Hello Guest

How tall can you go on tires with stock suspension? 87 Zuk

• 9 Replies

Offline one mile

How tall can you go on tires with stock suspension? 87 Zuk
« on: January 20, 2009, 06:47:39 PM »
I posted in the DIY section first now here (Newbie) I have picked up a 87 samurai "Tin Top" project for my daughter and myself and I need input on how tall of a tire that I can put on it without too much cutting. For now I would like to run the stock suspension with just tires and wheels BUT I don't want to come back later on and raise it a little and then have to buy more tires! Do you Know what I am talking about? I hope so....Any input will be welcome.
"WORK SMART NOT HARD"

Offline 4Zstracker

Re: How tall can you go on tires with stock suspension? 87 Zuk
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 07:49:23 PM »
I have run up to a 235/75 R15. They rub in the back though, pretty bad. If you use a 1-2" spacer that can be fixed, and thats pretty cheap and easy to install, or Old Man Emu springs would give enough clearance for that.
if ya always do what ya always done, you always gonna get what ya always got...

Offline one mile

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 08:34:51 PM »
when you say spacer where do you put it? behind wheel or ....? Sorry I am a little foggy on this...
"WORK SMART NOT HARD"

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 07:13:21 AM »
This is a Sammy, right?  If so, ignore the reply from 4Zstracker as I think he's talking about Sidekicks.

a 215/75R15 fits without any mods.  225's can fit with little effort.  235's require trimming, or a 2" body lift.

Offline Merlin93

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 07:52:29 AM »
As Y-Tim said. 215/75R15 is the largest tire that will fit a stock Samurai.  With a 1.5-2" lift, e.g. OME springs in my case, 235/75R15 will fit. You might look into pounding flat the fender seams inside the fenders -- they can easily cut a tire.   The 215's will fit a stock Samurai wheel.  Larger tires are usually specified for use on wider wheels, but a lot of guys mount them on stock wheels anyway, without apparent problems.

Offline one mile

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 09:53:36 AM »
Thanks for the input. Now I at least have a direction plotted out now. I will look into wider wheels with a better offset then look at "working" on the body seams to get what I need to run the 235's if I can (fingers crossed). Does anyone have pics. they could share to help me get a visiual on how much "working" they did to get them to fit? Also is it unheard of to re-drill the spring perch pads to slide the axel forward (just a bit) without too much of an issue with the stock steering geometry ? I know the driveshaft is an issue but I can deal with that if the steering is not too big of an issue. I will try to not be a pest on everything but I like to know how "DEEP" I am going before I start.
"WORK SMART NOT HARD"

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 11:39:59 AM »
Get the 235's, and flex the suspension. Depending on brand (they're hardly ever the real size they advertise), you might not need to do anything at all. Maybe just a little BFH time, and maybe a 1-2" lift / trim job.
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline Merlin93

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 04:30:42 PM »
Here in CA, tires need to stay within the fender flares to stay strictly legal (although hardly anybody ever actually gets written up).  If it's not a daily driver, your exposure is less and so is the risk. Up to about 9.5 inch tires (235/75R15), you'll be OK without negative offset (reduced backspacing).  With wider tires, you may have to start considering wheels with decreased backspacing to keep the tires from hitting the springs at full lock. And tire sizes are approximate, at best. Few tires actually measure exactly what their nominal size states.  Most are a bit smaller in diameter, and more so when worn/aired down.

Good wheel tech site: http://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 04:44:49 PM by Merlin93 »

Offline one mile

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 05:03:01 PM »
All this info is great!  Keep it going folks.  It is nice to know this info is just at your fingertips and all you have to do is ask!  I never could stand that "Trial and Error" way of doing things.  It was hard on the wallet!
"WORK SMART NOT HARD"

Offline 4Zstracker

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 07:40:35 PM »
Yeah sorry about that, I was thinking Trac/Kick when I wrote that.

Even so some minor mods like longer shackles would allow for the 235s, without using a body lift.
if ya always do what ya always done, you always gonna get what ya always got...