Hello Guest

MINI SPOOL QUESTION

• 20 Replies

Offline machz

MINI SPOOL QUESTION
« on: March 12, 2009, 02:28:20 PM »
i have a 1998 chevrolet tracker and i'm in the process of buy a mini spool .. and i'm wondering how big is the ring gear is it a 8.5 10 bolt ? or ?  and how many splines are on my axel? thanks .
 what do you guys thinks of a mini spool?

Offline RazBarlow

• It's Barney !
Re: MINI SPOOL QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 02:36:53 PM »
That is a SWEET looking tracker. Did you repaint that ? It isn't the stock color is it ?
I have the same questions about a locker , but I live in Iowa and I question the functionability in the winter .
Raz

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 02:37:20 PM »
Just pick up the mini-spool from Trail Tough or Low Range.  Works great, easy to install.  Will make your tires chirp a bit when driving around in parking lots.  :)

I wouldn't recommend it for a DD, but nice and cheap way to lock up a trail rig.

96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 03:27:29 PM »
Pick any two: Economical, Predictable, Easy on Tires & Axles
(you don't get all three)

Selectable Locker:
* 100% predictable
* Safest on axles if you know how to use it
* May not work on trail if the air lines, or air pump fails

Auto Locker:
* Cheaper than the selectable locker
* Locks up when you need it
* Usually (key word) unlocks when you don't need it
* Can unlock / lock in slick road conditions causing some level of unpredictability (this is easy for some people to get around, and harder for others)
* Makes rackety snap ping sounds in tight (parking lot) turns
* Get a spare set of shear pins - you might need them on-trail

Spool:
* Works all the time
* You can loose control in slick conditions if you have a lead foot, but it's very predictable, and easy to avoid this behavior. And, easy to power slide if you're into that kind of thing.
* Will eat tires quicker (but still much slower than a full sized truck with open diffs on the same tires. Weight advantage FTW), and passably axles if you have a lead foot
* Will buck & squeal tires in more turns than auto locker
* Solid, and the most reliable (yeah, I said it) of all the lockers
* Cheap

I sure wish Aussie lockers made a locker for Suzuki. I never really notice them in my toy axles (this is a good thing, it means they're locked or unlocked when they're supposed to be, and don't make noises in turns).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 06:58:54 PM by Jeremiah »
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline machz

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 04:51:13 PM »
thanks.. its the stock color not too many around.. i live in canada and its hard to find tracker parts down here i can have then from usa no prob but the shipping is twice the price of the parts ... so if i could find out the size of my rear end (crown and pinion) and my axel spline i could get one down here!! it sucks being in canada cant get parts .lol

Offline Lindenmooch

• Just another paranoid android.
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 06:37:34 PM »
Silly canadians.  Nice tracker.  =)

I like the mini spool...it's cute...super cheap...and I love to powerslide.   Gotta have a locked rear for sideways shenanigans.   How do you install a mini spool?  Could be my next upgrade.....hmm....would surely make for some fun 2 wheeling this spring.  No?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 01:43:53 AM by Lindenmooch »

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 01:00:08 PM »
http://geckocycles.com/sammy_lock_right_install.htm

Similar to this, only the mini-spool is much easier to install.

I just tossed it in, setup the gears by hand, and everything has worked fine.  :)
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Amilla

• Toyota running gear was made for a samurai!
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 10:32:22 AM »
I would just go with a mini spool over a lock rite, in my opinion a lock rite is one hell of a jumpy ride that is doing just as much damage to tires as a spool.  It seems to me like a much better deal to buy a spool over the lock rite.

I agree with Jeremiah 100%, Aussie lockers kick ass if only they made them for samurais.

Amilla
88 Samurai, Sprung Up, Geared Down, Locked,With Yotas.

Offline TrakJD

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 08:29:15 PM »
I have one installed in my samurai, I drive it everyday to work.  Chirps and bucks when you make a sharp turn.  No problems so far. 

Offline zuk4life

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 11:30:52 PM »
ring gears are the same size and spline count is 26 in the rear. spool is good off road, but kinda sucks on the street when turning. I had the trail tough spool on one of my samurai's with hybrid rear end, and recently removed it from my tracker. Tracker did do nice drifts in the rain...Canada cool, customs not cool.

Offline Dimitros

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 05:02:21 AM »
Another maybe stupid question about mini spool. I have both axles run free. In which axle front or rear should I first install mini spool? As my sammi is 75% DD (driving on 2WD onroad) then I gues mini spool should be on front axle, is it?

Added 1 hour later...

Oops! Just read on LowRangeOffRoad that mini spool can be installed only in the rear axle. Unfair. Why can't I put in front?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 09:13:56 AM by Dimitros »
95 Samurai, 1.3, high comp.pistons, ported/grinded head, 1.6 valves, bored intake, Solex carb, K&N air, MSD Coil-Blaster+MSD 8.5 wires+Denso Iridium IW16 plugs, Calmini Tri-Y heder, Cherry-Bomb+Bosal custom exhaust, GRS II 4.89 T-case, 3.92:1 R&Ps, Calmini 3.5" susp., 30" BFG ATs, AVM 538 hubs...

Offline Lindenmooch

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 06:32:37 AM »
omfg!  I want a mini spool so $#!ing badly!  I can't #%$king stand it!   I hate getting caught with my pants down on off-camber areas, or on a particularly rocky area.....or muddy...ugh!

Sadly...I can't afford one.    :'(

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 12:01:16 PM »
Different carrier up front.  You don't want it there anyway, you have to drive with one hub unlocked in order to turn.  Plus it would probably destroy your aluminum front end.  :)

For the front end you can either spend the money on the Trail Tough front locker with carrier or you have to switch to a steel front diff.

LIndenmooch:  You could try Lincoln Locking it.  If it doesn't work, you can always spend the money on a mini-spool.  :P
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 12:33:38 PM »
Isn't there a way to fill the carrier with lead too  ??? Supposedly, if you don't like it, you can melt the lead back out...
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline Lindenmooch

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 12:35:09 PM »
Um...for what a mini spool costs....I'd rather not cut corners or weld anything....

I'll just bitch and moan until I actually buy a mini spool.   :P