Hello Guest

Project Kickota

• 133 Replies

Offline biker

• It's a sickness I tell ya
Re: Project Kickota
« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2011, 08:57:55 AM »
So I pulled the rear end apart to have a look. Carrier was swollen and I was unable to remove the ring gear so I had to cut the carrier to remove the locker and this is what I found. :( I think the locker is still usable with a little cleanup.
94 Kick with bigger tires
99 Vitara 2wd
10 Gr Vitara

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #106 on: October 16, 2011, 12:42:45 PM »
What happened  :o that's so extreme of a break, what/who's brand locker is that???
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline biker

« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2011, 06:46:03 AM »
I got myself wedged into a bit of a spot and tried to power out of it, some say that lots of gearing can be a bad thing ::) Who knew that a Zuk motor could do that much damage ??? That is an Aussi locker in a Toyota axle.
99 Vitara 2wd
10 Gr Vitara

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #108 on: October 20, 2011, 02:53:08 PM »
I got myself wedged into a bit of a spot and tried to power out of it, some say that lots of gearing can be a bad thing ::) Who knew that a Zuk motor could do that much damage ??? That is an Aussi locker in a Toyota axle.

A buddy destroyed two rear axles and one front in Johnson Valley with gearing.  The downside of being able to crawl.  :D
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline biker

« Reply #109 on: May 13, 2012, 05:57:38 PM »
So I guess it's time for an update to this ongoing build. I calculated that my break ratio is approximately 50% ::) so I set out to improve that number. I figure that by increasing HP by 70% I should be able to get my ratio up by at least that much. >:D I started collecting parts a few months ago and proceeded to bolt things together. I found a manifold on ebay that bolts right up to the 16v head and also a T-25 turbo that came from a Nissan. I had to build an o2 housing from a sch 40 elbow and a couple flanges that I had my buddy cut out on his plasma table. I welded it all together and put in 2 bungs, one for the stock o2 and one for the wideband o2 sensor.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 06:13:35 PM by biker »
99 Vitara 2wd
10 Gr Vitara

Offline biker

« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2012, 06:05:50 PM »
I then proceeded to get everything hooked up so that it can work. I picked up a Begi rrfpr and installed it to control fuel pressure only to find out that the stock pump doesn't really make enough pressure so I sourced out a fuel pump from a late 80's Ford truck and now have tons of pressure. I also installed a gauge in my fuel rail to assist in tuning.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 06:39:19 PM by biker »
99 Vitara 2wd
10 Gr Vitara

Offline biker

« Reply #111 on: May 13, 2012, 06:57:22 PM »
With that done I set about putting the plumbing together. A handful of silicone fittings, some exhaust pipe and a recirculating blowoff valve from a Mitsubishi. I made a fitting to vent the blowoff into the intake of the turbo to avoid the engine going rich when it vents. On the exhaust side I fit in a flex coupler to take the stress off the turbo from engine vesus exhaust system movement.
99 Vitara 2wd
10 Gr Vitara

Offline biker

« Reply #112 on: May 13, 2012, 07:00:41 PM »
Then I plumbed in a h2o/methanol injection system as I just don't have room to run an inter cooler and all the related piping. I found it quite handy that 4 door Kicks have dual pumps, one front and one rear so I just disabled the rear squirter and fed that line to the meth pump. I set the solenoid to turn on at 3 lbs of boost. I also wrapped the charge pipe with insulated wrap to keep the heat from the turbo from heating the air back up after being cooled by the h2o/meth.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 07:34:06 PM by biker »
99 Vitara 2wd
10 Gr Vitara

Offline biker

« Reply #113 on: May 13, 2012, 07:38:19 PM »
next I plumbed in the wideband A/F meter and a vac/boost gauge so that I can keep a close eye on how the motor is running. I will also be installing an EGT gauge as soon as it arrives to fill in the last hole in my A pillar mount.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 07:41:33 PM by biker »
99 Vitara 2wd
10 Gr Vitara

Offline biker

« Reply #114 on: May 13, 2012, 07:46:09 PM »
Then I decided to install the biggest HP producing devices to cap off the perfomance mods. 8) The obligatory stickers and hood scoop to help let the hot air out from under the hood. >:D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 08:32:46 PM by biker »
99 Vitara 2wd
10 Gr Vitara

Offline biker

« Reply #115 on: May 13, 2012, 07:57:57 PM »
I took it out for some road testing today to see if all that I've been doing is going to help this poor gutless truck with wayyy over sized tires for the gearing in road gear. All I can say is HOLLLLLLYYYYYY CRAP :o :o When the turbo kicks in and the cam comes into its power band it kicks my stock Trackers ass, it literally flies. Way better than it was, hold it to the floor and hope you hit the speed limit before a turtle farts in front of you and breaks your momentum. :laugh:
99 Vitara 2wd
10 Gr Vitara

Offline biker

« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2012, 08:08:09 PM »
I have been doing a couple of other mods in between doing the turbo upgrade also. I replaced my solenoid pack for my winch with a contactor pack. Much more compact and it works my winch awesome. I couldn't use my wired remote with the contactor so I fabbed up a little in cab control with stuff I had laying around. I also made up a bracket to hold my CB on the roof by the rear view mirror.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 07:47:25 AM by biker »
99 Vitara 2wd
10 Gr Vitara

Offline allout

« Reply #117 on: May 18, 2012, 09:24:07 PM »
Wow it looks different in pictures  ;) Nice work as usual Duane. Glad it is working out as now I have a prototype to copy LOL.
94 Tracker, SAS with YJ's, spartan locker front , welded rear, 33/10.50's, 4.24tcase gears, Warn M8000. Toy axles being built up.

Offline chadstichter

• 98 4door home built coil yota swap 31s rear e-lock
« Reply #118 on: June 29, 2012, 10:09:10 AM »
did the pilar setup just bolt right in? and how much did your hole turbo project cost apx? it looks really cool i cant wait to start my toyota axles but i am going to use jeep rubicon express long arms in front.

thanks,
       chad
98 4door home built coil yota swap 31s rear e-locker, 8000lb winch and synthetic rope
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ]
 l(|removethispart|@) (|removethispart|@)          l(|removethispart|@) (|removethispart|@)         l(|removethispart|@)

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #119 on: June 29, 2012, 05:47:04 PM »
With that done I set about putting the plumbing together. A handful of silicone fittings, some exhaust pipe and a recirculating blowoff valve from a Mitsubishi. I made a fitting to vent the blowoff into the intake of the turbo to avoid the engine going rich when it vents. On the exhaust side I fit in a flex coupler to take the stress off the turbo from engine vesus exhaust system movement.

That turbo stuff sure fits in the engine compartment better without the ac compressor in the way. That caused my biggest headaches, but now that it's a 100 degrees and humid again I sure am glad I went the extra bit to keep it. Yours looks good, bet it works well too.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER