Hello Guest

tracker ?s newbie

• 25 Replies

tracker ?s newbie
« on: January 01, 2009, 06:51:09 PM »
hey everyone. i bought the tracker i was talkin bout. i have to say i absolutly love this thing. i do have a few questions bout it though. some are probably frequent or common but im sorry im new to this.
the first one actually pertains to the top. its a hard top, and i dont beleive thefront part is correct. it doesnt clip on properly, it actually tried to take flight a few times, and succeeded today, but was unharmed. it doesnt seal correctly, and moves around alot. my mother also has one but it fits perfectly and looks the same underneath but diffrent externally. if can get pictures i will.
i was alsowonderingif its true that 235/75/r15s will fit with no rub, cause it could use some new tires. im looking at the pep boys m/t s i can get them in that size and they will fit. i think i seen that sombody had those in there little sig deal. they any good?
other than that i gotta finnd a rear seat any ideas? thank in advance sorry bout the pesky newbie questions.

Offline homer74

Re: tracker ?s newbie
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 08:48:44 PM »
samurai rear seat should work. although you can make any seat work with a little planning.

Offline bbagwell

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 07:54:18 AM »
235 75 R15's fit my girlfriends 99 Tracker without rubbing.
2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara
1983 Toyota PU

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 04:15:09 PM »
sorry havent stopped back here too much lately. i figured out what im gonna do for seats in the back i think. i think im gonna buy some high back adjustble equipment seats from tractor supply and use them. if 235s will fit im gonna shoot for them as soon as i get my income tax. cause i got little p205s now and they definatly dont handle mud or snow well. cant wait to lift this thing to, cause they get hung up in ruts pretty bad apparently,lol.

Offline jeff1997

• Suzuki: A Jeep thing only cheaper!!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 07:24:47 PM »
Using my coil spacer lift you can get 245/75's under it. Just putting it out there.
1997 4dr. Sidekick Sport 1.8L DOHC
2" coil spacers- I make and sell 1.5" and 2" on e-bay.  Look under seller: hoepkers
3" Masterkit1 body lift
Custom strut spacers
31/11.50/16 Super Swamper LTB's w/1.5" wheel spacers Steel bumpers Custom cold air intake 2" exhaust w/cherry bomb 98 Expedition, 2" lift, 35's, Magnaflow exhaust - BIG BLUE

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 07:32:40 PM »
your the guy that sells em on ebay right, i think. i like what you got up there, and i see you offer a 2 inch kit, is there any issues with cv angles and what not with that? cause it definatly caught my attention, and you may have a future customer.

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 03:39:34 PM »
i was alsowonderingif its true that 235/75/r15s will fit with no rub, cause it could use some new tires. im looking at the pep boys m/t s i can get them in that size and they will fit. i think i seen that sombody had those in there little sig deal. they any good/

I don't know who that could be  ::)

And yes, they're awesome. Any tire you get will be a compromise between on and off street, as well as different off-road conditions (snow, mud, rock, sand....). I think the Dakota M/T's are the perfect blend between all these areas. Because I love mud, I got them - if you don't plan on running in mud, then an all terrain tire (instead of mud terrain) might be better for you (and Dakota has a good A/T as well). You may have some frame rub lock to lock, but it will be very little. For another $200, you can go with Jeff's spacer lift and have a very capable DD / weekend warrior.

For more info on the tires, search using my name and "Dakota" - and you'll see the thread on my lift & tires.
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 04:10:52 PM »
yeah im definatly a mud guy. im new to the zuki stuff, but not to new to the off road world. i normally am into fullsize ford but, ive been driving the traker for about a week now and its just plain more fun, and im not getting 9 miles to the gallon lol. my old f250 was alotta fun till the frame let go. i had a mild lift in that, actually a leveling kit, and 245/70/r16 mtr's that i got used but almost new for no joke 80 bucks mounted and balanced and loved them other than they loaded up bad in sticky mud. if the dakotas are good then i think they are good deal from what ive heard, aliittle rub isnt a big deal to me, i just dont wanna be cuttin em up on the fenders. as far as comprimise goes, im the type of person that if there is a dirt road that leads to my destination and paved, i take pick the dirt every time,find more spots to wheel that way lol. thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

Offline zukizuki07

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 04:19:27 PM »
your the guy that sells em on ebay right, i think. i like what you got up there, and i see you offer a 2 inch kit, is there any issues with cv angles and what not with that? cause it definatly caught my attention, and you may have a future customer.
jeffs spacers will keep your cv's at a safe angle, good products, and prices.
96 2 Door Tracker
4 door springs, Calmini 3"BL , Trailtough Mini spool , 31's
Plans: Jeffs  diff spacer, bumpers, smittybuilt 8k winch and XL7 iron Diff. housing swap

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 04:21:33 PM »
'08 Yamaha FZ6

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 06:22:35 PM »
well now i have plan for tires and alittle lift that hopfully prevent me from gettin hooked up to a yota again. thanks. i got anther question though, my front inner wheel wells have some rot in the edges where the well meets the body structure, does dramatically reduce the structural integrety of these things? i have this thing about rot and structure since i snappped the frame rail on that ford. i put close to 1500 in parts in it  2 weeks before it happened so im more cautious now, if it should be repaired for strength ill have my brother weld in some patches. i plan on repairing it, but is it somthin that i should do immiedietly? thanks again

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 09:23:32 PM »
The quicker you stop rust, the better. But, as long as the frame & areas where the body mount to the frame are good, the structure should be okay.
'08 Yamaha FZ6

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 02:29:52 AM »
its outta north carolina, and the frame looks like its brand new. the body on has rust in areas where moisture wouldve collected it seems. the last year punched on the inspection sticker for nc, is 05. and it was never registered here in ct, so im sure it sat somwheres for a while. i was worried more less about the strut causing it to come apart.

Offline Ira88888

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 05:14:05 AM »
Hillbilly, I went up to 235/75/15 with Jeff's spacers and it's been working great. (I have no concept of time as I get older, but I guess it's been about a year. Maybe more.)

Has anyone posted a link to the thread with pictures about flipping those front strut mounts?  I'll try to look for it in a second.

I put the Crown Victoria rear shocks on mine (you have to replace the stock shocks with longer ones), but there was a mistake in the instructions about the mounting bolts and holes as it concerned my vehicle:

You're supposed to keep the OLD inset nuts/sleeves (don't know what else to call them) that sit in the holes of the old shock, because otherwise, the old bolt is too narrow for the NEW shock, and it would rattle around a little. And the NEW bolts that come with the new shock are too wide to fit into the existing mounting holes in the truck--and there's like zero margin for error allowing you to expand the existing holes.

I'm trying to remember EXACTLY what happened with mine, but I think that the old sleeves/insets were actually too BIG for the new shock hole and there was no way you could bang them in there. Fortunately, my mechanic had something on hand that did the trick.

I seem to be the only one that had this problem, so maybe it's a weird thing with my particular year, and the fact that mine's Canadian-made.

Anyway, it's not that big a job at all, but that's easy for me to see since I had someone ELSE do it. (I'm spastic.) Took him about 2 hours, and the hardest part for me was finding the right bolts to replace the old ones in the front strut mounts, and for my mechanic to cut and punch out these old bolts. Yeah, playing with springs and spring spacers is no picnic either, but everyone eventually gets it done.

Finally, you'll still get a rub when you hammer it 100% left or right, but in a vehicle this small, you hardly ever have to do that!

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 08:06:30 AM »
i been lookin around the forum posts a little an read about the flipping the strut mount and the crown vic shocks somwheres. didnt see nothin on the shock bolts though so thank you