Hello Guest

what can i do to my 1.3L to get max performance with least cost?

• 13 Replies

Offline 4x4doug

what can i do to my 1.3L to get max performance with least cost?
« on: December 30, 2008, 09:57:10 PM »
i have an 86 samurai with the stick 1.3L in it, right now it has a 2 barrel automatic weber carb in it and i am looking to upgrade as much of my engine as i can with the least cost. i just wanna know anything and everything i can do to max the performance of my engine and if their are things i can make myself it would be best because i am a really short on cash

Offline norcalwreckchaser

• www.norcalwreckchasers.ning.com
Re: what can i do to my 1.3L to get max performance with least cost?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 12:01:50 AM »
I have sort of the same dilemma, I live in the People's Republik of Kalifornia and all I can do/did were simple bolt on mods.
1st. Replaced stock airfilter with K&N
2nd. Doug Thorley Header with high flow cat and 3 chamber Flowmaster muffler.

Thats all, didn't notice any improvement at all with the airfilter, but the exhaust mod really woke my 1.3 up especially in the mid range, which is nice when you need that extra uumph getting through or over something.
86' Samurai, 5" spua lift, rear missing links, 4.57 gears, 4 to 1 Transfer Case, Lockrights F/R, ARB Front bumper, Doug Thorley Header, Rock Rails, GM alt. swap and other Misc. goodies.
Sold 7/10 :(

Offline 4x4doug

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 12:33:09 AM »
I have sort of the same dilemma, I live in the People's Republik of Kalifornia and all I can do/did were simple bolt on mods.
1st. Replaced stock airfilter with K&N
2nd. Doug Thorley Header with high flow cat and 3 chamber Flowmaster muffler.

Thats all, didn't notice any improvement at all with the airfilter, but the exhaust mod really woke my 1.3 up especially in the mid range, which is nice when you need that extra uumph getting through or over something.

how much money did the header and mufler come to?

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 02:43:00 AM »
Major tuneup. Seriously. Nnot just plugs & wires. Replace ALL fluids, diffs, t-case etc, valve adjustment. Download the FSM, and go from one end of the engine to the other checking everything you can, and replace / clean / repair everything that fails the tests the FSM lays out. It'll take you all day, but a maintained engine is a happy engine.

Then, and only then, look into bolt on go-fast parts. Cat back exhaust is the biggest bang for the buck (2 1/4" is most popular) - consider asking a local muffler shop for a used / clean V6 muffler (people frequently take their brand new car straight to the muffler shop & get new pipes). Do a search for "Snorkel" for a cheap CAI. Header is good, but a bit of a diminishing return - I'd do a re-ground cam first (1/2 the price).
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline 4x4doug

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 08:06:59 PM »
Major tuneup. Seriously. Nnot just plugs & wires. Replace ALL fluids, diffs, t-case etc, valve adjustment. Download the FSM, and go from one end of the engine to the other checking everything you can, and replace / clean / repair everything that fails the tests the FSM lays out. It'll take you all day, but a maintained engine is a happy engine.

Then, and only then, look into bolt on go-fast parts. Cat back exhaust is the biggest bang for the buck (2 1/4" is most popular) - consider asking a local muffler shop for a used / clean V6 muffler (people frequently take their brand new car straight to the muffler shop & get new pipes). Do a search for "Snorkel" for a cheap CAI. Header is good, but a bit of a diminishing return - I'd do a re-ground cam first (1/2 the price).
i have a weber carb with the filter that sits on top now how do i snorkel it?

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
'08 Yamaha FZ6

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 08:47:29 AM »

What is the FMS ?

Offline norcalwreckchaser

• www.norcalwreckchasers.ning.com
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 09:08:31 AM »

how much money did the header and mufler come to?

I think I spent less than $400 for everything, installed the header myself and had a muffler shop do the rest. I'm sure if you poke around Ebay or CL you can find a used header and do it all for a bit less.
86' Samurai, 5" spua lift, rear missing links, 4.57 gears, 4 to 1 Transfer Case, Lockrights F/R, ARB Front bumper, Doug Thorley Header, Rock Rails, GM alt. swap and other Misc. goodies.
Sold 7/10 :(

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 12:08:35 PM »
FSM = Factory Service Manual
'08 Yamaha FZ6

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 08:23:14 AM »
Is there a name or model number for the parts below that were mentioned;

Cat back exhaust is the biggest bang for the buck (2 1/4" is most popular)

Consider asking a local muffler shop for a used / clean V6 muffler

"Snorkel" for a cheap CAI.

I was looking to get a Flowmaster muffler as that made a big difference on my truck with a K&N filter kit.

Offline RHodge

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 10:20:22 AM »
I think 2 1\4 is big for a stock motor with a header I,m running 2" and have no problems with flow and still has good lowend power,

by the pic in your avatar I guess your samurai is still stock so headers and exhaust is a good start. If the motor is in good condition you might think about a cam as well, that way when/if you start to put bigger tyres on your rig you'll be ahead of the game

Ryan 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 10:24:44 AM by RHodge »

Offline Bigzook

• Current owner of the famous Audi Kick
    • Donkey Worx Galleries
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 11:39:46 AM »
X2 I used to work at a exhaust shop and tried everything. Best thing I found for a 1.3 was a good header, 2" pipe and a cheapo turbo muffler. The Flowmaster wont give you any more H.P. where you need it, and it is VERY loud at cruise.

Offline JayN

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 12:37:49 PM »
i have a header and a flowmaster with no cat. mine is not loud at all and by far the best sounding 1.3 i have heard. a cheap tubro muffler is just as it sounds.cheap.

96 sport, safari rack, lift
1970 gmc truck
1950 dodge truck
1974 corolla

Offline 4x4doug

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 04:25:05 PM »
I think 2 1\4 is big for a stock motor with a header I,m running 2" and have no problems with flow and still has good lowend power,

by the pic in your avatar I guess your samurai is still stock so headers and exhaust is a good start. If the motor is in good condition you might think about a cam as well, that way when/if you start to put bigger tyres on your rig you'll be ahead of the game

Ryan 
ya that is what it looked like when i first got it i don't have a more recent pic yet but other than the carb and the body ya it is still stock