Hello Guest

Sammy Project

• 34 Replies

Offline TopHeavy96

Re: Sammy Project
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 06:21:32 PM »
Good progress so far,  that thing's gonna look beefy when it's all done!
96' Tracker 4-door, 16v, auto, open front, limited slip rear, Jeff1997's 2" lift with diff spacer, 95' mustang shocks, Calmini axle truss, BFG 30x9.5 mud-terrains on 15x8 "D"-windows, trimmed and banged fenders and bumpers, radio shack CB, Tom Tom GPS, 100w KC lights
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1097549855954

Offline Hillbillydave

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 08:23:02 PM »
Looks good sitting there.  Are you going to flat fender the back then remove the gas tank next?

Thanks guys!
Been trying to make up my mind on what to do with the back. I like the length, and I don't mind cutting the fenders, but I am toying with the idea of turning the rear springs around, which will still give me about 2" of extra wheelbase. Would not have to cut so much of the fender away.

Gas tank is already out. Still have to weld spring perches on my kick rear axle. According to a sammy gear calculator I found, 5.12's with stock case will pull the 34's. At least 5% reduction from stock gearing. Anybody have any real life experience with this setup? I realize that tcase gears are the way to go, They are not in the budget(budget!  :laugh:) right now. I do have a spare case and I am not afraid to use it! I will probably go forward with 1 case to get it mobile, then go from there.

This afternoon, I pulled the center leaf out of the rear springs, gotta see if this will be softer....

More to come....
'89 sidekick 1.3L 3" blue suspension parts, custom strut extensions 31x10.5 Mud Trac's on 10" rims rear fenders trimmed, lincoln locked rear, Rochester Carb on custom adapter
93 Sammy project, SPOA with 34's, 5.12's, welded, in the works

Offline bama jama

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 06:20:40 PM »
Look'n good Dave. I know what you mean about $$$. I'm pretty much at a stand still myself. Later,Bill
Bill,'88.5 Tin Top.Project (just got)                                                                            '91 2wd bought new,1.6 4v, weber,Calmini header,neon seats,TJ flares.

Offline Hillbillydave

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 09:58:13 PM »
Well, It has been a year(wow!) since I posted anything. Life has worked itself in the way, but I am fixin to get back to work on this project, and get it running. Have some new pics, will post them soon.

This afternoon, I experimented on a rim. Cut the center out, welded it back in to give me 1" offset. I am pleased with the result. will post pics of that as well.

Keep watching!!
'89 sidekick 1.3L 3" blue suspension parts, custom strut extensions 31x10.5 Mud Trac's on 10" rims rear fenders trimmed, lincoln locked rear, Rochester Carb on custom adapter

Offline doughboy0379

• Blinker fluid is free so use it........
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 01:09:31 AM »
Questions, are the rodeo springs the same shackle width as the stock Sammy springs?, What year rodeo did u get them off of? Did you ever decide to put them up front too or just in the back?
86 Samurai, SPOA, 3" HD leaf springs, 31/10.5/15 Big-O XT Tires, K&N Air Filter, Doug Thorey Header, more coming when I find the funds :)

Offline Hillbillydave

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 07:53:50 PM »
Doughboy:
Not too sure of the year the springs come from. Mid 90's I guess. They fit in the stock shackles, but they are sorta tight.
I may eventually try them up front, but will probably have to have hydraulic steering due to the offset.
Been a long day, will post pics tomorrow afternoon.

Offline doughboy0379

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2010, 08:07:01 PM »
ok thank you my leaf springs are sagging the wrong way so I am thinking of cheap alternatives but I do need both front and rear lol
86 Samurai, SPOA, 3" HD leaf springs, 31/10.5/15 Big-O XT Tires, K&N Air Filter, Doug Thorey Header, more coming when I find the funds :)

Offline Hillbillydave

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 08:38:05 PM »
Bought the Rodeo springs at the local pullapart for less than $50.00.....

Offline doughboy0379

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2010, 10:38:02 PM »
Awesome I just got a job today so here soon I hope to get new parts under mine

Offline Hillbillydave

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2010, 08:55:53 PM »
Well, I realize I am workin slow, but I'm starting to get somewhere. Got all 4 rims modified Monday, and got one mounted up. One inch offset really widens up the stance. Also got the twin sticks bent where they will work. Using a rubber boot out of a Dodge Ram 50. It is twin stick already, so.... I will try to get some pics posted soon, still got a lot of work to do.

David

Offline Hillbillydave

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2010, 09:14:41 AM »
Got the tires all mounted up this morning. I know I have been promising pics, and they are on the way. Got the mixer, regulator, and tank for the to go propane. Looks like I will be putting another set of Rodeo leaves up front, to stretch the wheel base a little more. I will have to get them mounted before I will know what the wheel base will be, but I am guessing about 10" more than stock. Of course, I will have to go full hydro, but I have an orbital valve and a Chevy PS pump. I have started building me a cylinder, and will have to build a remote reservoir. I will get pics up soon....

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2010, 01:40:50 PM »
What did you get the orbital valve off of?
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Hillbillydave

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2010, 03:58:43 PM »
Orbital valve came off of a forklift, Clark, I think.

Offline Hillbillydave

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2012, 09:24:32 PM »
Boy...it doesn"t seem like over two years since I posted anything to this thread! I havent been able to work on it as much as I have wanted too, but am making some progress. Have got wiring worked out and cranked engine. Getting an Optima battery to go in it, will be mounted in passenger side floorboard/firewall area. I have to mount the crossmember for the third link and the rear shocks and brake lines then the rear should be finished. On the front end am still working on the hydraulic steering setup. I may run a z-link and manual steering till I can get all the hydraulics worked out and or fabbed up.

In short, this build aint done, but I am working on it....stay tuned!

Offline Tan Zuk

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2012, 08:43:42 AM »
Glad you are still at it. These builds always seem to take much longer then anticipated.

BTW This is the 1st build thread I've seen without any pics. Are you planning on posting any so we can see the progress?