Hello Guest

soft brake pedal

• 5 Replies

soft brake pedal
« on: March 14, 2009, 11:36:12 AM »
My brake pedal goes to the floor for the first two pumps then it hardens up. I bled the brakes a couple times but there is no air coming out any more. I looked underneath and checked all the lines and the previous owner bypassed the rear proportioning valve could this be the problem.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: soft brake pedal
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 02:53:38 PM »
It sounds like you might have an adjustment issue.  Have you checked your rear drums to make sure the brakes are adjusted?

How did he bypass the proportioning valve?
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 03:29:25 PM »
There's a particular order the breaks must be bled in - did you follow that procedure? Can you take a pic of this bypass?
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 04:05:14 PM »
It sounds like you might have an adjustment issue.  Have you checked your rear drums to make sure the brakes are adjusted?

How did he bypass the proportioning valve?
At the front passenger side where the two lines from the master cylinder go into he only ran one line to the back and capped off the other line that would run to the back. And the line that does go to the back he ran it straight to the rear axle so he bypassed the rear proportioning valve. The lines to the front axle are ok they run through the front proportioning valve. I will check the rear drums thanks for the tip.

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 04:07:57 PM »
There's a particular order the breaks must be bled in - did you follow that procedure? Can you take a pic of this bypass?

Sorry I can't get any pics right now. What is the correct order to bleed the brakes. All i have are the front two caliper bleeders and the one on the rear because he bypassed the rear proportioning valve where the fourth bleeder is. 

Offline Zuken

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 11:45:37 PM »
You always need to bleed the longest line first and then the second longest line next, etc.  Otherwise you will often end up with air still in the lines and a soft pedal.   Bleed plenty of fluid out since it often gets dirty and has rust and water in the cylinders.   Fluid is cheap compared to the time that you spend messing around bleeding them.   BTW -  I have learned the hard way to make certain my reservoir is at the full mark when wheelin'   I was in Moab last year with a reservoir at nearly the add level and with the steep climbs and descents I sucked in some air and got soft brakes.  Not a good thing! 
88 Samiurai, SPOA 6 inch lift, 3.5" Bonz Shackles, Rear EZ lockers, 4.16 gears, Calmini OTS steering, 31" Truxus tires, Tri Mil header, Cherry Bomb, 2 " exhaust, RRO Front Bumper, extended shocks and shock mounts, Rock Biters, TT skid plate