Hello Guest

Tracker Brakes on Samurai?

• 16 Replies

Offline SNJSamurai

• Always have fun in life never know when it can end
Tracker Brakes on Samurai?
« on: January 26, 2009, 11:49:22 PM »
So I have a donor tracker and i want to pick off everything i can that i can use towards the good ol sammi.

I was wondering if i could use the tracker calibers and one of the samurai rear disc brake kit? i did some searches and saw someone said something about it but couldn't find anymore info
Bob
88' Samurai - 5" Lift, 3" DIY Body Lift, 31" Baja Claws, Rattle can flat green, Smittybilt Winch, Custom front bumper, 1.6 swap in progress

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
Re: Tracker Brakes on Samurai?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 06:56:17 PM »
Wrong forum. This is the How-To section (where people show off what they've done), not the tech / ask questions section:
http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/index.php?board=1.0
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline Skyhiranger

• I don't buy, what I can build
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 02:18:31 PM »
If your tracker is a 4 door, then it will have bigger brakes (bigger calipers, vented rotors) and are worth swapping in for rear disc's on the samurai.  If your tracker is a 2 door, then the brakes are not really an upgrade from samurai front brakes.

To answer your question.....yes, the calipers from both 2 and 4 door trackicks should work with a samurai rear disc brake kit (they can both be used in place of samurai calipers on the front of samurais).
Tracker and Sidekick parts for sale.....PM me with your wants/needs.

Offline SNJSamurai

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 05:30:56 PM »
Jeremiah My bad I know it should of been in the other forum but i already posted when i realized it.

SkyHiranger Thanks man. I have a 2 door. so there not bigger but still would be easier to do maintain and easier to change the brakes.
Bob
88' Samurai - 5" Lift, 3" DIY Body Lift, 31" Baja Claws, Rattle can flat green, Smittybilt Winch, Custom front bumper, 1.6 swap in progress

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 10:07:09 PM »
The sami rear disc kit deletes the e-brake though right? is there a kit out there that will work with an e-brake. The sky break kit (that puts a e-brake behind the t-case) is $$$
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline Skyhiranger

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 06:56:17 AM »
The sami rear disc kit deletes the e-brake though right? is there a kit out there that will work with an e-brake. The sky break kit (that puts a e-brake behind the t-case) is $$$

If you use samurai front calipers, then, of course, it eliminates the ebrake.
I was thinking some vendor had a kit that used other calipers that had the ebrake...but I can't remember who it was.
And a lot of people make their own rear disc conversion using nissan 300z, early 80s subaru, nissan stanza, nissan maxima, or late 80s acura legend calipers, which all have a built in ebrake.

Offline john1974

• http://zuknation.net
    • Zuknation
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 08:44:26 AM »
friend of mine is doing the rear brake conversion he got from low range.  I am going to see how he likes it before I decide, although I do have a 2 door 94 tracker for parts in the yard... hmmm
 *Image Removed* [/URL]  *Image Removed* [/URL]

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 12:42:28 PM »
If you don't mind the lack of legality you can get a line lock kit to replace your emergency break.

If you can find an old SJ-410 transfer case you can pull the E-Brake off of it.  It bolts onto the rear of the transfer case, just like the Sky kit only it's a drum instead of disk.

96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline SNJSamurai

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 12:31:02 AM »
Legal lol my truck isn't legal anyway so why stop now! >:D

Drone637 If your talkin about the jamar push button line lock thats what i was going to use

and with the 300z i wish i knew that i just sold a complete rear that i had from my old 300zx a couple months ago  >:(

also only thing im worried about is the portioning valve. i guess it would be like adjusting the drum brakes but you adjust the fluid not the pad to drum clearence
Bob

Offline Skyhiranger

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 05:52:58 AM »
also only thing im worried about is the portioning valve. i guess it would be like adjusting the drum brakes but you adjust the fluid not the pad to drum clearence

I have read the stock proportioning valve works fine, but you should change out the master cylinder to compensate for the increased fluid flow needed for the rear disc brakes.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 11:37:53 AM »
My rig is trail only and I run the stock brake setup without any issues with the disks in the rear.  Then again, I have an SJ-410.  The lack of power anything to begin with probably means I can get away with more.  :D  When converting to the disks in the rear we just put a T in the single line running back, split to the left and right calipers.

When doing 50 I can slam on the brakes and the rear will hop just a little bit on dry pavement, but I don't have the power to lock up all 4 tires with the 33x12.5 Pro Comps.  I don't really see this as an issue, as I don't really need to go into a 4 wheel skid when doing 50 anyway.

SNJSamurai:  I think that is similar to the guy in our club who put the line locks on his FJ, his had a remote switch available I believe, so he didn't have to run his brake lines through the cab.  I have a drum brake on my transfer case, so I never had to worry about it.  :P
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 10:41:53 AM by Drone637 »
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline SNJSamurai

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 07:44:20 PM »
see the elec ones if it gets below a certain voltage the solenoid well open and then your car will roll. the jamar is manual so it wont release.

SKY- what kind of master cylinder can you use
Bob

Offline Skyhiranger

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 05:44:17 AM »
see the elec ones if it gets below a certain voltage the solenoid well open and then your car will roll. the jamar is manual so it wont release.

SKY- what kind of master cylinder can you use

Yep, the manual ones won't drain your battery, like the electric ones can.

A subaru master cylinder is a popular swap.  Some guys use a firebird MC.  Search on zuwharrie and pirate4x4.....there are more details there on exactly which ones to use.

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 09:44:54 AM »
I have a disk brake in my transfer case, so I never had to worry about it.  :P

That's because you've never busted a rear drive shaft / U-joint before. I have, and working under a vehicle on the Rubicon with no rear breaks (only chalked tries) made me nervous. My future designs will include beaks to the tires of some kind. I'm even thinking of adding line lock to the front in case I need to fiddle with the back. Safety first as they say...
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 10:40:48 AM »
I have a drum brake on my transfer case, so I never had to worry about it.  :P

That's because you've never busted a rear drive shaft / U-joint before. I have, and working under a vehicle on the Rubicon with no rear breaks (only chalked tries) made me nervous. My future designs will include beaks to the tires of some kind. I'm even thinking of adding line lock to the front in case I need to fiddle with the back. Safety first as they say...

It locks the to the front as well.  Only one tire though if the ARB isn't on.  The dive-line e-brake is standard on the SJ-410.  Course you have to kill the e-brake when rotating things into position for drive-line work but it's easy enough to just pull the drive-line and go around in 2wd until I hit level ground.

There was something weird about the German model because of a requirement that both rear wheels lock when the e-brake is on, but I can't remember what they did...
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing