Hello Guest

Basic SPOA on a LWB SJ-413 using stock parts

• 35 Replies

Offline khan_sultan

Basic SPOA on a LWB SJ-413 using stock parts
« on: March 14, 2009, 09:27:03 PM »
Friends,

The work has started today and here is the progress report.

Only some 25% of the work has been done till now and only the front axle has been touched till now.

Dis assembly in progress

The front propeller shaft comes out

Notice the SPUA setup here.

The front diff housing etc come off.

The spring perches are chiseled off

Some grinding work going on -- cutting damper bolts from plates

SPOA begins here.

U-Botls being put in place

This is how it looks till now:

Lots and lots of work still to be done. Now there is no turning back
Suzuki Gyspy 1.3 L Mpfi | Lockrite Lockers | 4.16 T-Case | SPoA | Traction Bar | Maxxis 8080 Trepador |

Offline norcalwreckchaser

• www.norcalwreckchasers.ning.com
Re: Basic SPOA on a LWB SJ-413 using stock parts
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 01:06:10 AM »
Camha! looks good, too late to turn back now indeed.
86' Samurai, 5" spua lift, rear missing links, 4.57 gears, 4 to 1 Transfer Case, Lockrights F/R, ARB Front bumper, Doug Thorley Header, Rock Rails, GM alt. swap and other Misc. goodies.
Sold 7/10 :(

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 12:15:32 PM »
Nice looking work!  :)

I would see about getting some pipe with the same interior diameter as your axle tubing and build a brace that wraps around your axle on the rear.  This will stop your SPOA mounts from pealing back if you don't have a traction bar.  It might not be needed, but it doesn't hurt to do it now.  :)
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline khan_sultan

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 08:00:53 AM »
....I would see about getting some pipe with the same interior diameter as your axle tubing and build a brace that wraps around your axle on the rear.  This will stop your SPOA mounts from pealing back if you don't have a traction bar.  It might not be needed, but it doesn't hurt to do it now.  :)

I would go in for a Traction bar in the next few weeks. (Do share some thread pointers where people have done the traction bar). The next few weeks will be just 'on road'/street driving and just some very  very mild off-roading. Only later I will take the rig out for wheeling.

BTW, work is going on. here is how the zuk looks right now:

A comparison between how it looked before and now

Still lots and lots of small work left. Steering, Brake lines, etc.

Cheers,
Suzuki Gyspy 1.3 L Mpfi | Lockrite Lockers | 4.16 T-Case | SPoA | Traction Bar | Maxxis 8080 Trepador |

Offline khan_sultan

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 07:18:41 AM »
A question about DS spacers:

With the Zuk on hoists & the axles hanging fully, the DS is still in there comfortably.

On road the splines are showing just <1". That means that 2.5" of splines are still in there. Should I go in for spacers?

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 10:09:21 AM »
If that is all the more spacing you are seeing I wouldn't bother with spacers.  I didn't run them on my SPOA until I swapped the rear spring up front to extend the wheelbase and soften up the ride.

If you are worried about it use a jack to lift your tires up one at a time and check your flex, then use one to lift the body up on the front end and rear end to check droop with no weight on the axles.  That should show you if the driveshaft is close to falling out.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 10:01:45 PM by Drone637 »
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline khan_sultan

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 09:13:08 PM »
Here are few more pics of the Zuk. Had gone for a mini trail expedition this Sunday with few friends who have stock zuks.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 10:34:38 PM »
Yours sits a bit higher now.  :D

How did it handle?  I like the cut down front bumper.

If you have bump shteer you can find an early 80's 200, 300, and 400 series Mercedes for the steering arms. 82-84 supposedly work best.  Then you can put in a high steer kit.  :D

Acks Faq had a couple of good write ups if you do a search for Mercedes
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline khan_sultan

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 08:56:15 AM »
It handled very nicely. The steering has no issues right now. getting mercedes arms would be next to impossible here.

BTW, I did blow 2 of my t-case mounts. need to get those beefed up.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 09:31:54 AM »
Yea, that will happen.  :)

Just get some polyurethane, a long bolt and some nuts and good sized washers/fender washers.  Cut the polyurethane to the right width to match the stock spacer along with a couple of bushings for each side of the mount, then drill the blocks out with the correct size for your replacement bolt.  The fender washers will stop the bolts from pulling through the poly, that should keep everything in place.
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline khan_sultan

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 09:35:52 PM »
Yea, that will happen.  :)

Just get some polyurethane, a long bolt and some nuts and good sized washers/fender washers.  Cut the polyurethane to the right width to match the stock spacer along with a couple of bushings for each side of the mount, then drill the blocks out with the correct size for your replacement bolt.  The fender washers will stop the bolts from pulling through the poly, that should keep everything in place.

yes, that's what I have planned for. PU blocks are available very easily & cheap here. Will get it done soon.

Offline khan_sultan

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 09:18:30 AM »
A Quick question:

If I have to go for DS spacers (~1 Inch) on both front & rear, then what end is the best place to put the spacer? and WHY?

Should the spacer be at the axle end or at the t-case end?

Should that be the case for both front & rear or different?

I will be getting spacers ready and wanted this input before putting in the spacers.

Offline mrhawk

• I Love ZUKS
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 09:26:14 AM »
T-case end for best clearance.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 10:05:42 AM »
I put mine on the diff end on the front due to the larger bolts that are used due to the Tracker Differentials.  I would do so on the rear as well, as I have the drum break on the back of the transfer case and studs instead of bolts.

But if both ends were equal I would follow mrhawk's advice and go with the t-case for clearance.  Make sure you need the spacers and they are the right size, if they are too long you will end up damaging your t-case or ripping mounts off when your drive line collapses and the weight smashes into your t-case on compression.
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline khan_sultan

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 11:52:44 PM »
Got the spacers out in -- both the front & rear DS.

Each spacer is .75" each and I have out them on the axle side.

I feel there is a marked difference in the driveline now. It is more tighter now and previously there was some sloppiness. It feels more torquey now.

Is that ok?