Hello Guest

spare tire mounting parts

• 11 Replies

Offline ppltrak

• zukspeed staff
    • zukspeed.com
spare tire mounting parts
« on: January 26, 2009, 08:13:01 PM »
Hey I'm stuck on a project. I cant seem to find a decent spare tire mounting flange, the part that actually bolts to the tire/wheel. I need one thats about 3/8" thick with the three studs to fit 5 on 51/2. I have a stock one that came off of my rig but it's too thin and flimsy. I suppose I could make one if I had to. I tried all my normal fab sites but I can't find one. Can somebody send me a link to anybody that sells them.

Thanks,
    Kevin
94 purple/green splash tracker w/ calmini 3' heavly modified lift 32 11.5 r15 bfg m/t's  & custom air induction and header w/ 2"exh. no cat lockrite rear 2" B/L and a heavy right foot and now 583s steel up front and locked.
2002 GV 2.5l 4.5 ZN lift locked on 31's

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: spare tire mounting parts
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 08:37:25 AM »
Have you looked at just getting a drum turned down?

You might give Trail Tough a call.  They sell what you want as part of the Rear Disk Brake Conversion kit.  http://www.trailtough.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=103&category_id=14&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline ROSS

• WHY TAKE A PICTURE WHEN YOU CAN DRIVE OVER IT
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 04:54:29 PM »
now i know you have a couple of broken rear axles laying around don't you??????
87 SAMI 1600 FUEL INJ. , TORQUER CAM, 6.5 TO 1T-CASE, 5"SPRINGS SHACKLE REVERSE ,2 BODY LIFT, LOCK-RITES FRONT W/ HEAVY-DUTY AXLES & ARB'S REAR  BFG 31 X10.50 X 16",  EXO SKELLETON,

Offline Merlin93

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 06:31:19 PM »
...I cant seem to find a decent spare tire mounting flange... 

When the stock spare tire mount can't hack it anymore, most guys go to bumper mounting on an aftermarket heavy-duty bumper.  Even if you really beef-up the tire mount, the tailgate quickly becomes the next weakest link. At some point, you just have to get the big spare tire on something really solid. I wish I could say where that "breaking point" is, but I'm too much of a wimp to go that large. For the time being my axles will stay just the way they are, spindly and weak, on small-ish tires (all things being relative).   
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 06:33:00 PM by Merlin93 »

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 06:41:28 PM »
I usually see people re-use the old spare mount on the new swing away. Is it really that flimsy?
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline ppltrak

• zukspeed staff
    • zukspeed.com
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 08:10:02 PM »
Thanks guys I found what I need. Ross I throw out all my broken axles :o

Kevin

PS I hope it turns out good I'm trying to get this look
94 purple/green splash tracker w/ calmini 3' heavly modified lift 32 11.5 r15 bfg m/t's  & custom air induction and header w/ 2"exh. no cat lockrite rear 2" B/L and a heavy right foot and now 583s steel up front and locked.
2002 GV 2.5l 4.5 ZN lift locked on 31's

Offline dustybadlands

• dustybadlands treeslammer
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 12:19:02 PM »
I know, a little late, but you guys inspired me to do this. Thats a spare locking hub. ;)

"If nuthin' changes, nuthin changes. Do what ya  always did, get what ya  always got !"

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 01:53:10 PM »
Now that's the ticket. Can the hub ( not the lock out hub, the wheel hub and bearings) be used as a spare?
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline dustybadlands

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 08:59:14 PM »
I cut the shaft off a CV, pulled the rest of the parts off an old spindle. rebuilt 'em  and globbed on the weld-n- paint.  Bearings are greased and ready. The locking hub works, the spare will spin!    Or not. Now I'm thinking...(here goes ???)... If I put on a PTO, shaft and propeller...
"If nuthin' changes, nuthin changes. Do what ya  always did, get what ya  always got !"

Offline RHodge

Offline dustybadlands

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 06:20:26 AM »
awsome site! decent prices! now among my favorites! THANX!!

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 11:09:50 AM »
I know, a little late, but you guys inspired me to do this. Thats a spare locking hub. ;)

This falls under one of those brilliant "why didn't I think of that" categories! With the limited storage on Sami's, ANYTHING that can get a spare out of a box, and somewhere else is... well... I'll say it again... brilliant!
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6