Hello Guest

Weber Carb Q

• 17 Replies

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
Re: Weber Carb Q
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2008, 10:15:36 AM »
You are looking to fit this on a 1.3 engine? Then you should get a good power increase from the 32/36, its significantly larger than the stock Sammy carb. A guy called Sarge was the Weber expert, maybe one of the others has contact details for him. I would have thought that the 38 was too big for a 1.3. Its also a synchronous carb so its not so good on low end pick up or economy. There is a huge thread comparing the 38 with the 32/36 in the Off-road.com archives. Its mainly related to Toyotas but IIRC Sarge does offer a good few comments based on his experiences using them on Zuks. I don't have time now to read through it and pick out the relevant bits but here is the link:

http://forums.off-road.com/engines/205097-weber-32-36dgv-verses-weber-38dges.html
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 10:29:04 AM by Rhinoman »
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline TrakJD

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 10:06:38 AM »
Take this, if you're too concerned about weber carb.  My-side is the choice.    I was hesistant at first but a guy was selling it for a really good deal, i decided to take it.  Jesus.... its way too simipler than a weber carb, and the performance is even better and i have not had it stall on me once.  I go way steep down the hill and up.  It performed very well.  its kind of like fuel injection, with no electronics.  Not like My-FI.  Im telling you, you will be happy with this.  A few more dollars more than weber (maybe less).  The tuning, is easy.  dont like how it idles, tune it.  Need bigger jet? swap it out. Getting to 60 MPH is the excitement, afterward... it functions like stock carb.  Climbs up slowly with some assistance from the WInd if you have some pushing you.   Those weber, they advertise "Improved MPG, more power"  More power is right, improved MPG.... Unless youre Sarge from MID-west area.  Its possible.  I never could get it right with Weber. 

ANyway, My-side will teach you how to drive again.  :)   Hope whatever decesions you make, will be the right one. 

Offline ack

• Professional askhole
    • Ack's FAQ
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 07:19:32 PM »
I don't know nothin' about the outlaw 38...

I DO have a sarge-prepped 32/36 on a sarge-prepped 1/3 intake that has been modified with a bit of "tilt" to reduce stalling.  I don't recall any discussion about the float issues with my unit.  I have run it for 6 years.

I get good (not spectacular) gas mileage and it never needs tinkering sessions.

Stalling has not been much of a problem.  The only time I remember stalling was on one really steep hill climb on a trail at the Badlands and one hill climb in the dunes (also at the Badlands) where I buried myself first.

Unfortunately, you can't get a new sarge-prepared Weber/intake anymore.

You also must be careful about buying a "new" Weber as many of them are Chinese knockoffs.
Ack

'88 Samurai, '88.5 Samurai TT, '11 Ford Transit Connect XLT
Ack's FAQ  http://www.acksfaq.com