Hello Guest

1990 sidekick

• 15 Replies

Offline bvc

1990 sidekick
« on: January 27, 2009, 07:23:22 PM »
looking to modify a 1990 sidekick, want to do a 6 inch body/suspension lift and run 33 inch tires, mainly town and off road running, is there a transfer case gear reduction to get it back to stock gearing ratio with the 33s on this unit?p.s new to this forum, any info would be a great help, pretty excited to start this project!!
men are like steel, when you lose your temper, you lose your worth!

Offline Carnage

• If you only knew the POWER...
Re: 1990 sidekick
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 07:49:10 PM »
welcome!

take full advantage of that search feature at the top

it literally opens a wealth of info!

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 09:49:03 PM »
Unfortunately, trackers are screwed in the gearing department. You'll have to do an axle swap (which you should consider anyway with 33" tires) to get diff gears from a D44 or Toyota. If you want to move up to 35" tires, adding a Samurai t-case (using an adapter) behind your tracker case will give you the range reduction to stockish (Search Kicker 3, Kicker III, and Rock Rat adapter). Or, slap a Samurai case behind a 2wd trans (cheaper, but you don't get dual case goodness). The Samurai case has 1.4:1 Hi-Range reduction, and is the ONLY case I'm aware of that gives hi & low range reduction.
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 06:44:33 AM »
They make tcase reduction gears for trackicks.  But I hear that 89 and 90 trackick tcases are slightly different internally and these gears won't fit correctly (haven't verified the difference, that's just what I have heard).  You can get a later tcase (91-95) from any trackick and it will be a direct replacement for yours and will be compatible with the lower tcase gears (which run close to $650).
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 08:53:55 AM »
Yea, but the T-Case reduction gears are for low range only.  They don't help you with the high end.

I think someone was working on a reduction box though.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 09:28:38 AM »
True, trackick tcase gears will only affect low range only, where as samurai tcase gears (if you decide to swap in a samurai tcase) will lower both high and low range.  And, as mentioned, samurai tcases have a 1.409 high range reduction in them stock. 
One thing to note, with a samurai tcase swap....since the reduction will automatically be 40% in high range, that means you will need to run a 40% taller than stock tire to be at the same engine RPMs at any given speed (so say stock tires are 27" tall, that would mean you would need a 37.8" tall tire to be "geared" the same as with stock tires).  Generally, a samurai tcase swap into a trackick is not feasible, unless you are running 35"+ tall tires, or you don't drive on the road at high speeds.  Of course, you could always run a higher (numerically lower) axle gear to compensate for the overgearing of the samurai tcase, but that is more work/more $$$.

One other option (instead of swapping in a samurai tcase).......
If your trackick is an auto, it will have 4.62 axle gears, so you could swap in some factory 5 speed gears (5.12s) and that would help get you back to a stock gearing ratio (won't quite be enough, though).  Ideally, the 5.62 axle gears would be a good swap.....but they are very hard to find and generally big $$$ if you do find some.
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline Lrp_wicky

• Built, not bought.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CwdUHJBaY0
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 10:30:58 AM »
I swapped in a 26 spline front axle from an older year Sidekick and bought the Sidekick / Tracker Rockmonster 4.24:1 Transfer Case Gears, stuffed lockers front and rear, Swapped an autotrans in place of my manual and kept the 5.12 gears. I spin my 35's just fine and no expensive auto swap. I use to run 33's with my 5.12 gears before the T-case gear and auto swap. It did ok, my set of 31s worked better. There are several websites that will give you a tire size to pumpkin gear ratio. Try this one http://www.rocky-road.com/calculator.html
89 tracker, tubed doors, locked front & rear, 26 spline front & rear sidekick axles w/5.12, auto trans swap, 4.21 low t-case, 35x12.5x15, yes thats 35 w/ body,well & floor board trimins, NSX Bottle fed +50hp & header, home made lift & other evil treats. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CwdUHJBaY0

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 10:52:10 AM »

That would be Brent at Trail Tough. It's going to be a 1.5:1 box, and cost as much as a doubler. Which is totally stupid. A doubler is WAY superior to a straight reduction box, so if the cost is the same I don't know how he expects to sell many of them. Other than brand loyalty?
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline Lrp_wicky

• Built, not bought.
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 10:54:38 AM »
Yea, but the T-Case reduction gears are for low range only.  They don't help you with the high end.

I beleive Trail Tough is working on the reduction box and it should be out soon. T-case gears do reduce the high range also, it is a small amount, but noticable. It does help a bit with bigger tires in high range. The amout will depend on what your high range gear is in either your autotrans or your manual. Once again, it is a small difference.
89 tracker, tubed doors, locked front & rear, 26 spline front & rear sidekick axles w/5.12, auto trans swap, 4.21 low t-case, 35x12.5x15, yes thats 35 w/ body,well & floor board trimins, NSX Bottle fed +50hp & header, home made lift & other evil treats. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CwdUHJBaY0

Offline Lrp_wicky

• Built, not bought.
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 10:56:10 AM »

That would be Brent at Trail Tough. It's going to be a 1.5:1 box, and cost as much as a doubler. Which is totally stupid. A doubler is WAY superior to a straight reduction box, so if the cost is the same I don't know how he expects to sell many of them. Other than brand loyalty?

Excellent point

Offline john1974

• http://zuknation.net
    • Zuknation
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 01:07:57 PM »
you could always do the reduction in the t-case for low, and swap in better gearing in the diffs.  I tossed in 5.12's with my 31x10'5s on my 2 door automatic tracker and highway speeds where just fine... my speedo was dead on without adjustment also.

*Image Removed* [/URL]  *Image Removed* [/URL]

Offline bvc

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 02:48:34 PM »
thanks for all the input guys, seems the members on this site seem to know there stuff, my s/k is a 5 speed, how would it work in low range with 31-33 on it with everything stock, i now it would mostlikly suck on the highway but i dont plan on going to far on paved roads with it, i guess like all i am looking for the most cost effective way to make this rig work decent for average 4 wheeling, not planning on thrashing it to extreme   yet!
men are like steel, when you lose your temper, you lose your worth!

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 10:13:33 PM »
31" you'll be okay in a 2-door (and you can get some power back with CAI, cat-back 2" or 2 1/4" exhaust, high-flow cat & muffler - there's debate as to how much headers help for the $$$) - 33" is pushing it. I believe Mike Hagen & friends run 33" with the low-range reduction (about $600). The tracker t-case gears do NOT have ANY hi-range reduction. Not even a little. An automatic is nice with tall tires on the trail 'cause of the torque multiplication. I actually wheeled through the 'con on 35" tires with 4.88 gears w/ stock t-case  :o Not ideal - just saying it can be done.
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline Lrp_wicky

• Built, not bought.
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2009, 04:53:08 PM »
31" you'll be okay in a 2-door (and you can get some power back with CAI, cat-back 2" or 2 1/4" exhaust, high-flow cat & muffler - there's debate as to how much headers help for the $$$) - 33" is pushing it. I believe Mike Hagen & friends run 33" with the low-range reduction (about $600). The tracker t-case gears do NOT have ANY hi-range reduction. Not even a little. An automatic is nice with tall tires on the trail 'cause of the torque multiplication. I actually wheeled through the 'con on 35" tires with 4.88 gears w/ stock t-case  :o Not ideal - just saying it can be done.
I stand corrected, there is NO reduction in high range, Jeremiah is correct. There I go with the Sammi mind set again. Thank for the correction Jeremiah. Good call.

Offline idaholwb

• And that's the way the metal crumpled!
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2009, 12:07:59 AM »
 I have run 5.12s with a Sami case and 31s before. You can run it down the freeway just fine. It does spin a little high but not in a bad way. totally gives you the power lost from the tires. It's actually pretty lively to drive. So you can use the Sami case in a Trackick with anywhere from 31"-35" tires and not have issues. Been there, done that. With 35s your speedo is correct. I have had Samis weigh more than Trackicks with the same running gear with zero complaints. My educated opinion is to use one of the doubler kits that uses a Sami case and have fun. It is a pain to mod the tunnel and make mounts for the Sami case, but it is well worth the effort. Heather's Kick worked great with 5.12s and Sami case on 33's.
97 Sport
265/70-16s
2" lift
2.0 swap
I know...Pretty boring... FOR NOW...