Hello Guest

Samurai U Joint Question

• 4 Replies

Offline MacZuki

Samurai U Joint Question
« on: December 16, 2008, 05:34:35 PM »
So do I have a U-joint going out or what ?

As I drive it makes no noise whatsoever until you let off the gas, and right as it is in that "Coast" mode just prior to the de-compression it rattles like its going to GERDADE.

The other weird thing is its louder in 4x4 mode vs 4x2 mode.

OK second question. Stock U Joint vs the aftermarket U Joint.

Rocky Mt sells a greesable U-joint for $16.00
Trail Tough sells the stock one for $54.00  OUCH.

Ok not really ouch but has anyone used one of these $16.00 R Mt part vs the stock.
Brett (trailtough) states They are not cheap but when you get tired of breaking and replacing those short-lived aftermarket ones and you have torn up a few spendy driveshafts, these u-joints will end your woes and last for years! These are the only ones WE will use!

just want to here it from someone with no intrest in selling the parts.

Thanks.
Whats That ?
Well then go get your tow strap, and Ill be happy to take You and your Jeep to places you've only heard about.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
Re: Samurai U Joint Question
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 05:43:28 PM »
Sounds like a u-joint to me.  When you are on the throttle you are putting pressure on it and it's binding up.  That is why it only makes noise when you let off the gas.  My truck did the same thing.

Replace the u-joints on both ends of the drive-shaft at the same time.  Otherwise the older one will go out and take out the new one at the same time down the road.

The stock ones are worth it.  The after market ones just don't seem to last as long.  However we have also had good luck with the Mitsubishi u-joints vs the stock ones.  They seem to last just as long and are only half the price.  I don't have the part number handy though.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline MacZuki

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 06:23:22 PM »
Sounds like a u-joint to me.  When you are on the throttle you are putting pressure on it and it's binding up.  That is why it only makes noise when you let off the gas.  My truck did the same thing.

Replace the u-joints on both ends of the drive-shaft at the same time.  Otherwise the older one will go out and take out the new one at the same time down the road.

The stock ones are worth it.  The after market ones just don't seem to last as long.  However we have also had good luck with the Mitsubishi u-joints vs the stock ones.  They seem to last just as long and are only half the price.  I don't have the part number handy though.

NICE Thanks Drone637.....I know you dont have a part #, But any idea of the mitsubishi model and year ?
Whats That ?
Well then go get your tow strap, and Ill be happy to take You and your Jeep to places you've only heard about.

Offline Spitfire Rick

• fun lovin criminal
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 06:41:01 PM »
Ive had a similar noise from my ft drive shaft slip yokeit was really worn  no noise in 2wd but rattled alot in 4wd when letting off power
If I have to understand don't bother explaining

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 10:27:54 AM »
True, it could be drive-line as well.  I would replace the u-joints first though, it's a lot easier.

I checked with zuk88 who usually orders them, he doesn't know the part number either.  But Trail Tough sells them for $25 apiece.
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing