Hello Guest

weber carb automatic choke problem

• 4 Replies

Offline 4x4doug

weber carb automatic choke problem
« on: December 30, 2008, 10:26:53 PM »
i have a weber carb with an automatic choke but for some reason the choke wont close I'm thinking i might have hooked up the wire wrong. it is in an 86 samurai, i have tryed all that i could think of and i am running out of ideas, if you can think of something i am willing to try it.

Offline rascott

• tread lightly monkeywrench a little
Re: weber carb automatic choke problem
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 05:44:19 AM »
is the wire you hook up hot only when the ignition is on?
is the choke set to be closed when cold? before turning on ignition and warming up that little heater in the choke?
i'm sure you checked for gummed up linkage........
mabe the choke lever is not hooked to that bimetalic spring inside the choke?
one more- there must be some resistance to ground thru the heater element... i don't know the value, but a check w/an OHM meter may show an open circuit thru the element. replacement couldn't(shouldn't) cost much.
i went simple- manual choke.
'89 kick w/little motor, still got pieces of jeff's pucks, stan's sticks into 4.24:1 tcase, 31x10.5x15's, rear lockrite, kick power steering, some radios(kj6esv), bmw seat, other changes just because. done on the cheap.
suzi the psychic gets me fishing.

Offline 4x4doug

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 08:24:24 PM »
is the wire you hook up hot only when the ignition is on?
is the choke set to be closed when cold? before turning on ignition and warming up that little heater in the choke?
i'm sure you checked for gummed up linkage........
mabe the choke lever is not hooked to that bimetalic spring inside the choke?
one more- there must be some resistance to ground thru the heater element... i don't know the value, but a check w/an OHM meter may show an open circuit thru the element. replacement couldn't(shouldn't) cost much.
i went simple- manual choke.
umm well the choke is open all the time even when the car is off and i checked for gummed up links and how would i set it i am new to carbs im just trying not to screw anything up on it to bad

Offline rascott

• tread lightly monkeywrench a little
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 11:13:30 PM »
my theory is that if it's already broke, how bad can i screw it up?
i think you could explore this without doing much damage.
i haven't worked on an electric choke in a long time- some weber documentation could be helpful.
the choke spring/heater is where the wire hooks up. some screws hold it in place and allow adustment by rotating the spring housing. clockwise (i think) should make the choke want to close, as the spring acts against the choke lever inside.
i think you can take it off and look inside as see how it works. heater coil turns on w/ignition and warms up spring which expands and starts to open choke.
does this make sense? 
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 11:15:40 PM by rascott »
'89 kick w/little motor, still got pieces of jeff's pucks, stan's sticks into 4.24:1 tcase, 31x10.5x15's, rear lockrite, kick power steering, some radios(kj6esv), bmw seat, other changes just because. done on the cheap.
suzi the psychic gets me fishing.

Offline 4x4doug

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 04:28:31 PM »
k ya thanks i will take another look at it and See if i can completely make sense of it all