Hello Guest

What shocks should i use?

• 35 Replies

Offline 94blackgeo

What shocks should i use?
« on: January 16, 2009, 08:34:15 AM »
I have a 94 tracker and im building on a buget and i was wondering wut shocks in the back should i use to get a little more flex.... someone told me crown vic shocks but i dont know any ideaz

Offline zukizuki07

Re: What shocks should i use?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 07:41:31 PM »
2 door 4 door?
and by flex im assuming you mean articulation which "lift springs" wont help you with. longer travel struts/shocks are needed to articulate more.
maybe try some strut spacers and lift springs
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 07:43:09 PM by zukizuki07 »
96 2 Door Tracker
4 door springs, Calmini 3"BL , Trailtough Mini spool , 31's
Plans: Jeffs  diff spacer, bumpers, smittybuilt 8k winch and XL7 iron Diff. housing swap

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 09:15:27 PM »
Talk to Jeff1997 he sells spacers and it is the best way to go if on a budget.  Also, do a search for shocks and you should find a plethora of information...    ;)

Offline 94blackgeo

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 09:45:36 PM »
wut kind of spacers spring spacers or strut

Offline Carnage

• If you only knew the POWER...

Offline derekj

• i'm the canadian guy eh?
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 01:31:24 PM »
http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=21293.msg181343#msg181343

Here are some Monroe numbers for reference for you.

Derek
91 Sidekick jx
2" BDS supension lift
2" BDS body lift
1" Coil spacers
32" TSL's and some other stuff I did And now with a Lockrite!  www.cardomain.com/memberpage/783382

Offline jeff1997

• Suzuki: A Jeep thing only cheaper!!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 02:50:15 PM »
You will need coil spring spacers and strut spacers as well as longer rear shocks. I sell all but the shocks. For a budget 2" lift I reccomend using 1.5" coil and strut spacers in front and 2" coil spacers rear. This setup is the best way to go to level out the vehicle and give a full 2" lift all around. The shocks i use are from a 95 Mustang. The crown vic ones require some mods to work. The complete kit minus the shocks sells for $125 shipped to you. I can get shocks and the whole thing will run you $190. Let me know if this is something you would be interested in. Thanks, Jeff
1997 4dr. Sidekick Sport 1.8L DOHC
2" coil spacers- I make and sell 1.5" and 2" on e-bay.  Look under seller: hoepkers
3" Masterkit1 body lift
Custom strut spacers
31/11.50/16 Super Swamper LTB's w/1.5" wheel spacers Steel bumpers Custom cold air intake 2" exhaust w/cherry bomb 98 Expedition, 2" lift, 35's, Magnaflow exhaust - BIG BLUE

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 01:26:34 PM »
Lift: Is clearance between the ground & an object. A suspension lift will move the frame & body away from the ground. A body lift will move the body away from the frame & ground (but the frame will not move away from the ground, so you have no additional ground clearance, only more room for tires).

Flex: Flex is created by longer springs AND shocks (or struts). The longer springs compress / decompress more, and matching long-travel shocks / struts will be needed, or they'll limit the travel of the longer spring to stock travel. Spring spacers will NOT create additional flex. They're a spacer on top of the same-length spring (creating suspension lift), and have no way of making the spring compress / decompress any more than it already does. You will either need a longer shock / strut, or re-locate the mounting point to use your existing shock / strut (Jeff's kit uses both).

You basically have 5 choices with a kick:
Fender Trimming (aka "virtual lift"): Should be re-named fender "bending the lip in" really - the cuts are just reliefs to make the bending easier & to follow more precise lines. The often overlooked way to put on larger tires, keep the center of gravity low, will look good if done well, and costs only a few $$$ for hand-tools that you probably already have. If people were honest, they'd tell you they skip this option in the name of vanity - after all - lifts just look cool.
Spring Spacers $200+: The lift won't give additional articulation, but for $200 - who cares? It costs 1/4 the price of the OME (see below), making it the best bang-for-the buck way lift a kick. Jeff's kit has gotten rave reviews on quality & customer service.
OME 1.5" Lift $700 + S&H: Made by ARB - this is the luxury lift with the luxury price tag. The ride quality will drastically improve, and is the ONLY kit that gives 3" of additional suspension travel front & rear (OME is the only long-travel strut option). If you can afford it, get it - it's worth every penny.
Trail Slayer Solid Axle Swap (SAS) $4,000 + cost of axles & tooling: This puts Toyota solid axles in the front & rear of the Kick. Good for 33-35" tires. The only currently available SAS kit is made by Trail Tough, and gets good reviews. Like all Trail Tough products, it's well thought out, engineered & manufactured.
Home Brew: Most home-brew setups include some combination of the above kits. If you don't already know how to do it, then don't bother - you probably don't have the tooling needed, which will drive the cost of DIY higher than just buying the kit.

There are other kits out there (Calmini), but for the asking price, I've not included them 'cause they're just not worth it. Body lifts are the  >:D - they raise the center of gravity without giving any additional ground clearance. This is BAD BAD BAD on short wheelbase vehicles, and should be avoided. The kits listed above are really the only options that make sense. From there - we're just limited by gearing, but that's a whole other thread.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 01:33:41 PM by Jeremiah »
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 02:55:24 AM »
the ONLY kit that gives 3" of additional suspension travel front & rear (OME is the only long-travel strut option). If you can afford it, get it - it's worth every penny.

