Hello Guest

Blown struts

• 47 Replies

Offline blacktrack99

Re: Blown struts
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2009, 08:02:47 AM »
Those ARE OME's I've been blowing (w/ OME coils and a 1.5" spacer).  Haven't put the strut spacer on yet.  Trying to decide which way to go w/ the suspension.  I've been kicking around the idea of just biting the bullet and buying a Calmini instead of this Frankenstein nickel and diming me.  I'll keep everyone posted.  If I go blue, there will be some nice OME coils listed for sale.

Offline cj

• I drive a really big ATV
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2009, 02:36:23 PM »
I know Mike Hagen ran OME struts and limit straps way back when it was still basically a Calmini 3"suspension. Maybe check with him how he did it as he doesn't seem to baby his rigs too much  ;)

Offline crikeymike

• Local to Western Washington?? Visit WAZUKS.com
    • http://www.wazuks.com
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2009, 07:22:55 PM »
I blew a front passenger strut just over a month ago.  Honestly, I thought I bottomed it out.  I haven't had the time to check out the suspension cycle yet and see if that was possible.  I even caught the huge bump on video, which is the one that I think did the strut in.

With a strut topping out, it just doesn't seem like there's enough weight in the wheel, tire, and control arm and that to actually screw up the struts so easily.  It's really strange because the strut is the limiting down travel factor for these, so I can understand all of the frustration with installing a limiting strap.

(Bentparts, I've had the same exact Toyota idea myself)
1993 4-door Sidekick
3" hybrid Calmini/OME lift, 2" B/L, Rear air locker
Shrockworks bar & sliders, Full skid plates
4.24:1 t-case
 WAZUKS member - visit http://www.wazuks.com

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2009, 04:00:52 AM »
Hey Crikeymike, frustration leads to drastic measures! I'm not quite ready to give up on my Tracker just yet. The wife and I went out for a woods run last weekend and I must admit, the new struts with strut spacers did do their job. Ride quality is fine, and on the road it's amazingly smooth. Still trying to work out a limiting strap, just haven't had the time to mess with it. And I have a new "clunking" sound to deal with too. It never ends does it?
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline crikeymike

• Local to Western Washington?? Visit WAZUKS.com
    • http://www.wazuks.com
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2009, 03:54:46 PM »
It only ends when you switch to the next vehicle and inherit all of its problems.
1993 4-door Sidekick
3" hybrid Calmini/OME lift, 2" B/L, Rear air locker
Shrockworks bar & sliders, Full skid plates
4.24:1 t-case
 WAZUKS member - visit http://www.wazuks.com

Offline bentparts

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2009, 12:54:46 PM »
It only ends when you switch to the next vehicle and inherit all of its problems.
Aint that the truth! I think I found my mysterious " clunking," loose rear skid plate. Working on the limiters again, going to go from the top strut mount to the control arm directly. It means welding a tab on the a arm, but that's no biggie. I'll post photo's when fini.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2009, 04:12:47 PM »
Easy fix.  :)

Keep us updated on the strap, it will be interesting to see what you come up with.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline MUD CHILD

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2009, 12:43:53 AM »
Good info
NO DITCH TO DEEP NO HILL TO STEEP

http://srcustoms.ca/

Offline bentparts

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2009, 05:15:30 AM »
OK, the latest scenerio is this: I finally found a way and place to mount the limiting straps safely and effectively. I'm now just waiting on my straps, quad wrap 19", to come ups, and that'll be that. Now that I've got my photo program working ( somewhat ) again, I should be able to post a photo when finished.

Offline dustybadlands

• dustybadlands treeslammer
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2009, 10:11:45 PM »
Here's mine, I know, you saw this Mike, I just wanna show off.  ;)
"If nuthin' changes, nuthin changes. Do what ya  always did, get what ya  always got !"

Offline bentparts

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2009, 03:39:45 PM »
The only thing I'd be concerned about with that setup is the loops in the eye bolts spreading apart under load, or after hammering on them for a bit.  I'd probably weld the ends shut just to be safe. The adjustable eye bolt length will probably come in handy if (and probably when) the strap stretches. The Calmini a arm lends itself well to mounting the lower portion of the strap, looks like all you had to do was drill a mounting hole for the bolt. The stock a arm is a box section, so drilling through it is possible, but not really a good idea. The metal is pretty thin, and would probably crush or wallow out eventually. I made a stepped weld on mount that will have provisions for several mounting points, to accommodate any stretching of the strap down the road. Still waiting on the straps. That's what I get for going internet cheap.

Offline dustybadlands

• dustybadlands treeslammer
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2009, 09:30:02 PM »
yeah I thawt the same thing too, and maybe you can see the weld in this pic.

I assumed it was the bump stop rubbing on the spring that was making that deep creeking sound ("croaking"), In fact it's the strut. maybe it's the inner seals extended into previosly unworn space. Better get my order into OME! Any preferred vendors?
"If nuthin' changes, nuthin changes. Do what ya  always did, get what ya  always got !"

Offline mrhawk

• I Love ZUKS
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2009, 01:37:44 AM »
I assumed it was the bump stop rubbing on the spring that was making that deep creeking sound ("croaking"), In fact it's the strut. maybe it's the inner seals extended into previosly unworn space.
Oh crap, I have that same sound, I was also thinking it was the spring rubbing the bump stop. Guessing I'm also about to do some strut shopping.

Offline bentparts

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2009, 04:35:59 AM »
I shoulda know you wouldn't let a small thing like that slip past ya Dusty! Yeah, mine made that "creaking, groaning"  sound just before they let go! I'd go with Trail Tough for the OME struts. They have them in stock, and ship quick. I'm STILL waiting on a refund , for over a month, from Rocky Road, for the OME struts I ordered, then found out they were out of stock, and would be for 6 to 8 weeks! They kept my $ though~!  Don't reccomend them. OME's are pricey, but well worth it. It definitely finishes the lift off well.

Offline blacktrack99

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2009, 07:05:30 AM »
+1 for Trail Tough.