Hello Guest

Does anyone pull a pop-up camper?

• 31 Replies

Offline LawDog

• Lakeview Motor Sports' Makin it Hert! Tell u whut!
    • Emerling Chevrolet
Re: Does anyone pull a pop-up camper?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2004, 03:26:41 AM »
rinoman that's the most rediculously stupid thing I've ever seen.  I've seen that pic before, but I thought you did it as a joke.  I pull my Sammi with my Trailblazer.  Granted my trailer weighs about twice as much as yours and I was going through the hills of PA, but what you have there is way too much for a Trackkick to go any further than a local run.  It's a cool, cool pic and we flat tow here at LMS with the real_red_wagon when my TBlaz isn't around, but just local runs.  Don't show that pic to keith and say "yeah, knock yourself out man" when he might be taking off across the state.  Yeah he said he was staying in IL,  but IL is a big state.  With supplies and people in the car, he'll ruin his Zuk or get someone hurt whether his water tank is full or NOT!
 Keith, unless you're going just across town, make sure there's nothing but a couple sleeping bags and like one other adult and one kid in the car.  Get you're supplies after you get there.  Make a test run first.  See how the car responds.
 That teardrop is an awesome idea james.  I was considering getting one of those Thule cargo bins that mount to a receiver for my Sammi, so I can put my tent and stuff in it, but now you've got me thinkin.  too bad my Sammi can't even tow itself.  I gotta get a 1.6!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2004, 03:33:34 AM by LawDog »
"I'm the Law 'round here" said the Duckshirt.

Get a Zuk, Get it dirty, Git-R-Done!!

At Lakeview Motor Sports we specialize in rediculousness, hackdome, and wasting your time.

Offline TN_Tracker

• TN Tracker's Suzuki Space
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2004, 04:23:53 AM »
I'll be making a teardrop trailer to haul around behind the Sunrunner. They are pretty light...anywhere from 500-1000lbs  depending on size and materials used. I'll have it lifted a bit and run the same tires as the Sunrunner so I wont have to worry about a spare for the trailer.  Plus if rotating them in with the other tires they will last quite a while :) The other benefit would be that I can take it offroad to go camping.

I've thought of the same thing. An off-road teardrop would be cool. 8)

I'm a Proud Member of Team BlueRibbon Coalition & Tread Lightly, are you?

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2004, 09:35:45 AM »
rinoman that's the most rediculously stupid thing I've ever seen.  I've seen that pic before, but I thought you did it as a joke.  I pull my Sammi with my Trailblazer.  Granted my trailer weighs about twice as much as yours and I was going through the hills of PA, but what you have there is way too much for a Trackkick to go any further than a local run.

Actually I towed it for about 25miles, there were a few hills but no mountains. I never recommended anyone else towed anything else of a similar weight, I did point out that it wasn't legal. My point was that it can tow it and it towed it pretty well. I hired that trailer and it was the only one I could get at short notice, it got me out of a hole. I now have a much lighter trailer and the 410 is stripped down. My Suzuki handbook states that I can tow 1450kg braked, which is 3200 lbs. I've never had a problem with that kind of weight, I would imagine Suzuki left themselves a fair margin of reserve when they worked out that figure so they wouldn't get sued. Keith should be OK with only 1700lbs.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

spinaltap

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2004, 10:08:59 AM »
I've towed a motorcycle in an enclosed trailer for a few hundred miles at a time. Total weight was probably 1400lbs.  That put quite a strain on my Sunrunner, especially in a head wind. Also under heavy braking it was easy to lock up all 4 tires. Keith is running 235s on his vehicle so his is already going to be getting a loss of power due to final gearing being higher and his brakes will also be working harder due to the larger tires. Keith, you'll definitely want to take it easy and get used to all that extra weight as is will affect all aspects of how your vehicle drives.

Offline Mike71

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2004, 10:49:04 AM »
rinoman that's the most rediculously stupid thing I've ever seen.  I've seen that pic before, but I thought you did it as a joke.  I pull my Sammi with my Trailblazer.  Granted my trailer weighs about twice as much as yours and I was going through the hills of PA, but what you have there is way too much for a Trackkick to go any further than a local run.  It's a cool, cool pic and we flat tow here at LMS with the real_red_wagon when my TBlaz isn't around, but just local runs.  Don't show that pic to keith and say "yeah, knock yourself out man" when he might be taking off across the state.  Yeah he said he was staying in IL,  but IL is a big state.  With supplies and people in the car, he'll ruin his Zuk or get someone hurt whether his water tank is full or NOT!
 Keith, unless you're going just across town, make sure there's nothing but a couple sleeping bags and like one other adult and one kid in the car.  Get you're supplies after you get there.  Make a test run first.  See how the car responds.
 That teardrop is an awesome idea james.  I was considering getting one of those Thule cargo bins that mount to a receiver for my Sammi, so I can put my tent and stuff in it, but now you've got me thinkin.  too bad my Sammi can't even tow itself.  I gotta get a 1.6!

calm down there son..it may not be the safest thing in the world but u dont need to go climbing on a sopbox like that..u went a tid overboard there remember someday u may need someone to pull u out and it may be him..just be nice please
623hp kb cobra sold! 100hp kick new DD :P

Offline LawDog

• Emerling Chevrolet
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2004, 08:21:14 AM »
Yep I see, 25 miles is not that much of a problem.  I just didn't want keith to get the impression that he could take off for a 200 mi. trip with 2000+ lbs behind his Zuk because rhino made it 25.
 Oh and usually real red sammi or real red wagon pull me out when I get in over my head(which is alot) ;D  

At Lakeview Motor Sports we specialize in rediculousness, hackdome, and wasting your time.

