Hello Guest

how do i soften the ride of the Calmini 3inch lift?

• 19 Replies

Offline Jookycola

• 1995 Tracker LSi 4x4 16v 2-door
    • My car domain site for the tracker.
how do i soften the ride of the Calmini 3inch lift?
« on: December 07, 2008, 11:09:37 AM »
This sort of goes hand and hand with the other post i did where my buddy needs to replace the shocks and struts of a calmini lift that came on a used track kick he just bought.  But Since this isn't me asking what off the shelf hardware can i buy to replace exsisting parts I figured i'd start another one.

Simply put i want to lift my kick 3 inches.  I've been wanting to do this forever.  I love off roading and have trailed the living hell out of all my suzuki rigs since my first Samurai in 1988.  But i have super babied this current rig since i bought it in 2003.  it's a very clean 1995 tracker LSi, and have decided that i will not go all road warrior on it (i will keep it with stock bumpers, and no fender cutting).  I want to lift it just to give it that awesome tough look.  It kills me to say that because it sounds so wannabe'ish...but i'm sorry the stock ride hieght just screams Grandmas Geo.

Since this is my daily driver, i will need a better quality of ride than the stiff hardware Calmini supplys.  I'm not sure I'm quite committed enough to invest in OME.  They are a very good product but they are still very profesional grade off road units, and over kill for a vehicle that at it's worst will only see duty on a dirt road.  (sorry i plan to keep this rig till it's a collector peice...if ever, LOL)

So the question is how can soften that harsh Calmini ride?  how have you guys tinkered with it at all to achive a near or complete "ride like stock" feel?  I've heard some say all they did was change the rear shocks.  Is that all i really need?  Since the the calmini 3 inch lift still uses stock sized struts...or do they?
  [/url]

Offline skitime

Re: how do i soften the ride of the Calmini 3inch lift?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 11:59:54 AM »
Yes, you could use your stock front struts in a Calmini suspension system.  You would still have the stiffer longer front springs to get the 3 " lift.  The springs  will soften with time if you are willing to put up with them till then.  I have tried just about everything and currently I am running the Calmini 3" suspension lift with OME struts, shocks and springs.  I do have a broken in set of front Calmini springs if interested. I found I had to cut the 3" rear Calmini springs for my 2 door to get the proper height.  I had used a set of Calmini 2" rear springs with good results till one of the springs broke.

Offline olija

• Check out my cardomain
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 12:23:26 PM »
If you put wider offset wheels on, it will soften up the front because you get more leverage on the spring through the a-arm.
97 Sidekick 4door 5 speed, 1.5 spacer lift, 2" body lift, CJ rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low <SOLD>
01 Vitara 2.0L 5 speed, 2.5" Calmini lift, 2" body lift, Sidekick rims, locked rear, 31's, 4:1 low, 5.13 diffs <SOLD>
03 XL7 2.7 5 speed, 4.5" AE lift with OME springs, 2" AE body lift, 5.13 diffs, 3:1 low, 235/80R17 BFG AT's on Ultra 17x8 with 1" spacers, skid plates, Balmer Fab front bumper

Offline Jookycola

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 12:52:17 PM »
If you put wider offset wheels on, it will soften up the front because you get more leverage on the spring through the a-arm.

That's excellent news because i do have a wider offset.
  [/url]

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 06:36:55 PM »
I'm running the OME setup, and it made my street driving WAY better. Much softer ride on and off road. I run on street, fire roads, mildly difficult trails, snow, jump it in the sand... It's WELL worth the money. Only 1.5" of lift, but... if you really want 3", you can slap on a body lift (I don't like 'em, but they're cheap) or small spacer lift.

Once you drive OME, you won't want anything else. And, you can find them new for $700 - used for 1/3 that if you watch ebay & the message boards.
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline cj

• I drive a really big ATV
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 11:46:17 AM »
I know it's not cheap but seeing as you want to keep this for a long time and want a good ride, go with the Old Man Emu. IMHO it actually rides and handles better than the stock setup. As mentioned increasing the track width will also help, so will larger rubber, Apart from the lift of the Calmini 3", the spring rates are also a lot higher than a standard swb to cope with a lot of accessories so the ride can be pretty harsh without them all fitted.

Offline RJkick

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 01:21:04 PM »
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=444978

This is the best bang for your buck I think
92 Sidekick 1.6L 16v Calmini\OME 4.5" lift 3" Body Lift OME962 springs in front w\.75" spacers OME955 in rear w\1.75" spacers Extreme Duty Strut Eliminator kit and rear ProComp MX6 Shocks 31X10.50 Nexen M\T   Thorley Header   2" exhaust  Calmini front truss bar and stabilizer and skids   Custom Bumpers and Rock Rails  Limit Straps

Offline Jookycola

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 01:32:17 PM »
rjkick that is exactly perfect.  thanks for the great find.
  [/url]

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 02:38:46 PM »
rjkick that is exactly perfect.  thanks for the great find.

Exact same setup I have / was talking about. Get it from: http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/kicksuspension.htm for $700. It's the bees knees. Don't forget to check ebay / for sale section if you're into used stuff.
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 03:25:31 PM »
 ;) All I have to do to "soften " the ride with Calmini Coils is drive 'em in these Jersey forest whoops, they're killer on coils. This is my third set and they're collapsed again, 1 year old.  Try whoops, that'll soften them!
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline Uncivilized

• Car Domain
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 04:10:11 PM »
Another option is Boondox Motorsports 2.5" and 3" lift coils. They have a similar spring rate to stock(450ppi)

FYI - The OME 962's are 540ppi. I "personally" wouldn't choose these for a softer ride, I'd stick with their light duty 4 door springs(OME 960 |removethispart|@ 440ppi) and use a .5" coil spacer to get almost 3" lift.

Offline Jookycola

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 06:24:27 PM »
I was under the impression Boondox went under, the site has not been updated in over a year.  Shame too because they are local for me and was a good company
  [/url]

Offline RJkick

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 02:36:57 PM »
;) All I have to do to "soften " the ride with Calmini Coils is drive 'em in these Jersey forest whoops, they're killer on coils. This is my third set and they're collapsed again, 1 year old.  Try whoops, that'll soften them!

I have been beating my coils in the whoops of the SoCal desert and I like the front as it holds up well but the rear binds on me.  I was told by Calmini to get a gas shock but that doesn't seem right.  I'm hoping RockRat is able to get his 7" suspension lift available to us soon

http://bbs.zuwharrie.com/content/topic,85641.0.html
92 Sidekick 1.6L 16v Calmini\OME 4.5" lift 3" Body Lift OME962 springs in front w\.75" spacers OME955 in rear w\1.75" spacers Extreme Duty Strut Eliminator kit and rear ProComp MX6 Shocks 31X10.50 Nexen M\T   Thorley Header   2" exhaust  Calmini front truss bar and stabilizer and skids   Custom Bumpers and Rock Rails  Limit Straps

Offline bentparts

• I'd rather be Blown AND Injected.
    • mikekallie's flickr photos
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 01:20:14 PM »
I guess mine's just too heavy in the front for Calmini's.
The usual stuff, and 2nd generation Air to liquid intercooled TURBOCHARGER

Offline MUD CHILD

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 07:46:32 PM »
I went through 2 sets of Calmini coils in 8 months, the are CRAP!!! I replaced them with a set of coils from FOA and at the same time installed OME struts. All I can say is WOW what a difference!!!
NO DITCH TO DEEP NO HILL TO STEEP

http://srcustoms.ca/