Hello Guest

Little Confused GV/XL7 Iron front Dif.

• 23 Replies

Offline zukizuki07

Re: Little Confused GV/XL7 Iron front Dif.
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2009, 12:40:59 PM »
Just got off the phone with hawk suzuki, awesome service! Looking at $1000 assembled.... oh how I wish I could pick up a used housing/gear set  :'(

I have a front diff gear set removed from the steel housing.  Appears to be like new. I think it is out of an automatic with 5:12 gears.  Does that sound right? I bought it for the steel housing and did not really care what gears were in it.  $100 + Shipping.
need 5 speed to 5 speed sorry.... thanks though! now either i replace with another weak aluminum diff. or try to find a good writeup on using a sammi rear axle in the front..... oh how I wish I had more money and yota's

The 5.12 gears are the ones that you need for a 5sp manual. however autos are usually 4.88s or similar.
thats why i was not interested, because of it being an auto trans  ???
96 2 Door Tracker
4 door springs, Calmini 3"BL , Trailtough Mini spool , 31's
Plans: Jeffs  diff spacer, bumpers, smittybuilt 8k winch and XL7 iron Diff. housing swap

Offline skitime

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 01:01:05 PM »
I looked at the ring and pinion I have.  It is a 4.30 gear ratio with a 10 pinion /43 ring tooth count.  Now according to the website I looked up the XL7 uses the 4:30 ratio in a manual transmission and the 5:13 ratio on the automatic.  I know that seems opposite of the Trackers but that is what I found.

Offline zukizuki07

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 01:50:58 PM »
I looked at the ring and pinion I have.  It is a 4.30 gear ratio with a 10 pinion /43 ring tooth count.  Now according to the website I looked up the XL7 uses the 4:30 ratio in a manual transmission and the 5:13 ratio on the automatic.  I know that seems opposite of the Trackers but that is what I found.

hmm i have to call hawk and see what they think, Ill let you know thanks.
96 2 Door Tracker
Plans: Jeffs  diff spacer, bumpers, smittybuilt 8k winch and XL7 iron Diff. housing swap

Offline zuksofhazzard

• them darn Zuk boys
    • MOAB PICS
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 02:18:37 PM »
I have a Steel Front Housing from a GV.

I'm not going to use it, my plans have changed.

Send me a PM if you are looking for a Steel Front Housing.  ;)

Offline zukizuki07

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2009, 02:22:54 PM »
I have a Steel Front Housing from a GV.

I'm not going to use it, my plans have changed.

Send me a PM if you are looking for a Steel Front Housing.  ;)
pm sent..... love this site
96 2 Door Tracker

Offline zukizuki07

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2009, 12:34:08 PM »
hawk does have machined thirds, or you can just do the trailtough front locker, it has the locker the carrrier everything  for 300 bucks that is a great deal. To piece this together would be more unless you already have an extra locker and a samurai carrier laying around.

http://www.trailtough.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=169&category_id=18&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

I bought my parts directly from Suzuki, unfortunatley I do not have the part numbers anymore. I wanna say the front third unloaded was less than 250.00 but that was quite some time ago.

You may want to check in with Petroworks too. I know some people that good complete front housing/diffs everything from him that were basically pulled from scrap vehicles.

the RPM4x4 guys did the samurai third member in the front. There are not a lot of details here but there are some.

http://zukiworld.com/month_020105/feature_rockstarpart2.htm

here is some more information on modifying the front diff to stop the mounts from breaking
http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=21156.0

and again more information in this thread including the part number to order the XL7 steel front third member
http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=4408.0

may the force be with you.
hutch

awesome info thanks again
96 2 Door Tracker

Offline wildgoody

• Turbocharged 150HP 1.6L 8V 93MPH 1/4 mile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2009, 10:36:38 PM »
I had to pitch in here, I came across a GV in the wrecking yard, started to drool
over the thought of a steel front housing, only to be dissapointed that in was just
another aluminum housing ??? what gives? I thought the GV had steel front diffs?

Anyway, I robbed the 26 spline axles and put them in the Kick, along with a front
locker and a low range T-case set from TT.

Now I'm geared so low I can't run sand dunes, need a second T-case just for sand,
but Moab is going to be a blast  ;D

Wild
Real Trucks Are Built, Not Bought,
And Chrome Don't Get Ya Home.  

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2009, 04:37:54 AM »
I had to pitch in here, I came across a GV in the wrecking yard, started to drool
over the thought of a steel front housing, only to be dissapointed that in was just
another aluminum housing ??? what gives? I thought the GV had steel front diffs?
Wild

I've only seen them in V6 models and diesels.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 08:58:46 AM »

Anyway, I robbed the 26 spline axles and put them in the Kick, along with a front
locker and a low range T-case set from TT.

Now I'm geared so low I can't run sand dunes, need a second T-case just for sand,
but Moab is going to be a blast  ;D

Wild

Early on in the GV (1999-2002?) The automatics had aluminum housings and the Manuals had the steel housings.

-Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!