Offline Mike71

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2004, 08:33:39 AM »
Yep I see, 25 miles is not that much of a problem.  I just didn't want keith to get the impression that he could take off for a 200 mi. trip with 2000+ lbs behind his Zuk because rhino made it 25.
 Oh and usually real red sammi or real red wagon pull me out when I get in over my head(which is alot) ;D  

it was a figure of speach..obviously lost on you
623hp kb cobra sold! 100hp kick new DD :P

Offline LawDog

• Emerling Chevrolet
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2004, 07:57:14 PM »
Figure of speech mike?  Not much is lost on me(except usually the blatantly obvious ;D) Any special occasion for taking a shot at me, or just bored?

Offline greaseguncutts

• Turn left. NO YOUR OTHER LEFT. Ok whos got a winch
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2004, 06:07:40 PM »
well when I go out in mu Zuk I go tenting. I have made a custom luggage rack that folds out of the back of the zuk abouve the spare. it is attached to an aditional stock rolbar that was custom installed by myself and a friend. The rack holds my cooler, tent, sleeping bags, stove,clothes, and what ever else Misc. stuff you might think of having for a 3-4 day weekend.  I made the rack because I have to have the rear seat in the vehicle at all times for my Children. I do not dare go on a run or camping trip with out the boys.   Anyways I can carry enough food and supplies for the 3 of us for the whole weekend and carry it all while driving the trails.

Just on the trail   Big Bear CA

At Home just after instalation of rack

Big Bear with cooler  All Camp gear is set up already.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 06:23:50 PM by greaseguncutts »
DC 126*925*11205
If you are on Nextel Beep Me.
Michael Cutts

Offline keith

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2004, 03:01:02 AM »
After pulling my camper with my Montero Sport I think the Tracker would be seriously underpowered for towing it.  The Montero has a 3.5 v6 and I could tell there was a lot more weight back there with it.  If I do use the Tracker it will be within 50 miles from home, but not sure if I will or not.

Offline Road_Dog

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2004, 03:42:40 AM »

My Suzuki handbook states that I can tow 1450kg braked, which is 3200 lbs. I've never had a problem with that kind of weight, I would imagine Suzuki left themselves a fair margin of reserve when they worked out that figure so they wouldn't get sued. Keith should be OK with only 1700lbs.

I call bs. A new Vitara with the 2.5L, 165hp V6 has a towing capacity of 680Kg ( http://www.suzuki.ca/en/auto/specs.cfm?modelcode=vit4).

That's a big popup if it weighs 1700 pounds. What really matters is your GCVW (gross combined vehicle weight) -- the car, trailer, people, and gear. It's easy to exceed that. It should be on a sticker on a door frame.

Offline paps133

• make your own road..
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2004, 04:53:38 AM »
the most i have ever pulled with my 2door tracker is 2 yards of soil, one yard of soil is about 1900 pounds. the trailer is single axel and measures 6 x12 with 15inch wheels. It takes it a bit to get it going by it works out.
what i did for the truck to be able to hold more weigh is, i put in a set of extra helper coils, they sell them at pricess auto, for like 25 bucks.

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2004, 07:08:19 AM »

I call bs. A new Vitara with the 2.5L, 165hp V6 has a towing capacity of 680Kg ( http://www.suzuki.ca/en/auto/specs.cfm?modelcode=vit4).

No GCVW specified only GVWR which only includes the nose weight of the trailer. The link you posted doesn't work for me, but Suzuki UKs site gives the max towing weight for a 3dr 1.6 as 1600kg, though I'm sure thats a typo on the unbraked weight

http://www.suzuki4.co.uk/gv2000_html/gv3_framset.html
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 07:15:03 AM by Rhinoman »
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline MB

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2004, 11:07:55 AM »
Well the wife and I have one any Tackick, Sami, Pinto or whatever can pull. This things total weight is 200lbs empty. It's big nuff for the wife and I, our kids use tents.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 11:22:48 AM by MB »

Offline Road_Dog

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2004, 11:57:51 AM »

No GCVW specified only GVWR which only includes the nose weight of the trailer. The link you posted doesn't work for me, but Suzuki UKs site gives the max towing weight for a 3dr 1.6 as 1600kg, though I'm sure thats a typo on the unbraked weight

http://www.suzuki4.co.uk/gv2000_html/gv3_framset.html

Interesting. Different rules for different countries. I would be leary of pulling 1,600Kg with a vehicle so small.

They haven't sold the 1.6 I4 for years. Here it's 2L I4 or 2.5L V6. I wish they sold a diesel. You don't need brakes on a trailer until it's GVW is over 1,400 or 2,800 Kg (I forget which).