsleong67|removethispart|@yahoo.com if you need to contact me

Offline DoctorD

• No such thing as too many toys!
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2004, 03:19:21 AM »
Hey, I guess you could just replace the shocks, and keep your in cab control.  Are they real soft on the lowest setting?  I found out the hard way about too stiff shocks...I actually let a salesman convince me to get the gas shocks over the hydro shocks....the bad thing is, I knew better!  I'm hoping to find a set of YJ springs for mine.   I will do a spring over when I find them.  I have driven a Samurai with YJ springs...it rode nice!

D
In search of new toy

Offline Slowyak

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2004, 01:26:37 PM »
DrD,
I have the old Ranchos with 5 settings, and once I let all the air out, the shocks are real soft. So much so that i get body roll - but once I hit ruts, that's a different story. And on undulating roads, the short wheel-base Sami tends to yo-yo (like my kayak riding short, choppywaves) so I have to up the air pressure again. Guess must be the springs as much as anything else. The new Rancho 9000s have 9 settings, so theoretically you get a wider range. However, the in-cab control gives you the ability to set any pressure range from zero to maximum, so I suspect the new 9 settings Ranchos just give you more options on the manual clicker.
BTW, I am running Ironman springs with 2 inch lift, plus greasable shackles that add another half inch. Glenn of RR tells me it isn't really necessary for me to put in longer shocks, but to spend the money on a dropped pitman arm instead.
Incidentally, I had pretty bad steering wander with the stock Sami shackles - despite putting in a return-to-centre steering stabiliser - until I swapped to thicker and stronger shackles. Arrrr, but the freight from the US to Singapore for the JPEater kit is a killer - US$340 by US Postal air, and US$140 by surface mail! :'(

Best,
Slowyak

Offline tsleong

• I love zuk
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2004, 05:09:41 PM »
Longer shackle will give you steering wander, also wear and tear on the spring bushing, knuckle king pin bearing and loose wheel bearing. The main culprit is the longer shackle, it also changes the castor angle of the wheel.
My opinion is to do a shackle reversal and it will improve the steering a lot.

Offline TomKat

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2004, 11:25:44 AM »
DrD,
 I had pretty bad steering wander with the stock Sami shackles - despite putting in a return-to-centre steering stabiliser - until I swapped to thicker and stronger shackles. Arrrr, but the freight from the US to Singapore for the JPEater kit is a killer - US$340 by US Postal air, and US$140 by surface mail! :'(

Best,
Slowyak
Wow, that shipping is a killer. How about a panhard rod to keep the steering in check. Whan I went yj's with JPeater up front, my steering was awful, put a panhard in and it is very tight now, means the difference of holding the ONLY line or not making an obsacle sometimes when I couldn't steer very well.
88.5 Sammy,YJ's,33's,Yota axles,4.9-1 'case,dents and rust...

Offline Slowyak

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: RR JPEater kit (YJ springs) in Spring Under
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2004, 07:04:44 PM »
Hi TomKat,

I am only going Spring Under, not SPOA, so I might not have that steering wander that you experienced - or were you referring to a SPUA installation?

I believe the Panhard bar by Spider Trax is made only for SPOA mods, and not for Spring Under.

Mr Leong, Glenn of RRO seems dead set against shackle reversals for Samis that are meant to run primarily on road - seems it's dangerous for short wheel-based vehicles! What's the real low-down? Anyone with SR experience with Samis that spend most of the time as a daily driver on concrete and asphalt?

Thanks all,

Slowyak

Offline tsleong

• I love zuk
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2004, 09:50:47 PM »
A lot of article had been written on SR. There are some pro and cons on SR. It is best that you read up as much as possible on those article and then made a informed decision on to go SR or not. I just highlight here of some possible choice that you can made to improve your handling of the sami. There are definately some pro and con. Just do a search on SR in yahoo.

Offline TomKat

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2004, 01:17:53 AM »

I believe the Panhard bar by Spider Trax is made only for SPOA mods, and not for Spring Under.
Yes, That setup is for SPOA, and I am SPOA also, But Jeep YJ's are SPUA with panhards front and rear from the factory. Just adapt one to fit. Mine is from a '99 Grand Cherokee.
88.5 Sammy,YJ's,33's,Yota axles,4.9-1 'case,dents and rust...

Offline jonald

• Corvallis, OR
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2004, 10:03:40 AM »
Anyone with SR experience with Samis that spend most of the time as a daily driver on concrete and asphalt?

I run a Calmini SR and have nothing bad to say about it.  But I wouldn't buy a SR kit from a supplier that states up front that their kit is not for on road use.

The only reason to have SR is for on road (my opinion).  If my rig was dedicated to off road, it would be SPOA for sure.
Jonald
Diesel Samurai on a budget - Sold
97 Sidekick Sport