Hello Guest

Weber 38/38. Install and Stall Question.

• 10 Replies

Offline MacZuki

Weber 38/38. Install and Stall Question.
« on: December 07, 2008, 09:34:13 AM »
So the question is this, Im installing a 38/38 onto my modified 1.3
this is just a Toy for me, yet I want to drive it down the road as well as up the next trail with no issues.

So Im just trying to understand this Bowl to Firewall or Bowl to Radiator thing, and now im a bit confused ::)

I installed it last week with the throttle linkage facing the Firewall and the fuel intake at the Radiator as pictured here.

Is this in the correct direction ???. My theroy here, is if this is going to stall out. I DONT want it stalling while needing power to transverse UP a hill, But rather while going down a hill.

Also,  Ive been told to set the bowl floats at 19mm. How do I do this ?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 09:39:53 AM by MacZuki »
Whats That ?
Well then go get your tow strap, and Ill be happy to take You and your Jeep to places you've only heard about.

Offline IHBP

Re: Weber 38/38. Install and Stall Question.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 11:11:06 AM »
the way you have it now is bowls to the radiator. the float bowl of the weber is on the side of the carb that has the fuel line hooked to it. Sharp lookin under the hood wish I could find one that clean.

Offline MacZuki

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 07:48:53 PM »
OK, but i still need to know if its on correctly, and I need to know how to adjust the floats to the 19mm. also need to know if this info is correct.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 11:55:26 AM by MacZuki »
Whats That ?
Well then go get your tow strap, and Ill be happy to take You and your Jeep to places you've only heard about.

Offline MacZuki

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 06:37:08 PM »
BUMP  ;)
Whats That ?

Offline MacZuki

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 04:45:30 PM »
WHAT DO YOU GUY'S OWE ME MONEY OR SOMTHING OR WHAT ??? :laugh: :laugh:
I feel like I'm on the IGNORE List.  :-\

I know someone has to know the answer to this.
Bowl to the radiator or Firewall to keep it from stalling while going UP a hill.
Whats That ?

Offline rascott

• tread lightly monkeywrench a little
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 07:20:07 PM »
sorry man, i have an opinion, but do not have that carb.
the design looks like my 32/36 and others from the past.
when mounted like yours, it tended to flood on steep climb. the fuel spills into the carb.
some of this was cured by lowering the float and limiting it's drop, but real steep still could stutter.
i turned it around.
climbs fine, drives great.
it can flood a little going down sometimes, but i can live with it.
you have been running yours? how's the power/response?
played w/jetting?
check out the float- you should be able to set both level and drop by bending those tabs.
you should play with it a bit.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 08:11:06 PM by rascott »
'89 kick w/little motor, still got pieces of jeff's pucks, stan's sticks into 4.24:1 tcase, 31x10.5x15's, rear lockrite, kick power steering, some radios(kj6esv), bmw seat, other changes just because. done on the cheap.
suzi the psychic gets me fishing.

Offline Jeremiah

• Viva La ZUKIWORLD!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 12:14:52 AM »
I'd fix it by selling the carb on ebay, and buying a propane setup.
'96 4 door kick: 29" Pep-Boys M/T, 1.5" OME
'83 SJ410: 31" Toyo M/T, SPOA, 1.3L
'08 Yamaha FZ6

Offline Amilla

• Toyota running gear was made for a samurai!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 12:29:36 AM »
Or some sort of side draft set up, Weber's are a bit on the problematic side.  They also dont agree to angles, they tend to stall out.  Propane, Side draft, or EFI will do you loads better.

Amilla
88 Samurai, Sprung Up, Geared Down, Locked,With Yotas.

Offline ebewley

• ZUKIWORLD Online, Editor
    • ZUKIWORLD online
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 09:02:29 AM »
So the question is this, Im installing a 38/38 onto my modified 1.3
this is just a Toy for me, yet I want to drive it down the road as well as up the next trail with no issues.

So Im just trying to understand this Bowl to Firewall or Bowl to Radiator thing, and now im a bit confused ::)

I installed it last week with the throttle linkage facing the Firewall and the fuel intake at the Radiator as pictured here.

Is this in the correct direction ???. My theroy here, is if this is going to stall out. I DONT want it stalling while needing power to transverse UP a hill, But rather while going down a hill.

Also,  Ive been told to set the bowl floats at 19mm. How do I do this ?

Thanks in advance.

Hey, good news! You have the 'off-road' modified weber. It is noted by that brass 90degree elbow coming out of the float boal area and going to your charcoal cannister. Your mounting is correct as far as instructions go. Some people do 180 it from where you're at but that is just a bandaid. The best thing to do is go get a cheapo fuel regulator at an autoparts store and put it inline to the carb after your fuel pump, set it to 1.5 pounds and forget it. Next go try it out... You shouldn't have any flood-stalling... If you do, the floats are pretty easy to adjust. Come back to this thread and ask if you need to do that after testing....

There is some bad news. That carb is really too big for a 1.3 no matter how much super dooper you put into it. So you may always have some bog off the bottom and other ill mannored performance.

Good luck, Eric
Eric L. Bewley                               
Editor, ZUKIWORLD Online                   

Suzuki 4x4 Owners Association - Please Join  The ZUKIWORLD ORDER Today!
About ZUKIWORLD Online: We are an enthusiast web site dedicated to the promotion of the Suzuki Automobile as the best and most capable vehicle on the planet. We offer product reviews, Tech tips, DIY, Travel and Adventure, Forum, Technical information, Life Style, and so much more!

Offline MacZuki

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 05:00:49 PM »
Thanks Eric....... Thats what I was looking for.

Ill install the regulator and go play. It's actualy is working Great. I set it up according to SARGE'S recomendations and it solved 99% of all isues. There is still a slight "flat spot" on the low end.

Ill let you know how it does after a good hill climb
Whats That ?

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 09:25:15 AM »
I have the 32/36 and have it mounted the same way and it stalls going up hill, would not want it to stall downhill for fear of losing brakes. I installed a presure reg. and have it set at 1.5 and have little to no problems.