Hello Guest

motor swap?

• 7 Replies

motor swap?
« on: March 04, 2009, 09:05:33 PM »
Hey nice forum you all have here and lots of info. I have been searching for hours now and believe I have found my answers but I will throw this out at you all.

I have 6 throttle body 2 door model tracker/sidekick's. All in different stages of rusting out. So they are all roughly 90 91 92 models. 8 valve 1.6 right? 

I just got a phone call today about a 95 2 door I was looking at with the motor gone. The body and chassis are clean, no rust. Well u know there might be some hiding but its a lot cleaner than any other one I have. I believe from what I have read that its a 1.6 16 valve because of the year, multiport fuel injection and different exhaust ports. Would this be right so far?

The owner is selling because a local garage has replaced the engine and the engine they put in destroyed itself in minutes and the owner killed the first engine beyond rebuildable. They have been searching for a couple months now locally and can't find a replacement motor.

So what I have learned is that the trannys are the same, and I gathered that it would bolt up from examining the bell housings and motor mounts. But I guess I have to change the whole wiring harness, computer and header so far. Do the fuel pump need to be changed? In one thread I read that they changed the dash aswell, do I need to do this or is it all plug and play?

Thxs in advance. I wanna build this rig to DD for awhile and eventully a fully capable offroad machine I can tow to the trail behind my 78 K5 Blazer.

Cyril

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: motor swap?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 11:02:50 PM »
Short story, not worth the time.  Long story, you have the parts and it might be worth the time.  :)

It is the 16v, so you are going to have to swap your tank, cluster and computer.  But the dash didn't really see a major revision until 96 when they switched to the ODBCII.  I don't know how much of the wiring you are going to need to swap over, but probably most of it.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 11:16:04 AM »
I am waiting to hear back from the owner. I think I am gonna pick it up. Plus I know for a set of yota axles. I do have a 81 diesel Datsun 2wd 5 speed that may fit in there.

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 09:03:06 AM »
Diesels are sweet, but it might be difficult to adapt it to 4wd if it's 2wd.
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 04:31:51 PM »
I figures a Samuri divorced transfer case mounted to the diesel would work. Any input.

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 05:46:42 PM »
As long as you know how to make (or where to go to get) custom one-off adapters for your jack shaft if that becomes necessary... then go for it.
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 06:21:33 AM »
Still waiting for the owner to call me. Now that I wants it. All the custom stuff is pretty easy. My father owns and operates a fully functional welding and fab shop. Watch my luck dude dont wanna get rid of it now.

Offline 91zukisas

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 06:41:48 AM »
I have a diesel (vw 1.6 out of an old vanagon) I was thinking about putting in my kick.
Here are some links that might help if your thinking about swapping for a diesel
http://www.rocky-road.com/diesel.html
http://www.keltecsystems.com/hardware/suzuki.html
http://www.acmeadapters.com/index.php?sound=Y

There are some trackers running the 1.6 turbo diesel, that are lifted and saying they are getting 36-38 mpg
91 2door Sidekick yota Axels  SAS Kit, header and custom intake, etc
04 Kia Sorrento, Limited slip, 31X10.50 2" lift
89 Sammy Tintop-new project :D
95 TSI, EVO 3 16g turbo swap, front mount, 20lbs boost