Hello Guest

86 samurai will not start

• 5 Replies

Offline wyo-hunter

86 samurai will not start
« on: March 07, 2009, 05:10:28 PM »
I have an 86 samurai , and I recently installed a weber carb on it because the stock Hitachi was only getting about 13 mpg. While I was trying to get it to run with this, it quit running altogether. I have no spark at all. New coil, tested the ignition module a' la Chiltons manual, still nothing. Maybe ECM problem? Any ideas?
"Those who will not be governed by God, will be ruled by tyrants."  William Penn

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
Re: 86 samurai will not start
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 05:17:38 PM »
I have an 86 samurai , and I recently installed a weber carb on it because the stock Hitachi was only getting about 13 mpg. While I was trying to get it to run with this, it quit running altogether. I have no spark at all. New coil, tested the ignition module a' la Chiltons manual, still nothing. Maybe ECM problem? Any ideas?

Does your rotor spin on the distributor when you crank the engine?

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline wyo-hunter

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 07:59:43 PM »
Yes, in order to test the module I had to take the distributor out.  I put the engine at TDC #1, re-installed the distributor, then rotated the engine to make sure the distributor rotor was turning.  It was.  It doesn't seem to be 180* off either, since I'm not getting any spark at all.  I'm holding the spark-plug against the block while cranking the engine, no visible spark in the plug gap.  The plugs are new, and it ran a few days ago with the new plugs.

I am getting fuel, I pulled the plugs just a while ago and they had some gas on them. 
"Those who will not be governed by God, will be ruled by tyrants."  William Penn

Offline wyo-hunter

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 08:25:14 PM »
One other thing I forgot.  I washed the under-carriage the other day.  It ran rough for a while after that, but got me home.  Now it won't even fire.  ???

Offline norcalwreckchaser

• www.norcalwreckchasers.ning.com
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 12:23:13 AM »
HHHMMM?? ??? This may sound crazy but, could it be your starter is stuck? I had a problem with a rebuilt starter not fully disengaging from the flywheel. Try rocking the vehicle in gear, I did so and was able to free up the starter gear from the flywheel, worth a shot.

BTW nice avatar, I too am a life member.

Norcal
86' Samurai, 5" spua lift, rear missing links, 4.57 gears, 4 to 1 Transfer Case, Lockrights F/R, ARB Front bumper, Doug Thorley Header, Rock Rails, GM alt. swap and other Misc. goodies.
Sold 7/10 :(

Offline wyo-hunter

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 02:04:20 PM »
success !! I replaced the fuse in the ignition circuit with an old one that was coroded enough that it didn't make contact. When I used a new one, it fired right up. One of those dumb things.