Hello Guest

Trying to get more front end travel....

• 17 Replies

Offline derekj

• i'm the canadian guy eh?
Trying to get more front end travel....
« on: April 04, 2009, 05:02:13 PM »
...without going OME struts.

So I had some time the other night and pulled the wheels to see if my idea will work. I had found that struts for the rear of a Chev sedan - Monroe part # 801831. Charts showed that it has 1.5" more travel than a stock strut. I removed the strut and compared the travel of the two struts. When the struts are extended they are the same length with the 2" extension on top of the stock strut. When compressing the struts the stock one stops at the extension and the new one goes down 1.5" more. So if I installed the new struts and didn't change anything else I would only gain more up travel and no more down travel. The only problem is the coil spring won't compress much more past where it does now before it hits the bump stop.

Now comes the issue of trying to make the mount work. As you can see in the pictures the holes don't quite line up and there is some gap in between it.

This can be corrected by modifying the holes and adding a spacer between the mounting tabs.

So if I was to go this route I would need to add a one inch spacer on top of the new strut and lower my front diff at least one inch to make up for the added drop. This should give me almost 2" of more wheel travel in the front end.

I know I could just go out and buy some OME struts but here in Canada I would still be looking at over $400 for two struts. That is not in the budget as I want to get t-case gears before hitting the Rubicon this summer. So this could be a cheap way to add a bit more travel to the front with a little bit of work but not much in parts.

Derek
91 Sidekick jx
2" BDS supension lift
2" BDS body lift
1" Coil spacers
32" TSL's and some other stuff I did And now with a Lockrite!  www.cardomain.com/memberpage/783382

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: Trying to get more front end travel....
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 06:02:15 PM »
That's pretty cool.  Have you tested them on the road yet?
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline rascott

• tread lightly monkeywrench a little
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 08:03:25 PM »
this is really cool.
some kind of shim on either side(x" metal w/holes) and tighten up good sounds like it would work ok.
seriously, where could it go?
this may be the new strut replacement idea.
will you be trimming the bump stops?
'89 kick w/little motor, still got pieces of jeff's pucks, stan's sticks into 4.24:1 tcase, 31x10.5x15's, rear lockrite, kick power steering, some radios(kj6esv), bmw seat, other changes just because. done on the cheap.
suzi the psychic gets me fishing.

Offline MUD CHILD

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 12:05:08 AM »
Keep us posted as to how this works
NO DITCH TO DEEP NO HILL TO STEEP

http://srcustoms.ca/

Offline derekj

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 10:35:44 PM »
I haven't installed the struts yet - I was just testing them to see if they will fit. With my lift coils and spacer in the front I won't get much more up travel out of the suspension so I will leave the bump stops in place for now. I do need to lower my front diff before installing the new struts as they will give me more drop so that is holding up the project for now as I try do decide what I want to there. Zukination sells their drop brackets separately but for the tune of almost $200. That kind of defeats the whole idea of this project - more travel for not alot of $$$.

Derek
91 Sidekick jx
2" BDS supension lift
2" BDS body lift
1" Coil spacers
32" TSL's and some other stuff I did And now with a Lockrite!  www.cardomain.com/memberpage/783382

Offline Lindenmooch

• Just another paranoid android.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 11:34:23 PM »
I haven't installed the struts yet .             That kind of defeats the whole idea of this project - more travel for not alot of $$$.

Derek

Once you figure out...let me know.  I might have you either duplicate the process for me, and I'll pay for parts and labor...or at least I'll know where to go, to shop for parts to do it myself.

As I'm an amateur myself...and broke....I'm completely stumped by the IFS....ugh.  Wish I would have just kept my Tacoma.....

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 03:52:12 AM »
I think Mike Hagen tried this a few years back, the struts were too soft for the front of the Track/Kick. It would be worth sending him a PM and asking him about this.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline derekj

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 09:33:37 AM »
Thanks!

Derek
91 Sidekick jx
2" BDS supension lift
2" BDS body lift
1" Coil spacers

Offline Lindenmooch

• Just another paranoid android.
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 10:25:57 AM »
ooooo....I want a softer ride.  Perfect!

Offline 2_Dogs_Ink

• Yea, whatever....... .
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 01:21:27 AM »
Derek, if you want the OME struts let me know.  I have a few friends that work there (ARB) and the shop is only 1/2 hour away.

Depending on timing, I could even bring them up to whistler (have a couple of condos up their).

Let me know.

BTW, we met at powerfest one year.  I beleive it was your first year.

Jay

Offline Bigzook

• Current owner of the famous Audi Kick
    • Donkey Worx Galleries
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 07:24:10 AM »
Exactly!, if you ever want to buy parts just send one of us Oregon guys the money and we can get them for ya. Should be cheaper that way right?

Offline BRD HNTR

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 08:30:32 AM »
I haven't installed the struts yet - I was just testing them to see if they will fit. With my lift coils and spacer in the front I won't get much more up travel out of the suspension so I will leave the bump stops in place for now. I do need to lower my front diff before installing the new struts as they will give me more drop so that is holding up the project for now as I try do decide what I want to there. Zukination sells their drop brackets separately but for the tune of almost $200. That kind of defeats the whole idea of this project - more travel for not alot of $$$.

Derek

I have pushed my struts to the last 1/4"  of travel with spacers, spring pad mod., taller springs, even taller springs (no spacer), 2" spacer on top of struts.  Finally cut down my tallest springs (1/4" travel left on spacer).  So I was hoping you had found a cheaper longer strut.  It still appears that OME is be$t way to get the two more inches of extended travel.  While "That kind of defeats the whole idea of this project - more travel for not alot of $$$." the struts you have found DO NOT EXTEND TRAVEL, without more modifications, which you could do to your present struts.  With your lifts you are probably only using the extended half of your struts.  And running in the middle of strut range with room for both drop and compression is what would be best. 
When you drop your diff, you will find that you have to lower your skid pan for clearance, and there goes half the height of the lift.  (Still looks and works better, and can run larger tires.) 

All that seems to endless,  I NEED SOME TRAIL TIME.
93 Tracker,XL7 springs & 1" raised spring pads in front with YJ springs in back, home built bumpers rear & front (w/winch), 2" x 4" rock tubes,  ARB front & rear, converted Sami rear to IFS, 33x12.5x15  aluminum rims, roll cage, 2.7L w/5 speed auto.

Offline derekj

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 06:50:02 PM »
The struts I have found have 1.5" more travel than the stock strut. My idea was to use maybe a 1" spacer on top of the new strut and get some more down travel and a bit more up travel. This project has been put on hold as I am getting another truck ready for a 2 day race/rally event next month.

Thanks for the offers guys but I have been waiting for the dollar exchange to get a bit better.

Derek
91 Sidekick jx
2" BDS supension lift
2" BDS body lift
1" Coil spacers

Offline 2_Dogs_Ink

• Yea, whatever....... .
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 09:00:38 PM »
This project has been put on hold as I am getting another truck ready for a 2 day race/rally event next month.

Derek

Oh, please do tell ???

Is this for the ZW challenge here in washington?

Offline derekj

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2009, 10:44:33 PM »
It is for the local 4x4 club. It is a cross country race on one day and then a hill climb/mud bog/all terrain race. The vehicle is a 86 chev s10 sas'd with a 400 hp 350 in it. Quite different from the kick.

Derek

91 Sidekick jx
2" BDS supension lift
2" BDS body lift
1" Coil spacers