Hello Guest

Weber Carb Q

• 17 Replies

Offline MacZuki

Weber Carb Q
« on: November 19, 2008, 05:30:03 PM »
So I'm thinking about installing a Weber on the Sammy.

Looking for advise on which one to use.

The 38 Outlaw says it will give an extra 10hp which we all could use
I think the other is a 32/36 whatever that means.

I don't want a bunch if stalling issues. My stock carb works fine at Browns camp
on the trail we did at the zukfest 2008 a few weeks back. I was on the easier course.

I noticed that a few rigs stalled out comming up those long Ravine's. THATS WHAT I DONT WANT.

ALSO need a CAM recommendation as well. Johns engines up there in WA says a RV2 ?

Anyway some sound, knowledgeable advice would be great.

Thanks.
Whats That ?
Well then go get your tow strap, and Ill be happy to take You and your Jeep to places you've only heard about.

Offline rascott

• tread lightly monkeywrench a little
Re: Weber Carb Q
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 08:17:22 PM »
i can't speak to the 38.
i have the 32/36(bore sizing) w/manual choke and like it.
can't really notice a power increase, but it is more predictable than the stocker thing that was starting to make me wonder what was wrong with it......
i went thru the uphill flooding learning process before i figured out a bowl to the firewall, limit float drop(and lower slightly)combo that works well.
i understand the 2pc adapter is best and think it's probably true.
i use the stock fuel pump w/a pressure regulator.
used to have a few fiats with webers. kinda fond of them.
could be real fine if you are thinking cam.
jetting would be fun.
'89 kick w/little motor, still got pieces of jeff's pucks, stan's sticks into 4.24:1 tcase, 31x10.5x15's, rear lockrite, kick power steering, some radios(kj6esv), bmw seat, other changes just because. done on the cheap.
suzi the psychic gets me fishing.

Offline MacZuki

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 02:02:52 PM »

I was thinking the 38 for the increased HP. But I just dont want to install somethiing that needs constent Babysitting if you know what I mean.

I dont know anything about the two peice adapter, Whats the diffrence ?

I am thinging about a 1.6 head and an rv2 cam Any comments.
Whats That ?
Well then go get your tow strap, and Ill be happy to take You and your Jeep to places you've only heard about.

Offline rascott

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 02:22:51 PM »
i've no personal experience w/ the 2pc. mounting adapter, and am not sure |removethispart|@ adapting to a 1.6L manifold(i have a 1.3L). found out after having problems getting my 1pc adapter to fit well, but i hear they are better made, less prone to loosen up.
nice thing about webers is the ability to really tune them.
after you figure that out, you shouldn't need to mess with it.
the other mods you're talking about sound interesting and i will be looking for responses.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 07:55:09 PM by rascott »
'89 kick w/little motor, still got pieces of jeff's pucks, stan's sticks into 4.24:1 tcase, 31x10.5x15's, rear lockrite, kick power steering, some radios(kj6esv), bmw seat, other changes just because. done on the cheap.

Offline MacZuki

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 02:42:23 PM »
Yea, I had John foreign engines, up in Le Center Washington build me a new motor last year, Its bored 20 over and balanced the crank. He's trying to get me to do an 8 valve tracker head on it and an RV2 cam with the Weber. the cam and head sound OK, its just the 38 outlaw that concerns me.

I'm new to the Samurai's and bought a really nice rig from Brett at trail tough, I guess it was built for his wife, Anyway he didn't do anything to the motor got the Jeep eater kit with doetch shocks and lost links 4 something tranfer case, Hibred axles, Bla, Bla, Bla.......

Its just time to finish the motor this winter and drop it in. the stock motor is a  :laugh:

But it drives like a champ, I went to the powerfest at Brown Camp this year and it did great.

But there were a couple of Sammi's that kept stalling out, One of the drivers was cursing his weber. Thats is what brings my concern. When go out to play, I dont want any issues.
Whats That ?

Offline Hillbillydave

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 04:00:56 PM »
I just finished swapping a 1.6 8V head onto my 1.3 Sidekick. I used the 1.3 carbed intake with the 1.3 exhaust manifold, and everything bolted up perfect. Only problem I had was the 1.6 head did not have a place for the fuel pump, it was off a fuel injected motor so I had to use an electric pump. The 1.6 head had bigger exhaust valves and seems to rev easier. I do not have a weber, but I am considering building an adapter to take a Rochester 2 barrel...
'89 sidekick 1.3L 3" blue suspension parts, custom strut extensions 31x10.5 Mud Trac's on 10" rims rear fenders trimmed, lincoln locked rear, Rochester Carb on custom adapter
93 Sammy project, SPOA with 34's, 5.12's, welded, in the works

Offline MacZuki

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 07:18:11 PM »
Dave,
are you happy with the head, do you notice any performance diffrence?
Whats That ?

Offline Hillbillydave

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 07:38:52 PM »
So far I am very happy with the head. It has been down a for a couple of weeks but I am pretty sure that I have more power than I had with the other head. I highly recommend giving it a try.
'89 sidekick 1.3L 3" blue suspension parts, custom strut extensions 31x10.5 Mud Trac's on 10" rims rear fenders trimmed, lincoln locked rear, Rochester Carb on custom adapter
93 Sammy project, SPOA with 34's, 5.12's, welded, in the works

phloop

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 09:07:18 PM »
Forget the weber and go MY-SIDE, either 1 or 2. http://www.zuksoffroad.net/samurai_engine.htm below the MY-FI. If you have the $$ go MY-FI.

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 08:39:26 AM »
The MY-FI takes a lot of tuning to get to work properly.  Once it's finally running right it's a pretty cool system though.

A nice side draft will run just about as well though.  :D
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline MacZuki

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 04:52:38 PM »
Yea Ive seen those and thats not what I want.

My Problem, is I just don't have the time to be under the hood all the time or want too.
so I'm looking for some input on the Weber's. I know there a great carb (most Italian engineering is)

So I'm looking for advise on whether to go with the 32/36 with I'm not really intrested in as it adds nothing over the stock (HP that is)

I'm really looking for folks that have currently, or have in the past used the Weber 38 Outlaw.
I'm just concerned that these can be easily tuned by a professional mechanic per sea, and were done.

I just dint want the weekends filled with stress because everytime i lift the nose of the sammi, it stalls out.

Whats That ?

Offline Drone637

• Evil Cow
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 10:44:32 PM »
I just dint want the weekends filled with stress because everytime i lift the nose of the sammi, it stalls out.

Sorry, some of us get distracted pretty easily.  :P

I can't help you with the difference between the 32/36 and the 38, but I do know if you change way the bowl is mounted you can make it so it climbs fine, but will have issues going down hills sometimes.

A club member wheeled with a Sammy and a Webber setup, once it was tuned in correctly it work great.  But the stall factor was about the same as with the normal carb, especially when trying to slow crawl up hills/rocks at weird angles.  He finally grew tired of how carbs work and switched to the My-Fi
96 Geo Tracker, x-SJ-410,  x-White Rabbit, x-Project Trouble
Crawlers NorthWest
x-Trouble Racing

Offline MacZuki

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 03:40:25 PM »
Has NOBODY out here used a Weber 38 Outlaw that can give some Advise one way or the other?
Whats That ?

Offline MacZuki

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 05:10:48 PM »
REALLY ?   ???
Whats That ?

Offline rascott

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 04:41:03 PM »
i like weber carbs.
they are very basic but have replaceable jetting, so will fit almost any engine.
your rebuilder has some experience here, apparently, and you're trusting him on the rest of your build.
talk to him.
the 38 sounds bigger(to me) than it needs to be, but you are looking for performance gains, so......
i like the idea.