Hello Guest

98 4door Suzuki Sidekick sport 1.8l help plz

• 21 Replies

Offline Dennis .89-

• I Owe I Owe, So Off To Work I Go!!
98 4door Suzuki Sidekick sport 1.8l help plz
« on: December 21, 2008, 09:14:40 PM »
Hi, I'm new to the off roading world but would love to get into it
i am only 18 atm but a dirt biker for 15 years.
my dad bought me my first vehicle ( 98 Sidekick sport 4door 1.8l )
Since i got this i feel in love with the design, the way it handles on snow, ice & mud.
so me & my dad decided to to make 2 1/2" spacers & it worked wonderfully !!
well fairly easily since my dads a machinist & I'm currently a millwright.

Since then i bought some cheap used 235,70/16's tires.
im thinking of going allot further, but don't know where to start.
In my discoveries i have found out that lockers might be very useful.
i also was wondering why most of the zuki's get Toyota's axle's?
is it because of the locker's strength is to much for the stock zuki axle?

Thnx, Dennis

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
Re: 98 4door Suzuki Sidekick sport 1.8l help plz
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 01:01:43 AM »
Toy's are popular because they're much stronger than stock (important if you're going to 33"+ tires, or if you abuse the truck on 31"+ tires), and it opens up diff-gearing options. I'm very pleased with my 4-door on 29" tires and open diffs. I can go in all but the hardest (read: Rubicon crazy rock crawling) trails. If I need more traction, I'm going to go with lockers long before I consider more lift & tires. The bigger the tires you get, the more you'll be chasing "weak links"... which means more $$$ and less reliability.

/end my 2 cents
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline jeff1997

• Suzuki: A Jeep thing only cheaper!!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 03:17:24 PM »
Looks good! Nice to see you made the lift. I make them also to sell so it's nice to see guys make their own stuff. My 97 Sport looked just like yours. Here's what it looks like now.

1997 4dr. Sidekick Sport 1.8L DOHC
2" coil spacers- I make and sell 1.5" and 2" on e-bay.  Look under seller: hoepkers
3" Masterkit1 body lift
Custom strut spacers
31/11.50/16 Super Swamper LTB's w/1.5" wheel spacers Steel bumpers Custom cold air intake 2" exhaust w/cherry bomb 98 Expedition, 2" lift, 35's, Magnaflow exhaust - BIG BLUE

Offline Dennis .89-

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 06:05:07 PM »
thnx for the advice ill take it into consideration
but i was looking at some lockers
made my Warn?
um dose any one know if these are a good brand or if they
know of another brand that's exceptionally good that they prefer
and I'm thinking of the 3" body lift by masterkit1

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 07:17:37 PM »
After building a couple trackers now, I'm still very happy with the 29" tires. Unless you jump all the way up to 35" tires, it's hard to get correct gearing, and the 1.6L just has a hard time turning anything larger than 29" with the weight of the 4-door. The only gearing options right now are:
* The ultra rare 5.38 diff gears
* Toyota or Dana 44 axles (I think they go up to the 5.71 and 5.8x respectively)
* The Samurai t-case (The ONLY transfer case out there that gives high and low range reduction! Happens to be 1.4:1 which is perfect for a 35/37" tire)

The Samurai T-case can be added behind your tracker t-case for a dual case setup (the sami case would be your "main" t-case, and the tracker one would act like a doubler for low low crawl), or you can source a 2wd transmission, and slap on the sami case to that. RockRat makes an adaptor for the dual-case setup, or you can make your own: http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,23639.0.html

Warn hubs aren't as strong as the Aisin (stock) hubs: http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/218795-warn-vs-aisin-hubs.html

Body lifts are cheap & easy. But, they don't provide any additional ground clearance between the frame & the ground... all the while they lift the center of gravity. I don't like raising the center of gravity without getting more frame clearance. Cut the wheel wells or bang around the inside fender wells if you need to make more room (called virtual lift). Done right this looks clean, clears room for bigger tires, and doesn't raise your CG.