There are other kits out there (Calmini), but for the asking price, I've not included them 'cause they're just not worth it.

The kits listed above are really the only options that make sense. From there - we're just limited by gearing, but that's a whole other thread.

The OME kit give less articulation than the Calmini kit front and rear. I have explained this in detail to you before why can't you understand this? You keep repeating the same nonsense. Have you ever had a Calmini kit?

I would always recommend the 3" Calmini kit for anyone looking for max. articulation. It also gives 3" of lift not 1.5" and moves the front wheel slighlty further forward for additional clearance.  As for value for money, take a look at what you get with the Calmini kit. Its a comprehensive lift kit not just springs and shocks/struts.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline TopHeavy96

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 04:45:43 AM »
take a look at what you get with the Calmini kit. Its a comprehensive lift kit not just springs and shocks/struts.

I agree with rhinoman the calmini kit is more $$$$$ due to the extra parts it includes.  I don't have the kit but by looking at their site I can tell you its a "competition" quality suspension "system".

just my 0.02
96' Tracker 4-door, 16v, auto, open front, limited slip rear, Jeff1997's 2" lift with diff spacer, 95' mustang shocks, Calmini axle truss, BFG 30x9.5 mud-terrains on 15x8 "D"-windows, trimmed and banged fenders and bumpers, radio shack CB, Tom Tom GPS, 100w KC lights
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1097549855954

Offline 94blackgeo

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 06:54:15 AM »
Thanks for all the info but 4 right now dont have the money for calmini stuff kause i got knocked down to 4 days a week at work THIS BLOWs LOL thanks for everything and let me know if anymore ideas

Offline TopHeavy96

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 09:46:42 AM »
For the price you can't beat jeffs spacers!  I just got mine in the mail today and they look invincible! with shocks for $190 is a steal.  Without a body lift  should be able to fit 30s. (at least thats what
I'm tryin  ;))
96' Tracker 4-door, 16v, auto, open front, limited slip rear, Jeff1997's 2" lift with diff spacer, 95' mustang shocks, Calmini axle truss, BFG 30x9.5 mud-terrains on 15x8 "D"-windows, trimmed and banged fenders and bumpers, radio shack CB, Tom Tom GPS, 100w KC lights
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1097549855954

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 11:21:58 AM »
The OME kit give less articulation than the Calmini kit front and rear.

The Calmini kit doesn't include long travel shocks. They're stock travel - limiting the travel of their suspension to stock. The kit includes strut spacers (see red circles) = stock travel:

You don't NEED their A-arm to get longer travel. Though their A-arm is pretty cool, and does re-center the front wheels allowing the use of larger tires, and negates the need for a re-alignment. I've also flexed my suspension (OME) side-by-side next to a Calmini lifted 4-door to to prove I had more flex.

I would always recommend the 3" Calmini kit for anyone looking for max. articulation. It also gives 3" of lift not 1.5" and moves the front wheel slighlty further forward for additional clearance.  As for value for money, take a look at what you get with the Calmini kit. Its a comprehensive lift kit not just springs and shocks/struts.

The rest of the items don't "add value", they're surperfluous. What's the point of all those bits, and the taller lift? The OME will already clear 31" tires with MINIMAL trimming (if any at all - depends on tire brand). Going with 30-34" tires KILLS the streetability (MPG, power, overdrive) of a Kick. There's no gearing options (without axle-swapping) to handle larger tires. If the larger tires are impractical - so's the extra lift (raising center-of-gravity for no reason). At $250 more for parts & lift you don't need, the Calmini kit isn't a good value at all.

The 1.5" from the OME suspension is more than enough for 29/30" tires (without any trimming), and rides much better than Calmini. Do some searching - I challenge you to find one person unhappy with their OME kit (I've never heard of one in the years of being on these boards). About 1/2 the people installing Calmini say the ride quality is worse than stock (their springs are too stiff, but will soften up a bit if you add a heavy front bumper & winch).
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 11:33:52 AM »
For the price you can't beat jeffs spacers!

x2

At the time I got my OME, Jeff's spacers weren't available (and other vendors were charging way too much) or I would have gone this route. For the same price as an OME lift, you can get Jeff's spacers & a rear locker (which will make your rig act like it's on 2" taller tires while keeping a lower center of gravity, and better slow-crawl) for less money than the OME kit. Skip the Calmini kit, and you can afford a front locker too. I'll take a Jeff's lifted kick w/ F&R lockers on 29" tires over a Calmini lifted kick on 31" tires ANY day.
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline jeff1997

• Suzuki: A Jeep thing only cheaper!!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 01:36:15 PM »
FYI guys Monroe-Matic shocks part number-32260. They are 20" long extended,. More than enough to compensate for my coil spacers.
1997 4dr. Sidekick Sport 1.8L DOHC
2" coil spacers- I make and sell 1.5" and 2" on e-bay.  Look under seller: hoepkers
3" Masterkit1 body lift
Custom strut spacers
31/11.50/16 Super Swamper LTB's w/1.5" wheel spacers Steel bumpers Custom cold air intake 2" exhaust w/cherry bomb 98 Expedition, 2" lift, 35's, Magnaflow exhaust - BIG BLUE