Hello Guest

Another 1.3 to 1.6 conversion question

• 36 Replies

Offline SNJSamurai

• Always have fun in life never know when it can end
Another 1.3 to 1.6 conversion question
« on: November 12, 2008, 08:37:16 PM »
so im debating to put a 1.6 8v carbed in my carbed 1.3 88 samurai. i was doing some searching and notice to things and im alittle confused about  ???

you dont have to modify the head to put the 1.3 dizzy on it or you do

and the motor mounts can u use stock ones?

i have plenty of clearence i have a 3 inch body lift and 5 inch suspension lift

and any other tips would be great guys

im going to try to do it in one day
Bob
88' Samurai - 5" Lift, 3" DIY Body Lift, 31" Baja Claws, Rattle can flat green, Smittybilt Winch, Custom front bumper, 1.6 swap in progress

Offline SNJSamurai

Re: Another 1.3 to 1.6 conversion question
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 11:14:48 PM »
Ok, read on rocky road and trail tough, the kit comes with engine mount relocators.

so obviously the mounts have to be relocated but can I use 1.3 mounts or do i need 1.6 mounts. I looked at the pictures for the 1.6 and 1.3. They look the same but cost different.

I'm staying away from petroworks because I'm on a budget and I plan on doing the high clearance x-member later so the transmission mount be useless to me.

On rocky road, it says you can use your 1.3 dizzy so I answered my own question there. But I found out it needs a fuel pump. Also read in Acks F.A.Q. that I need a regulator too?

Oh should I buy intake and exhaust gaskets for a 1.3 or 1.6? Also do I need the o rings for the dizzy too?

My clutch is pretty good now but should i replace it? I know the motor will be out but its also simple to take out. So if i had to replace it later no big deal.

Thanks guys. Any of your help it would be great and very appreciated

My 1.3 is just shot and I know it won't make it this winter and my buddy that owns a junkyard says he has a sidekick with a 1.6 8v with 105k. I can have it for 200 bucks as long as i cut him a break on labor for the motor I'm building for him. 418 ford small block stroker for his 67 bronco

Bob
88' Samurai - 5" Lift, 3" DIY Body Lift, 31" Baja Claws, Rattle can flat green, Smittybilt Winch, Custom front bumper, 1.6 swap in progress

Offline SNJSamurai

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 03:29:33 PM »
can any one help me?  :'(

i know i need the 1.6 starter and alternator

Still dont know if i need 1.3 mounts or 1.6 mounts

If i need gaskets for the new dizzy

Need a adjustable F.P.R.?
Bob

phloop

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 08:37:58 PM »
Just a little help. I believe the 1.3 and 1.6 mounts are the same in mounting just that the 1.6 is a stronger mount. so your 1.3 mounts should work. Also do a search on the Dodge 318 truck mounts. And the Dist. use's O'rings not gasakets. And as you need to put an electric FP in your rig and your running a carb the FP reg is a good idea.

Offline SNJSamurai

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 09:48:52 PM »
thanks a whole lot man.

so im assuming that it takes the same o rings as the 1.3
Bob

Offline Rhinoman

• Bend it, Break it, Fix it
    • Rhinoman
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 08:00:43 AM »
I used all the 1.3 stuff and just slotted or redrilled holes to get everything to line up. I had to grind a big chunk off the back of the starter motor to get that to fit. If you use the metal water galley from the 1.3 then the hoses all hook up too. I opened out the inlet ports on the 1.3 manifold to suit the 1.6 head and used an opened up a 1.3 manifold gasket. The 1.3 exhaust manifold was a perfect fit. As long as you use a low pressure fuel pump you don't need a regulator.
The 1.3 dizzy can be used but you also need to fit the 90deg drive from the 1.3 as well, O-ring as far as I recall is the same.
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack
1986 SJ413K PickUp, 1.6L conversion.

OBD1 - Full diagnostics on a PC/Laptop: http://www.rhinopower.org

Offline SNJSamurai

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 07:12:21 PM »
what do you have to do the pulleys? if your using the 1.6 alt do you have to change the pulleys?

well i got the motor today but my friend ended up taking it back. I never checked it at the yard but i should of because when i got home i pulled the plugs and tried to turn the crank and she wasnt moving.