But trust me on the 29" tires... if you don't get a larger engine, or proper gearing, you'll be hating life. Just depends on what you want really though. If you want to...
* Look pretty: Lift away & get bigger tires
* Wheel better: Stay at 29" tires, get 4.21:1 Rockmonster low-range gears & lock the diffs (welded, spool, LockRite, or ARB - DO NOT use EZlockers as they grenade easily in zooks)

Either route will cost you the same. One will make dudes look at you and say, "something cool here" and the ladies will say, "I wonder what he's over compensating for" - the other will make guys with big tires & lifts cry when you drive around them in the rocks.
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline huntinhick

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 07:42:54 PM »
jeff1997,

I admit it you have me drooling,  you have your 97sport set up just like I envision my 97 sport (well I would like a winch as I am stuck prone).  I would love to pick your brain.  I hate getting all excited about a bumper or something and finding out it is not for the sport.......did you make that front skidplate.  dennis, that is one of the painful things I am finding out about my sport is that alot of parts don't fit because it is wider or do to the 1.8L motor not that I am complaining I have had a 99 tracker and this is better.
97 sidekick sport, stock but aspires to be aftermarket tuff

Offline jeff1997

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 08:33:44 PM »
Yes I made the skidplate and the bumpers. I now have an 8000 lb winch with amsteel rope on it. I need to update the pics. I just finished my bumpers when the winch deal came along so i had to hack into the front but it turned out OK. Jeremiah is right, the 29's are about max, I run 31-11.5's and it is a DOG.
2" coil spacers- I make and sell 1.5" and 2" on e-bay.  Look under seller: hoepkers
3" Masterkit1 body lift
Custom strut spacers
31/11.50/16 Super Swamper LTB's w/1.5" wheel spacers Steel bumpers Custom cold air intake 2" exhaust w/cherry bomb 98 Expedition, 2" lift, 35's, Magnaflow exhaust - BIG BLUE

Offline Dennis .89-

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 08:36:26 PM »
welll i didn't want go past 31" tires. I did want to get to the 31" because for 29 "
tires i cant find a big selection and all i see ore 30-40+ selection. I also need a body lift
because when my tire comes up its really close to touching already and if i try and get 31"
they will rub for sure. with the body lift im scared that it will rub when turning which my
29's do now, although its the last 5% of my turning compasity.

Also i figured the lockers, 31", some spare rims, and a 10K winch, a homemade bumper,
would be a nice start to things. I'm well on my way with my project i even built a trialer
and installed all the brake lights/signals, over the summer which is mainly for dirt bikes.
(& looks just hilarious behind, because the trailer is way longer then my Zuki.)

Offline huntinhick

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 09:03:17 PM »
Well I have the 5 speed manual with the 1.8 so I hope the 235s or 29s will not slow me down too much or kill my gas mileage a bit is not bad but i would lobe to stay above 24 if possible.  I am working on a trailer for my rig as well mainly for camping gear iy is 3x4 and I plan on it looking like a mini military trailer like the pull behind the hummers.  I am going to have a double jerry can holder on the trailer maybe on the back or one per side. I am going to make a rack for it so we can put our kayaks or extra gear on it.  I plan on either getting wheel adapters to run the ssame rims and tires on the trailer so my spare will work all around.  I may but the spare and recovery tools on the trailer rack.  Jeff how hard was it to make the skid plates?  and what did you use?  it looks like dimond plate 

Offline Dennis .89-

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 09:24:38 PM »
i have been looking for tires for a while well since i got my Zuki and
i read in a bunch of forums and people were liking the new
BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2
any one have there opinion or any suggestions I think about
225/75/16  size should be the furthest i want to get.

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 11:39:44 PM »
29" aren't advertised as 29", look for the 235/70r15 (which is 29"). I have the Dakota M/T from Pep Boys and love them. They're great for a DD / weekend warrior. Swampers (TSL I think - I get them mixed up) sells a 29" that's inexpensive, but it leans more towards off-road, and handles less well on-road. Just depends on what you're looking for. Tires are all about compromise - decide what wheeling you want to do, and we can recommend shoes for you baby.
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline jeff1997

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 02:01:10 PM »
huntinhick, yes that is 1/8" diamond plate steel. It was not very hard to make. I have a 10' sheer, 10' CNC brake press and any other fab or machine shop tool at my disposal.  8)
3" Masterkit1 body lift
Custom strut spacers

Offline Dennis .89-

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 06:32:42 PM »
the 98 sidekick 4 door cantr have 15" rims unless i take out disks and replace them
in front because 16" just barly fit over caliper i tried my self i was pissed like hell
because 15" rim tires are half the price (not technically) but i mean alot cheaper
and easier to find. but i think mine right now are 225/75/16 which is a fairly good size
but they do rub in the last 5% of my turn which kinda gets annoying when drifting
of playing on snow/ice.

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 06:44:11 PM »
* correction!

I should have said 235/75r15 = 29"
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline huntinhick

• I Love ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2008, 06:59:19 PM »
Jeff,

I was looking at your rig again and i would love to know what kind of rack that is, and is it hard mounted or does it hook to a roof rack with bars?