I pulled the head off and soaked the cylinder walls with wd-40 let it sit for 2 hours soaked it again then tried to crank on it again and it broke loose but 2 piston rings on 2 pistons decided to brake. Here to find out there was at least a gallon of water in the oil pan.

So, Im backing looking for a motor. This really sucks because I was looking forward to doing this swap but the search is still on. my friend is calling other yards to find one for me.
Bob

Offline Rhinoman

• Rhinoman
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 05:57:57 AM »
I only had a bare 1.6 engine so I used the 1.3 alternator and all other ancillaries. I carefully redrilled the 1.3 bottom pulley to a 4 bolt fixing.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 05:59:57 AM by Rhinoman »
2000 Vitara 1.6, 3+3 Lift, 33"MTs, 5:83s, LWB brakes, Winch, Snorkel, Safari Rack

Offline SNJSamurai

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 05:57:47 PM »
alright sweet thanks for the info.
Bob

Offline idaholwb

• And that's the way the metal crumpled!
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 08:06:32 PM »
 You use one engine mount bracket from the 1.6 and the other from the 1.3. Use the kit from Trailtough. The crank pulley and waterpump pulley use from the 1.6. The starter and alternator from the 1.6. Do no grinding on the starter or the block. It's a lot simpler than you are making it out to be.
 The best version of this swap that I've found to do is use the 1.3 head on the 1.6 8V short block. You will need the 1.6 conversion kit, head gasket set, timing belt for the 1.6 8V, timing gear for the cam off the 1.6 because the timing belt tooth profile is different. It has incredible low end and mid-range torque. And there is no need for an electric fuel pump or miscellaneous wiring. To simplify what mounts you need, but it costs more, is to get the engine conversion kit from Petroworks. It has full circle motor mounts that lower the engine and slightly offset it to the passenger side to allow for hood clearance and manifold clearance for the 16V 1.6, it also has a lowered transmission mount.
97 Sport
265/70-16s
2" lift
2.0 swap
I know...Pretty boring... FOR NOW...

Offline SNJSamurai

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 09:10:45 PM »
thanks for the info. 

Im picking up a whole car from bentparts when i come back from flordia.

he said the 1.6 just had a new clutch put in it when he bought it for parts. I remember reading something about a 1.6 clutch wont work in the 1.3 transmission.  :-\

oh will a 1.6 header bolt up to the samurai exhaust? or should i just use the 1.3 header?
Bob

phloop

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 09:46:19 PM »
I only had a bare 1.6 engine so I used the 1.3 alternator and all other ancillaries. I carefully redrilled the 1.3 bottom pulley to a 4 bolt fixing.

Didn't the 1.3's already have the 4 bolt hole pulley?

Offline Rhinoman

• Rhinoman
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 04:13:03 AM »
I've seen a 1.6 clutch used but the guy refaced the flywheel and redrilled the mounts. Search the web for Nitromax. The 1.3 header looked a better fit to the 1.6 header than the 1.6 header so I just used that. I don't know if the 1.6 header will match up to the 1.3 exhaust, never tried it.

Offline Rhinoman

• Rhinoman
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 04:14:35 AM »

Didn't the 1.3's already have the 4 bolt hole pulley?

Ah yes you're right. What I meant to say was that I carefully redrilled the 1.3 bottom pulley to a 5 bolt fixing.

Offline SNJSamurai

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 10:17:40 PM »
I've seen a 1.6 clutch used but the guy refaced the flywheel and redrilled the mounts. Search the web for Nitromax. The 1.3 header looked a better fit to the 1.6 header than the 1.6 header so I just used that. I don't know if the 1.6 header will match up to the 1.3 exhaust, never tried it.

That is a smart idea with how he drilled the pressure plate for the hole in the 1.3 flywheel. when i pull the motor. I'm going to see how much life is in my 1.3 clutch, then I'll decide. He did the 1.6 clutch because of the supercharger. (wish we had that in the states) Right now my clutch don't slip so hopefully when I'm done the swapping the 1.6, the clutch doesn't start to slip. If it does oh well  :-\

Thanks for the info on the header too. Just wasn't sure if the 1.3 header will reduce the power of the motor.

Ordering all my parts tomorrow so when i get home for Florida, they'll be waiting for me.  ;D
Bob